The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning and adapting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
From the time you read or view a card effect, how long does it take you to get to the point where you feel you've "got it." Not necessarily performance level, but good enough to know you'll get there eventually.

I feel overwhelmed by the time constraints for learning the effect and refining and adapting the patter.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
The learning curve grows shorter as you continue on with your magic.

Some new effects if you already know say an elm---- can be learned quickly.

Some are more challenging to me, just because I can't remember the sequence...that is what comes next.

Where are you in your journey.

I am still learning after 30 + years of performing.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Flamel
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Flamel
It depends on the complexity of the card effect. If there is a special 'move' or core skill to master, it will take some time for muscle memory to learn, kick in and adapt...however the time span for this phenomena is different for everyone and is somewhat subjective. I doubt there is a consistent answer to your question but I encourage you to relax, walk away when your just not 'getting it' so you don't get too discouraged, and try it again the next day. Personally, I have found perseverance is the key but you need to keep it fun/light, otherwise you'll be discouraged. Also, come at it from different angles, read, watch, or possibly learn from a more experienced teacher. The more time you spend on the effect, the more likely you'll come up with organic elements to add to the scripted patter or your own patter will develop altogether. Best of luck brother.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Perserverance is the key.

Motivation + desire + time are three elements I talk about a lot with students I work with at the middle and high school level. It also applies in our "bigger kid" world.

I never had the motivation to become better at say basketball or foosball.
On the other hand I am a decent ping pong(aka table tennis) player....using the above formula...motivation...+ time....+ desire

sometimes one of items above drops down in value...the other "two" can pick up the slack.

Regarding cards...I put more time into coin magic..and puppetry ...especially ventriloquism...the results...

I am better at coins and puppets than say ...cards...

I hope you continue to use this Café and get an in person mentor to guide you.

I was lucky to have many in the Kansas City area, and when I moved to the west coast (Reno) found even more.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Quote:
I feel overwhelmed by the time constraints

Don’t let time work against you. Time shouldn’t be a factor at all. I can imagine two different reasons it would concern you, and neither of them is valid.

First, if you’re rushing to meet an upcoming show, don’t! Use the effects you’re familiar with, and set aside any that are still causing you problems. To “try” an effect on stage that you can’t do “in your sleep” is an invitation to catastrophe.

On the other hand, if you’re just learning, like Flamel said, be ready to lay it aside before you become frustrated. Pick it up tomorrow, or even next week.

While you’re learning, don’t fret if you can’t do at full speed. Perform the moves as slowly as you need to, to get them right. When the moves are consistently correct, pick up the pace, just a little, until it becomes challenging again, then work at that level for a while. That’s growth.

Harris is right about the learning curve. As you develop, you pick up tools that are similar (or even identical) from one effect to another. Also, you’ll probably be able to work out alternate handlings, different ways of getting the same thing done that work a little better for you personally.

Maybe it’s a function of age (not necessarily “wisdom”), but I’ve found that sometimes it’s just not worth the effort. That doesn’t mean I’ll quit trying to learn the new sleight, but maybe start looking around for other methods. Don’t get hung up on the idea that you have to do anything “just like it says in the book”. The audience doesn’t know whether you’re using Elmsley, Hamman, or DL (TL, QL, nL, et al) and in the end, the audience is the only ones who count.

Above all, have fun. If the Magic doesn’t entertain YOU, something’s wrong!

Good luck, take your time, enjoy!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thank you all for your advice. I will take what I can from it. I am a newbie, but I have started on this royal road twice before and had to stop b/c of being pretty exhausted after a day's work. But that is my problem to work on.

Currently, I am also reading Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic which is a very interesting read. But it also tends to exacerbate one's perfectionist streak, if you're unlucky enough to have one. After reading a few pages I simply want to re-edit every syllable I ever pattered. But maybe it's a slow process and is meant to be. The last time I started on the royal road I was between jobs...lotta time to kill. Thanks again.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
jtb
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of jtb
I am still fairly new to magic and I think that the comments above are quite accurate.

If you don't have some enjoyment during the process of learning then something is not right.

Certainly the goal of performing before others is the ultimate goal and thrill but if you find yourself making excuses not practice (like I did) and deciding to read a book or watch a DVD rather than practice (I also did this) well then I examined how I approached magic.

First I started with something I WANTED to practice. Like Harris,I stopped practicing cards because I did not enjoy that as much as other aspects.

Then,I broke my practice down into smaller steps, one part of move or a routine.
As I got proficient with that move then the enthusiasm built to become good at the whole trick.

Hope this helps a little.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
We do put in the time to things we "want to do". Thus I mow more than I use the grass trimmer.

I have found many card effects I like. Such as Rene Lavand's oil and water. Since I am a vent, learing one handed routines made sense to me.

Also this theme..(oil and water) is a bit "timely". (pun intended)

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
oOMagiiCOo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of oOMagiiCOo
I think it completely depends on the complexity of the effect as you can learn some moves in minutes whereas complex moves such as the centre deal can take years.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning and adapting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL