The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Crochet Close Up Mat (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
The other day I was crocheting a scarf and as the fabric ran through my hands I realized that it might be really nice to make a close up mat out of the material. So I am currently figuring out how it will look and plan to start soon. It will have a really tight crochet so the surface will not catch to bad on anything.I will also be able to roll it up and it will flatten out fine.

Any suggestions? Have any of you tried or seen this before? Something to add? Is there a special feature that you think would be neat to include? I will throw in some pictures of the progress I make.

As always,
Dylan
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'll bet such a pad will conceal IT very, very well. Let us know how it goes!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
That is a fantastic idea Gaddy. I had not thought of it with a nice black yarn ther is not a chance of them seeing it.

As always,
Dylan
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Interesting even if a commercial production would make it hard for the deliveries to be in time with the orders

Maybe once you have a set pattern, you could sell it as a kit and let our girlfriends or wives get to work.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Have a look at Ross Bertram's "Welcome Mat" which was a close up mat he knitted, or crocheted, himself. It's described in his second book, "Ross Bertram on Sleight of Hand". (IIRC) There are certainly possibilities there for trickery, and you might be able to see the mat in action on Youtube, if the Ross Bertram clips are still up.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
Well if some of you might be interested in a pattern let me know a ball park of what size you are looking at. I have been mulling it over and can not seem to make up my mind. So if you have a favorite size mat give me the dimensions and I will go with that.

I saw Bertrams Welcome Mat but the quality was pretty poor. I could not really tell that it was crocheted or knitted. I will have to pick up that book in week or so.

As always,
Dylan
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Years ago, I learned to crochet so I could make myself a custom set of "olives" both large (final load) and small for the cups & balls. I still have them and still use them. I have long forgotten how to crochet, though. Ha-ha!!

I think a close-up mat would really look nice with a very tight crochet. I would imagine some excellent possibilities for color patterns or borders. I recall seeing a guy many years ago using what looked like a very tiny Persian rug for a close-up mat. He didn't use it for card work and such, but as a nice augmentation for the props. It really added a lot to the set dressing, and made everything else seem more important.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
664 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I sometimes like to use a smaller mat about 6"x12".
If it is made of yarn it may need some weight or some cording around the edge may be useful and may be a contrasting color for looks.
Maybe a pattern could be included like an Ace of Spades, or the AHCD pips in the center.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
370 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
This sounds interesting to me. If you end up making custom designs for people, I have a thought for one for myself. Keep us posted.
Magic is where you find it.....
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
I have had a couple people contact me with requests for personal work and I am happy to consider all requests. Being in college with summer right around the corner I would have the time to fill in some orders if you have them. PM me here if you have an idea and I will see if we can make it happen.

Oh and the mat has come pretty far. I almost half way done and hope to have a photo of the material up soon.

As always,
Dylan
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
I am so sorry. I finished this project awhile ago and completely forgot to post pictures for you guys. To make up for it here is a video of the mat. Enjoy and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42TGA0vguFc

As always,
Dylan
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Interesting. It looks very nice.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
funnyclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Burlingame, CA
344 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
I'm curious how well do cards slide on the surface? I know with a velvet surface cards slide easily. It looks great. Thanks for posting video.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
Thank you Mr. Palmer.

Cards move very smooth over the surface. The yarn used for the middle is of high quality and is very soft and I used a small hook to do the whole thing. The smaller the hook the tighter and smoother the material. It is very nice and cards and coins move nicely around the surface.

As always,
Dylan
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Great job Dylan. Perhaps you've started a new trend with your crocheted mats.
Chris G.
View Profile
New user
Germany
62 Posts

Profile of Chris G.
Looks good! I like it.

Chris
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Very nice!

Have you thought of trying designs in the center? A monogram or logo would be great!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Crochet Close Up Mat (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL