The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Got Patina? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Well done, Richard. I really like the contrast.

Fortasse
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Wow, those Sherwoods look spectacular! Don't think I'd ever have the guts to do that to a set! Really nice result though
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 19:00, Richard Evans wrote:
Thanks both for your positive comments.

dsalley13: The MM blackened cups do have that HG Wells 'steampunk' look, don't they! Smile

Yes. I was going to say "Steampunk" but I figured no one would get what I am talking about. It's good to meet a fellow cuppie, that is a also a science fiction aficionado. They would make great Dr. Who cups too, for the right Doctor. Kind of a Dalek look to them also. Wonderful cups sir.

Oh fine! Now I've outed myself as a "Whovian"!

dsalley13
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I must confess that I, too, am a Whovian.

I'm still having a bit of trouble getting used to the new Dr., though. I am a big David Tennant fan.

I wonder how difficult it would be to have that Peter Dyson solution shipped over here.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Not too difficult I would suspect. I get books from Great Britain regularly. The shipping is usually extremely high, but they get here in days, not weeks.

I'm not sure if the liquids are hazardous or volatile. I'd ask the manufacturer if he has had experience sending things here.

David Tennant was wonderful as the Doctor. He was one of my favourites. Tom Baker is my all-time (bad pun, intentional) favourite Doctor Who.

I used to use a little kraft-board and painted T.A.R.D.I.S. as a production box (Genie-Tube style) as one of my classroom-Magic props. I gave it to one of my best students when I retired from teaching. It was from a BBC approved kit and great fun to paint, decal, assemble, and gaff. I think I shall try to find another of those kits. it was fun, at least for those of us that were Whovians, as so many children here were when it ran on PBS-TV stations for years.

dsalley13
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
There's no shame in being a Whovian! It's a great show (and Bill, Matt Smith will grow on you).

Not sure about shipping the Dyson patinising solutions, but I can imagine that they're the type of product that might be restricted. It's worth asking them, though.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Richard:- Those Sherwoods look nothing short of spectacular! I am sorely tempted but I wouldn't want to copy your unique set.

Bill, if you have any trouble getting and shipped, email me and I'll sort it out.

Oh and Matt Smith can't hold a candle to David Tennant, though if I could choose anyone for the next Dr Who I would have to say that I personally think that Eddie Izzard would be P - E - R - F - E- C - T for the role....

Bri
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Quote:
...I personally think that Eddie Izzard would be P - E - R - F - E- C - T for the role....

Bri

Yes he would!!!! Brilliant! He's just quirky enough to pull off the role perfectly.

dsalley13
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I reckon so but then I am biased because I think Eddie is a bl****y genius. I also think there's a lot more going on than people realise when he performs, analogue marking, anchoring, pacing and leading etc.

Either way, he'd have to ditch the high heels if he were running from Daleks!

Bri
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Many of Eddie's Lego animations and voice-overs are available on YouTube. Fall down laughing good!!!!

Dsalley13
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
The lego animation of the Death Star Canteen always makes me giggle.

By the way, I am also a Whovian.
I think that David Tennant was the best but Matt Smith is growing on me.
"But there isn't a door"
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-06-11 16:21, Tom Fenton wrote:
I think that David Tennant was the best but Matt Smith is growing on me.

He's growing on me too, like a wart!
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2010-06-11 15:29, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
Richard:- Those Sherwoods look nothing short of spectacular! I am sorely tempted but I wouldn't want to copy your unique set.

Bri: I'm not laying claim to any sort of exclusivity for these. You're welcome to give it a go. I'd be happy to give you all the details of the methods I used.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I'll PM you Richard if that's okay...
Bri
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Me too, if I may ask. I would love to have full instructions on doing this to my set of Penguin cups. Mine are copper, so that may present some different results, but I would sure like to try. These would go over great at the VFW post I perform at once a month. They would love the military-ordnance look of cups done your way.

Well, "perform" is a strong word. Sometimes I just listen to the older vets (and younger) stories and play gin-rummy with them into the wee hours. If any American has the spare time, I urge you to do this for our heroes. There's at least one VFW post in every medium to large city in the USA.

dsalley13
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Hello,
I don't want to take this thread off into a tangent. However, I have a question about how to take the lacquer coating off of my copper cups. They are fairly old and have become dingy. Not a patina just dark and dingy. I’ve tried using a good copper polish but with the coating that’s on them it’s hard to get thru to the copper surface. Is the coating on copper cups usually lacquer and what is the best/safest way to remove it?

Thanks,
Tom
Regards,
Silverthorne
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Search your area for Metal Polishing.
Take the cups to a shop and talk to the proprietor. Any shop that polishes should have a solution for you.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Tom, checkout this thread I did a few years ago. Depending on the coating on the cups this should work.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Thanks, Todd. I guess I didn't do a very thorough search. I appreciate the information.

Tom
Regards,
Silverthorne
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Got Patina? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL