The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dress For Success (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
What does a mentalist look like? My lunch date politely told me that I don’t fit the bill (my character wears all black, including a western hat, BUT, with a bright, red sport jacket). He pointed out that Max Maven is the ultimate mentalist, if we see mentalism as mysterious, mystic and enigmatic. While I agree that Max looks FABulous, I tend to believe that there is all kind of space for each persona, without lowering the initial expectations of the audience – audience expectations being the key caveat here. Whadayathink?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
Generally speaking people don't even know what "mentalist" means. Their perception of you might not have a word associated to it. It sounds like you look like a cowboy. I believe elegance is the key. Also, you might check out the TV show "the mentalist". As popular as it is, there are also a hundred other crime shows out there. Look at how the investigators question witnesses. Body language conveys a lot when combined with the right attire. Here are some ideas for dress but they are only my personal preference.

- Dress Shoes, not boots
- Vest
- Pocketwatch
- Jacket or long jacket
- Tie

P.S. If I wear a fedora hat people walk up to me and ask me if I'm a magician. I thought it was noteworthy to point that out.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
In most venues, I wear a business suit and tie. Actually, that is a must for corporate work.

For private parties, also a business suit.

If its a private party around the pool, I wear dress slacks, open neck shirt and a blazer.

I think "all black" is passe, but that's just my observation. As far as Max goes, that is his choice. I don't believe he sets the standard for the rest of us as far as wordrobe goes.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
The BIG question: what type of character are you trying to be? Who is your target audience and what impression do you want to put in their minds? These are decisions you will have to make for yourself. These decisions will lead you in the direction you seek.

Your dress should be congruent with your character and your positioning strategy. I don't believe there is a such thing as a correct answer that will fit everyone. Just the right answer for YOU. In fact, if you try to look outside yourself and copy another person's style, then you are likely going in the wrong direction.

Dress like David Blaine, Criss Angel, Donald Trump, Clint Eastwood, or whatever seems to fit your vision. If your dress is different than anyone out there, that may be a good thing as long as it makes sense and differentiates you in the way you intend.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2010-06-03 19:29, Scott Burton wrote: Your dress should be congruent with your character and your positioning strategy. I don't believe there is a such thing as a correct answer that will fit everyone.

I agree completely, Scott. I told my friend that the world already has a Max Maven. We don’t need another one. We already have a Banachek and an Osterlind. Two Doc Hilfords may be one two many. So, dressing and/or making myself more like Max would be making me less like me.

He seemed to understand that, but was still a little adamant about my blazing, red jacket. “It doesn’t say mysterious,” he offered. The thing is, I’m not looking for mysterious. I want my persona to convey pleasant, lighted hearted entertainment, laced with enough comedy to get them laughing and leave them smiling. But, his idea of what a mentalist should convey raised the question I put to you guys… “What does a mentalist look like?”

Quote:
On 2010-06-03 19:14, Tony Razzano wrote: In most venues, I wear a business suit and tie. Actually, that is a must for corporate work.

I don’t know if that’s always the case, Tony. I do a lot of corporate work and I never wear a tie. I don’t wear a suit (per se) but I do wear my red jacket, black dress pants and black shirt and black business shoes. I’ve seen Banachek get by with a dark turtleneck. Does that count as a suit? Seriously… I don’t know if it does or not.

Quote:
On 2010-06-03 18:35, Daniel Normandeau wrote: Generally speaking people don't even know what "mentalist" means.

I agree. At table-hopping gigs, they always ask, “What’s that!”

Quote:
On 2010-06-03 18:35, Daniel Normandeau wrote: If I wear a fedora hat people walk up to me and ask me if I'm a magician.

I think we can thank Harry Anderson for that. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Quote:
On 2010-06-03 18:24, MichaelCGM wrote:
What does a mentalist look like? My lunch date politely told me that I don’t fit the bill (my character wears all black, including a western hat, BUT, with a bright, red sport jacket). He pointed out that Max Maven is the ultimate mentalist, if we see mentalism as mysterious, mystic and enigmatic. While I agree that Max looks FABulous, I tend to believe that there is all kind of space for each persona, without lowering the initial expectations of the audience – audience expectations being the key caveat here. Whadayathink?

Looks aren't everything. The chemistry and connection between you and your audience is what's key. Also to borrow a Joel Bauer term.." delivering the goods " is what really matters.

I know I am generalizing here..but I think dressing in all black, the hippie look, the goth look, the tatoo's and piercings look, the gypsy look etc. All that to me is sort of " gimmicky ". I guess I understand trying to fit into a certain persona is important to some. But I also think that a really talented mystery performer can deliver the goods wearing a polo shirt and slacks or on-stage with a sports coat and slacks.

But that's just me.
Self concept is destiny..
Memory Maven
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Memory Maven
Max Maven wears all black, shapes and colors his beard, shapes and colors his hair, puts on makeup, wears an earring, pulls his hair back into some sort of braid. Max Maven's advice to other mentalists is to be yourself and not to copy him. Max's style works for him because it's his character.

Being a mentalist has to do with your mindset and how you carry yourself. When you stand in front of a mirror, what do you see?
(a) someone who wants to be a mentalist
(b) someone who is trying to be a mentalist
(c) a mentalist

If your answer is (c), you have nothing to worry about.
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Yannou
You mention Max Maven. Ken Weber specifically mentions him in Maximum Entertainment. Weber says he should/ could have been the next Dunninger or Kreskin as far as skills are concerned, but people are put off by the way he looks. They can't relate to him as 'one of us'. I'm not sure if I agree or not with this opinion, but it just goes to show how different opinions can be on this subject.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-06-03 19:29, Scott Burton wrote:
The BIG question: what type of character are you trying to be? Who is your target audience and what impression do you want to put in their minds? These are decisions you will have to make for yourself. These decisions will lead you in the direction you seek.

Your dress should be congruent with your character and your positioning strategy. I don't believe there is a such thing as a correct answer that will fit everyone. Just the right answer for YOU. In fact, if you try to look outside yourself and copy another person's style, then you are likely going in the wrong direction.

Dress like David Blaine, Criss Angel, Donald Trump, Clint Eastwood, or whatever seems to fit your vision. If your dress is different than anyone out there, that may be a good thing as long as it makes sense and differentiates you in the way you intend.

Great way to put it clearly. Thanks. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
CHALLENGE:

For those who state they can perform mentalism with just a pencil and paper with psych forces...

Go to Amsterdam and perform nude.

I dares ya.

It will be contextually ok in the Red Light District where live sex shows are OK.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Don't you think though a mentalist will look to much like a magician if he displays a magic wand?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
No - I got a feeling the mentalist, who scoffs at the magician, will not have a wand... but may reveal having a TT NW
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Here in the Netherlands, the first time most people saw a mentalist was on "The New Uri Geller" television show. Hence, they would expect mostly black suits, but once in a while you get the oddjob: The Mask and this year's winner the Joker being two prime examples. The difference was that in most cases the clothes added to the character of the performer. They wouldn't telegraph the word mentalist to the audience at first glance. They did it themselves during their performance.

If your clothes don't give the right first impression, try to find a quick effect in your repertoire that can do the same thing.
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
My take on this is that being a mentalist is what you do, not who you are. Dress according to your personality or persona. Also dress for the situation. Suit when warranted. Casual when warranted. But always neat and clean.

Character “costume” to suit your persona and the situation.

Cheers
Frank

And the suit I'm wearin in my avatar image is just a suit... same one I wear for the "Day Job", weddings, etc.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I've got some gigs coming up at a nudist camp-site.
I wonder if people will recognise me as a mentalist.

Steve
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I think the audience should dictate the dress code.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I can't remember the source (though I think it's mentioned in Maximum Entertainment)

But the phrase "Dress as if you're going somewhere better, later" suits me.

"Suits me". You see what I did there? I'm wasted on you lot.

Steve
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
That's a good POV for life in general.

Perception is reality.
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 08:24, insight wrote:
I think the audience should dictate the dress code.

Exactly. To quote Al Koran, A performer should be as well dressed as the best dressed guest. For me the venue and the audience are always the deciding factors. I try to match their dress code then add something to stand out.

Dusty
aka Max Gordon
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
A performer should be as well dressed as the best dressed guest.

It's worth pointing out that being well dressed does not always mean smartly dressed, at least not 'smart' in it's usual sense of formal clothing and shiney shoes.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dress For Success (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL