The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Building a 6 figure income (a 90 day plan) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
In this project YES 100% SEO

a few reasons WHY I am doing this so openly

1. I have seen many of my clients (from the marketing company) have MASSIVE increases in their service based business and want to see if it holds true to entertainers as well.
2. I've had a few entertainers harass me because my site is so BAD and marketed so poorly (I haven't touched it in 2 years until last week and over 2 years went from #1 for the terms I wanted to #5 for a few of them) so it is also a practice what you preach type thing
3. From what I have seen the Birthday party market and medium sized corporate events can be qualified through the Net so these are the demographics we will be targeting
4. the alterer motive, I need a VERY strong case study for the marketing company, and turning a company into a 6 figure business over the course of a few months would do that and give me the marketing and sales materials to do the SAME for the marketing company (selling to small business owners, not magicians)

from what I am seeing ith online marketing it's about learning how to target your keyword rankings with the right copy.. if someone is searching for
Atlanta childrens entertainment
what are they looking for
a birthday? a picnic entertainer? there is no way to know so the page that ranks for that needs to be an overview of why the company is the ONLY logical choice for any event needing family friendly entertainment

on the same note if a parent types in
pirate party buford
the page they enter the site on needs to be about pirate parties and give them Options and so on
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Ah, that makes sense why this project is such a great fit for you (especially with the consulting business). I wish you all the best success and look forward to celebrating your accomplishments with you!
sherifmayika
View Profile
New user
Cochin, Kerala
96 Posts

Profile of sherifmayika
This is inspiring. I will closely watch your success.
Your web site is your face. If customer did not find what he is looking for inside your site he would become angry or underestimate you. Same thing is true if your site is filled with lots of content. Edit, edit, edit. Trim, trim, trim. Finally look at the design and ask does your site clearly say what you intended to say. An answer to the customer. Ask your friends what they feel. Have a clean and elegant design. This will increase your value up to many extend
Lou Serrano's home page is an example clear communication.
superpixel
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
131 Posts

Profile of superpixel
As a professional site manager (responsible mostly for the content and day-to-day operations as we have designers and our parent company provides the backend), I agree with Aladin that you need to trim that website down to the bone.

Studies that were widely circulated last month show how addled the average web user is. If I can't figure out that you're a fit for my needs within 5 seconds, you're probably gone... I hit back and try another Google hit and all the SEO in the world won't help you (and I know a lot about SEO -- try looking up "how to start a game company" and realize I wrote that over 4 years ago!).

Aside from the web stuff I'm keenly interested in the business practices you're talking about. Sounds a lot like the "Four hour work week" methodology Tim Ferris writes about. Stuff like outsourcing, automation and scaling the business and putting yourself in a high-margin niche (or at least being able to charge top dollar) are hallmarks.

Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing more progress.
-- superpixel = Victor --
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Yeah we are working on the website (been a couple crazy weeks with work so I am a week behind schedule)
the goal is to have landing pages for specific things.
example: if someone types in pirate party we want them to come into the site on a page about pirate parties..
so we will be working on very specific content for each keyword phrase..

and umm let em go back to google once we get going.. we will OWN the front page.. it's a ALL roads lead to Rome mindset

and ya know your the 3rd person to mention the 4hr work week to me.. I need to read that.. but I used to be an Exec in a LARGE company so I am just using those skills to build a team to book MANY more gigs with a strong marketing system with high conversions..
Fred Kirkland
View Profile
New user
Ga.
96 Posts

Profile of Fred Kirkland
Show me the money and I will work for you. I am looking for a Strong Marking System to build a group that will get the gigs to make me what I am worth. Mike you go guy. Fred K Magic
Fred Kirkland family entertainer & magician
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Hi Mike,

I always enjoy your posts. You seem to be the kind of guy who takes initiative and gets things done.

I would like to offer this one caveat about the book, The 4-Hour Work Week. That was the first book I downloaded to my Kindle when I got one last year. And I was really looking forward to reading it, but I was a little disappointed with some of the author's "unethical" suggestions.

For instance, there are a few examples where you are actually encouraged to LIE to your present employer in order to set up certain circumstances in your favor. Those who've read the book will know what I'm talking about.

I was really intrigued by the hype and buzz about this book, but I must say I was disheartened that some of his action-items actually included lying.

Something for you to consider anyway.

Oscar
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Oscar,

Interesting. I had not heard of that before. I've heard of the hype on the book also, but haven't touched it yet for another reason:

From what I've been reading, they advocate a LOT of outsourcing to VAs, folks who amount to slave labor. Sounds like a practice that wouldn't be legal if the labor were in the States.

I don't like the idea of contributing to the growing trend of job flight to other countries and it sounds like that is the core of their book.

I'm all for automation and finding a powerful niche market, but just don't like the ideas of hiring an assistant to work for pennies. Makes me feel dirty.

Aside from this and the lying (boy, that's two VERY big caveats!) how did you find the material? Is anything in it useful for folks like us?
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Hi Scott,

Not to stray too far off-topic, but since you asked ... AND since the topic is on building a six-figure business:

Yes, there's some good advice in this book. It's an interesting read, and his ideas about automating your business are valid. Especially those concerning a renewed focus on being compensated for results versus time.

But you're right. There is an emphasis on streamlining, outsourcing and getting VAs. And I too found that distasteful, since I "used" to supervise a tech support desk and watched our first level support go to the Philippines.

Plus, and it could be just me, but I felt some of his ideas bordered on bohemian, and not necessarily practical for mature adults. Again, this is a personal observation. According to the reviews on Amazon, there's a ton of people who completely disagree with my assessment.

I think the author, Timothy Ferriss struck a chord when he developed an appealing hook of the 4-hour Work Week that's attractive to a lot of people. And for that he's being rewarded - probably rightly so.

Oscar
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Thanks for the insights. I appreciate that.

---
We now return to this thread, already in progress. *grin*
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You can count me in, Mike.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1354 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
It has been about 90 days. How is it going?

ACE
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22590 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mike Clay, maybe needs to read up on goal setting and time management. Said he would give weekly reports/updates, but has abandon us since June 16th, only 11 days of between the start and finish.

Or he made his 6 figure income and decided it was to good to give away. Don't blame him for that, it is a normal re-action.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1354 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Maybe he is out spending the money. Smile

No, really, I salute you! If I was 30 years younger, I would go for it!

But here is how I work, for what it is worth:

1. Set reasonable goals,
2. Achieve them.
3. Set another reasonable goal,
4. Repeat.

Results: No frustrations!

I have a major Marketing degree and went right to work for a major fortune 500 company right after college, so we had to do it all. I quit within 2 years to do magic full time, lets see, that was about 1980. lol, I am not rich, but boy, I am happy! I LOVE my job. I make enough money to do pretty much what I want. I have lots of time off, I take 2 vacations a year, usually one to a magic convention, and one to the beach. I run a one man business, and I stayed in my home town, which I dearly love. So I make a little less. But it is all worth it for peace of mind. Now I am looking forward to retirement in a few years. You have to do what makes you happy, or not do it at all.
NO STRESS. Nobody tells me what to do, and I don't have to tell anyone else what to do.

How many people can say they really LOVE their job?

Just my secret formula that I live by.

ACE Smile
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Ok so the update (=

Went great for the 30 days I worked on it...
increased bookings almost 200% (needed 400% to hit the 6 figures)

and then I was hired as a consultant for a very large project that I couldn't turn down and had to shelve it for now..

with this I have done 0 birthday parties (I farmed them out to other entertainers) and have ONLY done corporate events and gigs..

My calendar is full through March for the most part. (split between entertainment, speaking, personal coaching, and lecturing)

This was a GREAT project for me and I learned enough to be able to hit 6 figures with an entertainment company by booking gigs and also keeping a handful of other entertainers booked (line up the OTHERS 1st.. this REALLY slowed me down)

once I get these other projects that I am on I will go back to this one..

but as far as hitting it in 90 days.. I didn't do it.. but I did see a massive increase in multiple areas of my business's so while I didn't hit the 6 figures I do consider this a success..

and will try the 90 days once again soon..
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Congratulations Mike. I think it's a major success. You created a major goal for yourself, and I'm sure you got much further than if you hadn't created any goals.

It's much better to set a goal and fall short than to create no goals and hit your target.

Wishing you continued success!

Lou Serrano
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1354 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Thanks for the update and glad you are doing well!

Just remember to ENJOY what you do.

All the best,

ACE
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22590 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dang, I thought he was going to share what his plan was and how we could all become 6 figure income magicians. Sad, I mis-read the post again.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
I am happy to share the plan

Phase 1.
Building my marketing plan
I used Marketing Plan Pro
with projections and included the demographics of each services client.

The marketing plan had a few MAJOR points to it..
1. Facebook marketing - this had the highest cost to conversion RATIO
2. Lead Capture video campaign - (a series of videos on HOW to plan a party, that lead to a website "not the main site" that is a email list capture... 250 in the list from this single source with over 90% local moms)
3. List building - (included 3 free shows to local MOPS groups, 2 shows to local churches) in return a letter was given to all parents about a mailing list for kids activities (another 120 people from this list "it included mailing addresses")
4. Website revamp (was never finished, but the bookings form works)
5. Sending out an email to the WHOLE list weekly (I now have over 600 in the list total)

---

This is the basic plan...
what I fell short doing

- I am not emailing the list weekly with a solid Call to action (each one I send has a cupon or a book 2 gigs and pay get the 3rd one free or something)
- I have not been updating and keeping the FB page and blog very well which has caused a drop in return traffic
- I am not getting enough tips out to keep people excited about the list

Each mailing of the list is getting MULTIPLE bookings

--

does that answer some of the questions??
if you have any specific questions I will be more than happy to answer them..
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1140 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Thanks for sharing. Keep me posted.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Building a 6 figure income (a 90 day plan) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL