We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » We are not alone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 17:25, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 11:52, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I hope that if there is life out there, I live long enough to see solid evidence.

John

Which, of course, explains why I look like a lump of coal Smile

Well if this story is at all true. If they are made from methane gas. More than likely they won't be solid so you won't see any of them.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 18:56, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 18:12, Payne wrote:
But it's fun to postulate that we might have found life existing outside of out planet.

Of course. It would also be somewhat depressing to know we are the best there is.

Not really. It could serve as a wake up call to humanity to know that we are in such a unique position in the universe.

There seems to be only a few scenarios out there:

1.) We are alone. Life does not/cannot exist elsewhere. This seems bleak, however we're still chugging along nicely here -gulf oil spill and immanent threat of nuclear holocaust excepted...

With a bit of luck and applied wisdom, we will thrive and move into the cosmos, and spread DNA based life to an otherwise barren universe. Not a bad thing, I guess...

2.) We are surrounded. The universe it teeming with life of all sorts. The "Star Trek" scenario. Humanity will bounce off of a seeming infinity of life, some like us, others so unlike us as to be completely incomprehensible.

This is a rather frightening possibility if "Evolution" holds to be a constant factor in the development of "Life" throughout the universe. We will most likely encounter someone who is "better adapted" than us... And hungry!

This scenario also includes the possibility of a sort of "Groovy Universal Brotherhood ™ " in which one or more advanced species (or dare I say it... "God"!) attain enlightenment and high technology. Perhaps they shepherd life throughout the universe -Perhaps, some day, we'll meet a real life "GORT".

This scenario has many variations. Extremely rare intelligent life, Abundant but impossibly distant intelligent life, All intelligent life approximately of equal progress/evolution... ETC

3.) We're the 1st intelligent life form in the universe. All other life in the "Knowable Universe" (perhaps reasonably defined as our galaxy...) is very simple. This is perhaps the best situation that Humanity can be in. We set the stage, we control the pace of the development of life in the universe. And there is no one who will come along to ruin the party for us, except us...

We get to use all the basic building blocks of nature to our own ends -Life in it's endless and extraterrestrial variety, and we won't have to worry about any pesky "Prime Directive" ethical quandaries.

Yay us!

4.) We're the LAST (currently) intelligent life in the Universe... The MOST depression scenario, in my opinion. Life is doomed to fail. Intelligent life will almost inevitably destroy itself or somehow end-up belly up. It's happened before, and it will happen again -with US ! Who knows, maybe we'll be the ones to "break the curse" -no one has in 14+/- BILLION years, but HEY!

Yay us!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Gaddy, what an excellent post!

Yay us!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-08 03:28, stoneunhinged wrote:
Gaddy, what an excellent post!

Yay us!

Thanks Jeff -as an avid reader of science fiction since I was a tyke, I've given this a lot of thought over the years.

Things are not going quite as quickly as many of the visionary SF writers of the past had planned, but besides a few minor, technical, hurdles; and a brief-but-disturbing general trend towards anti-science and anti-intellectualism, the future is well on it's way.

The REAL fun will begin when the aliens show up, though!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
They don't sound anywhere near capable of kidnapping and probing rednecks in isolated backwoods.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » We are not alone (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL