The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Predict-Tac-Toe (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Have any of you guys used this in the real world, and how has it played out? Strong reactions?

Paul
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I am not familiar with "Predict-Tac-Toe" but from the title I assume it is an effect that culminates with the fact that the performer has successfully predicted the outcome of a game of Tic-Tac-Toe. There is, however, a Tic-Tac-Toe force that accomplishes the same thing in the late Martin Gardner's book "Mathematics, Magic and Mystery" and which is described by Johnny Thompson in the "Polish Epic" routine in "Polished Polish Prestidigitation" (1981). IMO it plays very well when presented properly either alone or as part of Thompson'sthe larger "Polish Epic" routine.
Dick Christian
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2585 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
The underlying method can also be found in Mark Wilson's Magic Book. There is a specific presentation that I have worked on which goes over very well. So yes, it can be quite a routine.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Predict-tac-toe (I believe) is Osterlind's version of this effect. I cannot now remember exactly what they were, but his version added some touches to the Tic-Tac-Toe prediction genre (that I remember where nice).

Sean
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Osterlind, if I remember rightly, used a photo of kids playing tic tac toe in the snow, as a revelation.

Steve
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
There is also a marketed effect - Tic Tac Toe Scratch, using a similar method to Predicta:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......_id=8706
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
668 Posts

Profile of magus
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 12:59, steveline wrote:
Osterlind, if I remember rightly, used a photo of kids playing tic tac toe in the snow, as a revelation.

Steve

Boys, I presume?
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Smile
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
There's a version by Bev Bergeron called Child's Play in Vol.1, No.11 of Sizygy.
Alternative Magic
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I have used Osterlinds original version (no photo, but with a chess like diagram) of predict-tac-toe several times and it always totally blows people away.
It's not part of my standard show, but if I ever want to add a mental effect to a magic show, or do a short mentalism presentation this one is always in there.
The great thing about it is that the presentation is so fun and engaging that people completely pass by the on tiny little thing that they might have caught to figure it out.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Luis Vega
View Profile
New user
Leon Guanajuato Mexico
74 Posts

Profile of Luis Vega
Mmm...odd...I was thinking about something alike..

I may have to develop my own method...
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
This has played very well for me. I love the humor of Richard's "chess moves," but I've also come up with a more streamlined (but less impromptu) way to do what needs to be done. I might use either, depending on the situation. As an overall concept, the effect is one of my favorite little-known gems.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6473 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I've been using Osterlind's take on this since he first came out with Challenge Magic on VHS. I was almost sadden when he showed it off in his later mentalism series. Even more so when he had a similar ending to something I was doing.

It's a great effect and has a lot of impact.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 09:54, Pauldela wrote: Have any of you guys used this in the real world, and how has it played out? Strong reactions?

We had a workshop on this at IBM Ring 46 this evening. It was followed by a Canadian documentary (a small part of it, actually) about Martin Gardner, who died on May 22, 2010 in Norman, OK. The effect is only as strong as your presentation, but played right, it is definitely impressive. Like others, however, I prefer Osterlind’s nuances. They really add to the impact, as well as the misdirection.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of dusty
I too have combined elements of Richard's presentation and Bev Bergeron's method to create two versions. One for walkabout and one for parlour/cabaret which involves 4 specatators.

My version has evolved to work with a rectangular layout as opposed to a "square" prediction so ideal for a 3 x 5 envelope format with no suspicious turning of the grid as a convincer.

Dusty
aka Max Gordon
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
ELima
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
164 Posts

Profile of ELima
Osterlind is also using this in closing a two-person blindfold act (13 steps DVD). I tried that with a friend and it played well too.
I have also used the method in Child's Play (Syzygy) which is very easy to remember.

Endre
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10195 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
In the 13 Steps DVD I like it but the outcome of the game seems weak to me. The Spec doesn't win, the entertainer doesn't win, and the "cats" conclusion doesn't sit well With me. Shouldn't the performer win based on his abilities? Or I could also see a way to justify the spec to win, but a draw...with urging???
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
This is on the 13 steps DVD? I have only seen it on the MM.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 11:37, Steven Keyl wrote:
The underlying method can also be found in Mark Wilson's Magic Book. There is a specific presentation that I have worked on which goes over very well. So yes, it can be quite a routine.

This instantly jumped into my mind. Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 09:54, Pauldela wrote:
Have any of you guys used this in the real world, and how has it played out? Strong reactions?

Paul

very strong, and do-able in many different circumstances. almost 100% impromptu.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Predict-Tac-Toe (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL