The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Predict-Tac-Toe (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6473 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, since I haven't done it for years now, here's the basic presentation I do for this: I talk about underground clubs and organizations. I explain how they stay underground for awhile then suddenly become known and in the mainstream.

I then say I belong to an underground network of game players. And the game is Tic Tac Toe. We supposedly meet year round and have tournaments. I say I was the winner of the 1999 games and display a laminated certificate that talks about my accomplishments and the year and other facts.

I then say that in that year it was down to the wire. I was up against last year's winner, but because I had so many points I could win by either winning the last game or simply tying him. I ask if there are any good players in the house because I want to see if I still have the skills.

I do the game... we end in a tie. I then look puzzled and say, "Wow. That's weird. That's the exact game that won the tournament for me that year." I look around the room and see no reaction. "Oh, wait... they always give you the last game as a keeper." I then turn the laminated certificate around and in the back is the laminated winning game that matches the game we just played.

I've left out a lot of the jokes I have in their and bits of business, but you get the point.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1447 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
This is a very nice effect.

The only thing I don't like is the performer must always go first.

I made a version where I have two pictures in a double sided envelope. One the X's were in Blue, The O's in Red, The other photo vice versa.

Now not only does the Tic Tac Toe match but they can choose a sharpie color and I predicted that correctly too! Oh and I start with 3 Shapies, Red, Blue and Black at the start. If they choose the Black, I say that eliminates one and we have 2 left to choose from etc.

I sent this handling to Richard Osterland years ago and he liked it.
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
334 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
I was going to have this effect in a recent show I did but I needed to cut something for time reasons and it went. Having said that, I have performed it multiple times in trial runs with friends etc and reactions have ranged from unimpressed to flabbergasted. The deceptiveness of the turn seems to be the critical factor. I would be grateful if anybody has any tips on making this as deceptive as possible. Perhaps Max/dusty might be willing to PM?

Merlin
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 03:53, merlin1979 wrote:
The deceptiveness of the turn seems to be the critical factor. I would be grateful if anybody has any tips on making this as deceptive as possible. Perhaps Max/dusty might be willing to PM?
Merlin

Enthusiasm while you explain that that was the "hungarian defense," or whatever. Just really act shocked that they knew such a highly technical move; pick up the paper and show them and the audience and look at it yourself. Write in the words while your still explaining everything. The whole situation is so surreal and ridiculous that no one pays any attention and from then on out there is nothing to catch.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Greg,
Nice presentational concept!
Does anyone know who the method be credited to if used as a portion of an effect?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
BTW, the method behind the Tic-Tac-Toe prediction is easily found on the internet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXPvJjRJNE
http://revision3.com/scamschool/tictactoe

Interesting to note: The illustrations in these videos are wrong, but the method stated is correct.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 03:53, merlin1979 wrote:
. . . The deceptiveness of the turn seems to be the critical factor. I would be grateful if anybody has any tips on making this as deceptive as possible. . . .

Crazy Compass.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
How about Miller miracle wallet so you have 4 outs?
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Scott Cram basically has the method for this.

Regards,
Mike
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Mike,
Method for what?
Jeff
Bryan Drake Show
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
125 Posts

Profile of Bryan Drake Show
Is there a method currently out or some thoughts on how to predict a game between two other people?Multiple outs would work, but man that would be an algorithm.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6473 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, Bryan Drake Show wrote:
Is there a method currently out or some thoughts on how to predict a game between two other people?Multiple outs would work, but man that would be an algorithm.

In one of Sankey's mentalism DVDs he has a multiple out way that works if you tell both people that someone has to win, but they can decide if it's X or O yet you show you had the outcome all along.

greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
casco1
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of casco1
On which dvd can I find the Osterlind version?
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
155 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
ETMMM Volume 4.
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
155 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
I have also seen it suggested that such outcomes can be predicted in Connect Four, which would seem FAR more impossible to predict or control. I do not know the method, but apparently it exists. It is something to think about, at least.
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
912 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2016, Second Sight wrote:
ETMMM Volume 4.

I have used Osterlind's version with the little nuances and have had great responses including once or twice where the specs closely examined the written reveal that was inside amd the envelope looking to see if somehow there had been some kind of impression or carbon copy made.
In fact, the next time I performed it I folded the reveal sheet inside in half to take away that suggestion, although, now that I consider it again, it is not such a bad temporary attempted reverse engineering for which the specs are welcome to distract themselves!

Smile Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Predict-Tac-Toe (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL