The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Milk Pitcher (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I need a new insert made for this milk pitcher. Does anyone here do this kind of work?

~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Neat old pitcher.

DO they not make those particular pitchers anymore?? You could buy them for a few bucks when I was younger.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
No, that style of pitcher is not available, at least not as a magic prop. I had one as a kid and sold it years ago.. dumb,dumb.

Anyway, I bought one on Ebay a couple years ago, but it had a bad insert. Then I bought another recently, but the glass was cracked. Smile So, I salvaged the insert from it and put it in the good pitcher. Voila! Smile One good pitcher made from two bad ones.

Moving on...

The one you see here was an Aldini sealed milk pitcher. The Oom was bad and the insert was trashed as a result. I gutted it and you see the results above. Pristine glass pitcher!! It just needs a new insert.

Some of the inserts I've seen were glued up from sheet plastic. Seems like a pain in the butt. However, the one that came from the Aldini pitcher is a single piece with no seams. Very nice, but unfortunately no good from the chemical Oom. I just found this website and thought this might be a solution. Be sure to check the video.

vacuum form table
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Hey, I have an idea! Why not use it... as a pitcher? Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You want your stick or not? Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Isn't that an E-Z Magic Milk pitcher. I found out the hard way they the glass is not tempered. So do not put any hot water in it like I did, it explodes into pieces.

U.F. Grant made or had made most of the glued plastic gimmicks in magic. I see now how hard that is to do. I have never been successful in making a gimmick for a glass. I would imagine Jimmy King Sr. knows how to make the glued inserts, he should write a book on making magic. I always marveled how he could do such a perfect glue application and make those good plastic inserts.

I used to work at a factory, and they made plastic forms for making jigs for the workers. It was a huge machine, with an automatic lift and lowering of the framed plastic sheet. The top had a open flame gas type oven without the oven. The plastic was raised and the heat from the flame softened the plastic. When it was soft like a sheet waving in the wind, it was quickly lowered onto wooden molds, of the same thing repeated to the size of the sheet. It was left to cool and then cut apart. Very interesting process. I thought at once that must be how Abbott's made there production Fish Bowls.

Aldini's sealed milk pitcher was a great invention, the only problem with them was the soft top covering. I would quickly spring a leak, the soft plastic bubble top did not have good permanent adhesion to the glass pitcher. At $45.00 in the 1970's that was a lot of money for none perfect pitcher. Some dealers could not get them sold before the seal broke/leaked. I thought that would have been a perfect Vanishing Milk Pitcher, otherwise. I almost bought one, but it had sprung a leak.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Bill,

That style of pitcher was probably sold as E-Z at one time. The name Edward O. Drane (Enardo) was also mentioned to me. The one I had as a kid was the same.

The one that I bought that had cracked glass was very similar, but the pour lip is different.

Considering what you said about the Aldini pitchers, I must have bought the best one ever made. It did not have any leaks. The glue used was so good in fact, that I was afraid I was going to break the glass before I got the plastic lid to break loose. There was absolutely no lip on the outside, so I cut much of the top away and worked it from the inside. Even though the pitcher worked perfectly filling and reducing, the OOM had turned granular and clung to everything inside. It was actually hard to tell from any distance that the level of milk had diminished. Everything stayed white.

Never the less, I'm glad that I bought it, as I am that much closer to having this as a back up. I just have to cross that biggest hurdle of getting a new insert for it.

Thanks for the heads up on non-tempered glass. I had heard to use very hot water to soften the insert for removal. Filling the pitcher with that sounds like a bad idea.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Michael, I think Ive got one of those pitchers in my old room at Mom's house. I would have gotten it over 50 years ago. Ill have to check this week. My mom keeps tryin to get me to empty the kid magic stuff out of there. If I still have it and it has an insert that's any good Ill send it to you.

Kozak bought an Owen Milk Pitcher. He says its fantastic and drains to the bottom and only costs $400. Smile
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 17:48, tabman wrote:
Michael, I think Ive got one of those pitchers in my old room at Mom's house. I would have gotten it over 50 years ago. Ill have to check this week. My mom keeps tryin to get me to empty the kid magic stuff out of there. If I still have it and it has an insert that's any good Ill send it to you.

That would be awesome!
Quote:
Kozak bought an Owen Milk Pitcher. He says its fantastic and drains to the bottom and only costs $400. Smile

Kozak's paycheck probably doesn't drain all the way to the bottom, though. Mine does. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
It would be pretty funny if it had the red funnel with the white tubing for filling it. Its also funny that I cant remember what I did yesterday and can rememeber the red funnel. I do remember having fun vanishing milk in a newspaper cone and in a paper sack though. I hope its there. Im not headed to Moms again until Thursday so we'll have to wait until then.

Yep, Kozak is doing good with his show room in AC I'm happy to say. You know him so you know he deserves whatever success he has earned right now knowing that luck changes and most dogs have their day sooner or later.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I remember seeing Tony Curtis do the milk pitcher in the Houdini movie. Same pitcher, too! That's when I had to have one.

Kozak has surely paid his dues. He was singing your praises long before I met you.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Glass, got mine over twenty years ago two to be exact. One was broken,the other I had sold to a member here in the forum. Got it at the Yogi magic mart from Phil.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Michael, Im going to Moms tomorrow night. Ive been prompting myself to look for that milk pitcher all week. I can still see it in my "magic drawer." I'll let you know if its still any good. Its at least 50+ years old.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-06-09 23:31, tabman wrote:
Michael, Im going to Moms tomorrow night. Ive been prompting myself to look for that milk pitcher all week. I can still see it in my "magic drawer." I'll let you know if its still any good. Its at least 50+ years old.

You're a good friend! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Michael, I didn't get to look everyplace I wanted to look but a quick check of the dresser drawer where I thought the pitcher would be turned up nada. TTs, old magic catalogs, homemade dye tube, packs of cards but no pitcher - yet!

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Well, if it happens it happens. No sweat. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 23:12, Michael Baker wrote:..Well, if it happens it happens. No sweat. Smile ...

Exactly what I was thinking and speaking of sweat, it was a hot one in the deep south today.

How hot was it?

It was so hot that even the sun was lookin' for some shade.

brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
I would have given my old one but after all this talk might use it again .
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
I picked up one of these at a yard sale in New York. No insert though.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
After breaking my childhood one, I was able to get another right here on the Café at a high but fair price about a year and a half ago.

This to me is the most realistic and everyday looking pitcher I've seen, if I'd known the rarity I'd have bought a bunch when I was fifteen!

I've never found a way to dupicate the gimmick, but seeing that in the 50's and 60's there was not as much technology as today, and considering the low price, it must not have been rocket science.

Michael, of you figure this one out, or find the answer please let me know, my gimmick is a tad more cloudy than I'd like it.

I made myself the funnel with the rubber tube and it really helps get the pitcher fully filled.

BTW a great audience-tested and logical-magic presentation for the MP is included in my book coming out this Autumn from Leaping Lizards Publishing.

Magically,
Walt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Milk Pitcher (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL