The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Milk Pitcher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Most of the gimmicks I've seen in these are made of two pieces. There is a seam up the back, and the bottom is a separate piece glued on. However, the Aldini Automatic Milk Pitcher (sealed until I took it apart) has an insert made from a single molded piece.

That is the route I will pursue, as it seems the vacuum table method may prove to be the key. I was impressed with both the simplicity and the quality of the vacu-formed face shown in the video demo, that I think making a mold and forming these inserts should be one of the simpler tasks.

I won't be doing any of that for a while, as I am planning a relocation later in the summer, so I don't need to get involved in projects this different from what I typically do. After that, and if it proves successful, it may be worth looking for another type of glass pitcher that would lend itself nicely to magic, and consider making the inserts for them. I'd imagine there would be a reasonable market.

Not all, but most of the plastic magic milk pitchers I've seen, look less than innocent to me, although I fear we may be looking at this as children of an earlier era when glass pitchers WERE the norm. Kids today know what they see in Wal Mart. Theirs is a plastic world.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Michael,
I think the one piece mold is they way to go. It doesn't seem as if it would take much to build the vacuum table, you probably have everything you need laying around the shop. In high school 100 yrs ago I used a vacuum mold in technology class the one we had had a lot of holes in the top to suck down on the plastic. the one in the video only appears to have one hole in the center. The next question is where to buy sheet plastic and is it cost effective. Once you have it built (the vacuum mold) the possibilities are endless as to what you can start to make with it. Plastic magic hats, plastic one piece die boxes.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Just like anything now days it's all plastic. were is the real workmanship anymore. Yes I know it's put there but it's like a white fly.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-06-28 13:42, donrodrigo wrote:
Just like anything now days it's all plastic. were is the real workmanship anymore. Yes I know it's put there but it's like a white fly.

I'll confess, that's an analogy that I am not familiar with. I assume this is a metaphor? What is a white fly?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I too have this pitcher but no longer have the insert. Purchased it in the late 60's. Would be interested in replacing the insert if you find a solution.
Cane and Able
View Profile
New user
The Great White North
79 Posts

Profile of Cane and Able
We have two of these pitchers and both of them leak. I seem to recall someone posting a possible solution on a magic forum. Making a solid wood form in the shape of the old insert, take a single sheet of lexan (or whatever clear plastic material would do)... heating it as you wrap it around the wood form and then clamping it in place to "set".

I might have read that here on the Café even.

Good luck and let us know if you find anything that works.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
If you produce the form out of wood or whatever, I would think you could find a local plastics shop that could vaccum form whatever shape you give them.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Not a bad idea Jim, but I can already think of so many things I'd want to make with a vacuum table, that I'm sure I will eventually make one. The molds will be the real challenge, depending on what needs to be made, but I think the mold for the MP insert would be a piece of cake. I have saved one of the bum inserts, so I'll have a great model to go by. The fit should be no less good than the original.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Pitcher looks an awful lot like the one I've got in a trunk downstairs, complete with insert.
I've only been awake this morning for about twenty minutes (no coffee yet!)...so I'm a little slow on the uptake...so bear with me for a minute. I believe the one I have is glass. The insert is plastic, open at the top with a dimple at the edge to pull it back a bit to fill. I also have a feeling I still have a white plastic funnel with a bit of rubber tubing on the end. Bought it in the late sixties or early seventies.
I could go look for it, if it would be useful. Lemme know.

-Philip
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Philip,

It sounds like the same thing. They were pretty comon about that time, which is when I bought my first one, too.

If you decide you want to part with it, call me first. Smile

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Michael...

I need to make a note to myself. If I can find it and it's in good shape, I'd be happy to talk with you about it. I used to use it quite a bit, but not so much the last ten or twelve years.
From what I remember of that insert, it'd be a little tough to make one from scratch. From what I know of magic apparatus, I'm wondering if that insert isn't something manufactured for something else and "repurposed."

If I don't turn up with an answer for you in the next day or so, call me out on it. I'm housecleaning and having the house re-roofed and so my attention's a little scattered this last few days!

-Philip
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ok, will do.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Michael,
Have you tried clear acitate and gel crazy glue? I plan on making one for a pitcher I found at a flea market that is the same style but slightly larger than my milk pitcher. I plan on adding an additional feature that will allow filling in front of the audience while holding the handle. (Hands nowhere near the top opening) Had one years ago, but it got broken and have not been able to find another so I have no choice but to try and make one.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Eric,

Filling in front of the audience opens up possibilities for Multum in Parvo routines. Nice to give yourself that option.

Plastic airplane glue would actually work better than CA. Still better options for a glue-up job would be solvent adhesives that basically "weld" the pieces together and not stick them together. Of the several inserts I have had that eventually self-destructed, all were glue-ups that split seams here and there. The only one that had no breaches was the molded one piece insert that was in the automatic sealed pitcher.

Unfortunately the OOM destroyed it by discoloration. If you watch the vacuum table molding process on the demo video, there is nothing I see that makes this look difficult or impractical. Besides, the insert would be 100% clear, no glue smudges or clouding.

Glue-ups can certainly be done, as it was for decades. But, it is tedious work requiring surgeon's skill so as not to foul the plastic with glue, and get a secure seal at the same time. Then, it has to be basically folded in order to get the insert into the glass pitcher (at least these squatty square ones). This is when many seam splits will occur.

I could be wrong about everything, as it is untested by me, but I am optimistic it will work.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Well, if you find that it works for you, I would be interested in getting a new insert for my pitcher as well. As I recall,my insert was a glue up job, but the pitcher looks exactly the same.

As a side note, you can also use a plastic medical syringe to fill these type of milk pitchers; just another alternative to the funnel and tubing.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I always just pulled the insert away froim the side wall and filled the space.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Quote:
On 2010-07-02 17:48, ERIC wrote:
Michael,
Have you tried clear acitate and gel crazy glue?

Where's a good place to find clear acitate?

Thanks,
Matt Martin
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
US Plastics in Lima, Ohio is one source.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Does it go by a different name nowadays? I was looking on the U.S. Plastics website, but couldn't seem to find it.

~Matt M.
Matthew Martin
~Dai Vernon
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
BTW Thanks for the tip Richard!
Matthew Martin
~Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Milk Pitcher (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL