The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Great Magic Book Without Sleigh nor Tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mrmuggles
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of mrmuggles
Hello all!
I'd like to know if there is a good magic book that doesn't talk about sleights nor tricks. I'd like to read something on the bus, so I can't really practice with a deck of cards etc. Maybe a book about history of magic or on some subjects like misdirection, how to make a great magic show... any idea welcome!

Thank you (and sorry for my english, it's not my 1st language)
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
Gary kurtz - leading with your head is a very nice one,

maybe the magic and meaning book from eugene burger (haven't read it myself), or the book by Darwen Ortiz (strong magic I believe?)

good luck
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
MrMuggles, the first book I ever read about magic is now out of print, but you can still find it if you look around the Internet. It's called "Dunninger's Enclyclopedia of Magic" and includes wonderful little secrets about all kinds of magic from closeup to parlor to stage performances. It gives great insight as to the world of magic and conjuring in the early days and gives examples of effects that are used even today. You'll only be able to find a used one, but in any condition I highly recommend it for a beginner, which I still am, by the way. You can read it on the bus or train to while away the commute and when work is done, you can get back home to try some of the stuff in Dunninger's. Great book. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
riomaarikado
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of riomaarikado
Maximum Entertainer - Ken Weber
here
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1258
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
667 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Quote:
On 2010-06-08 04:27, riomaarikado wrote:
Maximum Entertainer - Ken Weber
here
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1258

YES.... This one is the best choice....
Lion Dope
View Profile
New user
York PA
88 Posts

Profile of Lion Dope
Fitzkee Trilogy.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
Derren brown - absolute magic is also very nice and I consider it essential
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
mrmuggles
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of mrmuggles
Thank you all for you suggestions!
Anybody tried to order from penguin magic from Canada? Is there custom fees + shipping fees? I can't seems to find any of those books here Smile
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5378 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Maximum Entertainment, and The Fitzkee Trilogy are very good. Also... Strong Magic, and Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz. Also... The Structural Conception of Magic, by Ascanio. Also... Magic By Design, by John Carney. Also... well, you get the idea. Plenty of "no trick" books to enjoy, and I commend you for seeking them out.
Tryllejakob
View Profile
New user
Denmark
51 Posts

Profile of Tryllejakob
Card College no. 2 has a great section on magic theory.
It is in the line of Ascanio, just much easier to read.
Best Regards

Jakob Rasmussen
Denmark

www.magicshow.dk
octave
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of octave
Penguinmagic displays the shipping cost when you proceed to checkout. Customs fees vary from country to country, but I doubt books are charged any .

-octave
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
The ostrich factor, is a great book I have heard. Search in the Café and you get to know
Gatehouse
View Profile
Regular user
Cardiff, UK
117 Posts

Profile of Gatehouse
Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms - Absolutely fantastic, a complete no-brainer.. If you want to take your magic from merely showing a few tricks to something else, you need this Smile

I still haven't finished it myself actually - too much other reading for university, but what I've read so far.. priceless.
mrmuggles
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of mrmuggles
Thank you all for your suggestions! I bought Maximum entertainer on ebay and I made an order on penguin magic for Strong Magic. I already have Magic and Showmanship, great book indeed!

I'll come back here after my 2 next books! Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-08 00:07, mrmuggles wrote:
Hello all!
I'd like to know if there is a good magic book that doesn't talk about sleights nor tricks. I'd like to read something on the bus, so I can't really practice with a deck of cards etc. Maybe a book about history of magic or on some subjects like misdirection, how to make a great magic show... any idea welcome!

Thank you (and sorry for my english, it's not my 1st language)

Um... Harry Potter?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
I know its not a type of book that you ask for but Richard Turners book Re-Deal is a great book. I been reading it the last few days and cant put it down. Its a great fiction book.

Now Darwins book Strong Magic is great. Very thought provoking

Mike
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
352 Posts

Profile of TKE
Tamariz - 5 points.

scripting magic
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
Read this one: Hiding the Elephant - Jim Steinmeyer

BTW- I have the Dunniger Book mentioned above for $6.00 -- great hardcover book, fun to look through. Price excludes shipping.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
317 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Bhayankaran,
Thank you for mentioning my book, The Ostrich Factor. I do appreciate it!

Best regards,
Gerald
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
The Ostrich Factor is a must read. You might also try Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe.
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Great Magic Book Without Sleigh nor Tricks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL