The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Weighted sponge balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Looking for the best way to cut open a sponge ball and then re-seal it with a small weight trapped inside.

No "what if" type suggestions on this one. I'm looking for a tried and true method only, please.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Well, let me tell you what not to do. Awhile back I gimmicked up a sponge ball as a chop cup ball. I sliced it open, put the little magician inside and sealed it with CA. I used CA because that's what I had on the bench at the time.

Well, pretty soon the sponge started melting so don't use CA. Find some glue that wont destroy the sponge. I never tried it with any thing else. The need passed me by. I got to use the ball for a couple of days which is all I needed it but it didn't last too long.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of silking
Use a craft glue for glueing foam craft projects. Bond 527 glue should work.
you.

Silking
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Kozmo's Tales from the Streets has a way to do it...
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
MarD, well unless it's a top secret known only to Koz because he invented and patented it, why don't you share it with us?

Tabbie, thanks for the heads up on contact glue. I actually asked that very question earlier today when I was at the hardware store. I bought some stuff called Pliobond, which works like CA and stays flexible too. But I gotta tell ya, it's literally the nastiest glue I have ever worked with. And it takes too long to dry as well. But it does seem to stay flexible, which is a huge point when working with sponge balls. I suppose if I had a regular work space with all the right clamps and ventilation I might just stay with it. But I'm on the road and I need something a faster and less smelly.

Silking, how flexible is the Bond 527 once it's dry?
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
3M makes a glue specifically for gluing headliners etc. in cars. It is #08088 General Trim Adhesive. Scotch 77 should work also and may be easier to find. Both are contact type cement and will grab and hold with no clamping.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Thabks AGM. I looked both of those suggestions up just now and they both come in a spray can. I don't think that's the right applicator for sponge balls.

So far the best over-all suggestion seems to be the Bond 527.

I'm still looking for ideas. Except for the Pliobond (which I've tossed out) I haven't made any actual R&D. I don't want to waste time or sponge balls.

Isn't there anyone here that's done this already and can say exactly what to do?...
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3198 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I just pierce mine with a x-acto knife and coat the ball bearing with white glue before inserting it into the middle of the sponge ball, I then insert the bearing into the middle of the sponge ball and then wipe off the excess glue on the surface of the cut. I've never had any issues doing this, and my sponge balls have lasted a couple of years.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3198 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-08 22:37, marD wrote:
Kozmo's Tales from the Streets has a way to do it...

No, Kozmo just says to do it. There is no method given.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
265 Posts

Profile of tstark
I have a lot of sponge balls I have received over the past couple of years and didn't mind giving the gluing a shot so I attempted the tried and true standard, rubber cement. My rubber cement has thickened a little and even at that it made an excellent bond and is flexible so the sponge handled and compressed like normal. A new bottle of the cement is far more liquid and is easier to deal with. The only question left is how long the bond will last. Give it a go.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Quote:
On 2010-06-11 15:33, Chance wrote:
Thabks AGM. I looked both of those suggestions up just now and they both come in a spray can. I don't think that's the right applicator for sponge balls.

You can always spray a puddle of glue onto a piece of scrap paper then apply to the sponge ball with an acid brush or popsicle stick. You might check with an auto upholsterer to see if they can recommend a non-spray glue that they use. They work with foam all the time and probably have just what you need.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
You want a tried and true method...

SOBO Glue.. also Aleen's Tacky Glue.

it's white.. dries clear.. SUPER flexible.. won't affect your foam, in fact.. it LOVES foam... and they are both available at your local Michaels or JoAnn's

There you have it.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Whatever glue you decide to use, here is a little tip that may save some aggravation...

When you do glue the seam together, use only enough pressure to get the two sides to touch and make good contact. Do not press them together, or squeeze them. Doing so causes any uncured cement to seep into the pores of the foam and glue to itself internally. This will cause a dense area of compacted foam which will not go away.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Isn't it kinda wild that such a simple idea can be so hard to get info on? It took nearly a week for Makeupguy to find us and tell us the way to go. I think we've fixed Zig-zags in less time in this section! LOL

MUG, thanks for the tip. I just ordered a 4oz bottle of SOBO off Amazon. (I told you Michael, I don't use ebay any more! lol)

Michael, I know what you mean. I saw that happening with the Pliobond. Easy does it from now on.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
I kept waiting for Koz to pop up and spill his secret glue of choice. He mentioned at his lecture that he glued steel nuts inside his sponge balls but did not mention what type of glue he used and I forgot to ask afterwards.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5396 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Rubber cement....

koz
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
OK, so this is how I approached this project.

For inserting the weights I used a heated exacto knife to cut a slit halfway into the balls. After that I used a heated piece of coathanger twisted into a ball at the end to hollow it out a bit.

For gluing I used the SOBO glue mentioned earlier. It says it's made especially for things like foam rubber, but it works basically the same as any white glue. I basically just squirted the stuff in and pressed the edges together with my fingers.

If I were to do it again, I would use a small brush to give the insides a first coat, and then let that set before the final glue down. The reason being, the sponges are so porous that when you squirt it in too much of it is drawn inwards. It requires a little more prep than that to do it right, imo.

As for drying, the outer surface is already dry, but the insides are going to take a while. Especially since I used too much glue as mentioned above. I'll give it a week to cure.
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
73 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
This thread is a little old, but I'm giving it a shot. Just wondering what size spongeballs you guys use and what is the best size weight to glue inside (ballbearing, nut, etc.)?

Thanks,
Nate
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Weighted sponge balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL