The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism Essays (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Is there any publication that is simply a collection of mentalism essays (thoughts, ideas, etc)? A publication that has NO routines, simply essays---thanks.

Regards,
Mike
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
That's an interesting question. The 13 steps to mentalism by Corinda has routines, but it is also a kind of essayistique kind of book. The style in which Corinda writes is cool and tongue in cheekish.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Thanks, Zebaztian. I own 13 steps already, but I'm looking for something that is focused ONLY on essays. No routines.

Regards,
Mike
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Most of Cassidy's writings include both effects/routines AND philosophy (i.e., essays) and some is ALMOST entirely philosophy, but none that are ONLY essays come immediately to mind. I suspect that even those that are PRIMARILY philosophy or theory will include some effects/routines if for no reason other than to demonstrate the theory.
Dick Christian
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I could be wrong, but I don't think a collection of essays on mentalism exist with no reference to routines. All I want to see is pure psychology, techniques, theories, and thoughts through essays regarding mentalism.

Regards,
Mike
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Mike -

T.A. Waters book Mind, Myth, & Magic. Each section begins with a nice essay. Read those.

The Tommy Wonder books. Read all the essays in there. Not strictly mentalism but tons of great information that you can apply.

Get "Our Magic" by Maskelyn and Devant. If you have never read this you will find it a treat.

The Berglas Book has a lot of thought provoking ideas. Not strictly essays but it changed the way I think.

Kenton has a book of essays.

Track down Rick Johnnson's Too Perfect Theory. It was published in The Linking Ring, Genii, his own book, and in the Heirophant magazine. The Heirophant is probably the easiest to locate.

Darwin Ortiz' Strong Magic is worth a read.

And I second Bob Cassidy's works. The Pricipia Mentalia series has a lot of thoughts included.

Hope that helps.

Dan
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 16:57, bdekolta wrote:
Mike -

T.A. Waters book Mind, Myth, & Magic. Each section begins with a nice essay. Read those.

The Tommy Wonder books. Read all the essays in there. Not strictly mentalism but tons of great information that you can apply.

Ditto on both!

And Bob Cassidy's Principia Mentalia, as also written above, is a gold mine of thought-provoking questions...
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Chuck Hickock has essays in both of his books and some post-book additions and followups, all worth the price.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Take a look at The Osterlind Trilogy. It's three books compiled together, all essays. There's a routine or two tossed in there but those are really just bonuses.

Making Real Magic, Making Magic Real, and Essays.

At http://www.osterlindmysteries.com
praetoritevong
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
139 Posts

Profile of praetoritevong
Have a look at Eugene Burger's work...
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
The best book on mentalism I've read so far is Brown's Tricks of the Mind. Amazon carries them.
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
I can second nimrod's suggestion of "Tricks of the Mind", aimed primarily at layfolk.
If you're lucky enough to be able to get a hold of Derren's fantastic book "Absolute Magic" I think you would find it very close to what you are looking for; an absolutely amazing book that totally changed my way of thinking about my work.
"Magic and Meaning Expanded" by Eugene Berger and Robert E. Neale also springs to mind as not only a fantastic book, a brilliant read, but another that changed my perception of performing.
I couldn't finish without whole-heartedly recommending "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy", which, as mentioned before, contains a plethora of wonderful mentalism effects, interspersed with some fantastic insights into the philosophical side of mentalism.
Good luck in your search, and please report back with what you finally discover.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

www.magicblog.org
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Thanks for your suggestions. For now, I will be buying Absolute Magic by Derren Brown. I hope reading it will be a transformative experience. I will plan on getting some of your other recommendations in the coming months and years (it's a lot to read and absorb).

Regards,
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism Essays (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL