The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Talent show effect choice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gh256
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of gh256
Hi,

I have been thinking about entering into our local talent show in the uk called Herts got talent (I wonder where they got the name from). It would be the 4th time performing in front of a larger audience (talent show being the largest) but really the first time with total strangers.

All the acts have a 4 min slot that you can't go over. I think there is an audition, semi-final and then final. I was trying to think of 2 or 3 different effects I could get spot on and also decide what would be best for the final. The judges decide on what they think but also a big part is the audiences reaction at the end.

One of the effects I thought of is "Tossed out Deck" I have Gazzos version though it didn't come with a dvd.

I am stuck trying to think of some others and also wonder what you think of the tossed out deck idea.

Thanks, Glenn
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of r1z08
If you have only 4 minutes, you need to really do one effect and it needs to be quick and punchy. I think that the tossed out deck is good, but I don't think it can be properly done under 4 minutes.

What other items do you perform regularly? I'm just trying to find out what's currently in your repertoire.

-rob
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Britain got talent sort of ?
Show you ass and say you father is dead during a horrible tragedy !
Think about a really sad story and you'll be the winner !
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Do the SPIKE ROULETTE.

Find a SAFE VERSION.

Say you've actually been injured during all these years learning it.

Ohh, did I say... Find a SAFE VERSION.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
gh256
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of gh256
Lol thanks parmenion might have to give that a go.
I guess you are right it might not be enough time.
I also have silent treatment.
I would only be doing one effect at the time, just wanted a few ideas so the judges won't be bored of the same thing as I'd be infront of them 3 times.
I have other effects but I think the others are two long. If I need to I could always get something new. I have a number of DVDs.

If there is anything you think might be good please suggest it Smile

With the spike effect are the safest ones quite expensive?

Glenn.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
The following is just my opinion, but unless your first performance before the judges is at least six months away, you don't have time to master something new and avoid making a fool of yourself. Do the three strongest effects you have MASTERED and each of which can be done within the 4 minutes allowed (i.e., between 3 mins 30 secs and 4 mins). If you don't have three such effects already, forget about competing.
Dick Christian
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Just do the bests effects that you have. Opinions from other are just opinions.

if you mastered TOD.... perform it
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
gh256
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of gh256
I should have enough time if I wanted to do something different. If I didn't think it was ready I would not do it so not chance of looking like a fool, I like to think I'm not daft enough to do something doomed to fail.

I do think the TOD could overrun which means out of the comp.

Still any ideas from any one on effects they think are good, interesting and would fit the time slot would be great.

How about a bank night effect?
Gatehouse
View Profile
Regular user
Cardiff, UK
117 Posts

Profile of Gatehouse
Just the opinion of an amateur here, but I'm not sure if I'd go for a Bank Night effect, especially if your timing is so limited to 4 minutes.

You really need to wow the audience here in a short period of time so I'd go for something with a bigger payoff (unless of course you have a bank night presentation that really does the trick - For instance, I perform a routine using a variation of Paul Stockman's method which utilizes five Argos-style jewellery boxes, a spectators watch and a big lump hammer.. you can guess the rest lol)

Anyway, I'd be more inclined to something a little puchier, but that's just me lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Talent show effect choice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL