The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Lighting for illusionists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I am just conducting a quick poll....

My lighting designer and supplier is moving away, and taking his lighting business with him. That's not good for me.

So I am thinking of purchasing part of his business.

I would be offering to the magic community:
Lighting design, set up, 2 techs for set up and running the show, and use of all the gear.

I am also considering having a portable staging area 40' x 32' deep with a working front curtain. This will not be a raised platform at the beginning, just the curtains and truss to create a performance area and backstage area.

The light rig would consist of about 20 moving fixtures (scanners and moving heads) as well as general wash lighting

One of the techs could operate remote spot lights for the show, and the other tech would be operating the lighting console. We can set this up so the lighting cues are triggered via the sound board.

We could also offer a sound system for most venues.

I am located near Chicago and Milwaukee, but would be available anywhere in the midwest, with a possibility to travel further.

So my question is, is this the type of service that magicians would be interested in? I do realize that my market may be pretty small.

I also know it depends on cost - but I do think that I can do this pretty reasonably, since my main goal is to be able to provide support for my own shows. I really would just like the lighting rig to bring in "something" when it is not in use in my own shows.

Another question, do most performers who need lighting already have their own setups?

Thanks for any input...

scott
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
This is not a bad idea however I can see many conflicts arising.

First, conflicting dates. Unless you developing two sets of lights and people to run them all, you will get a log jam at certain times of the year.

Second, most magicians I know do not want other magicians involved in their show for a variety of reasons. Among them are taking clients for future shows (now we are talking a non competion clause) or using bits of another presentation or staging ideas. I think it is going to be an uphill battle in that regard.

My thoughts would be if you can buy the equipment reasonable enough that you can afford to use it so be it. But I would not could on magicians to use this service.

You might be able to rent the lighting services to community theater or school groups for their performances.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
What kind of lighting gear are we talking about. Conventional? Intelligent? What kind of fixtures and equipment?
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Reedrc:
both conventional and intelligent. Pars, lekos, martin Macs (250's and 500's - no mac 2000s Smile ) and roboscans, High end studio spots (575)

hugmagic:
good points, I never thought about the conflicts that could arise with 2 magicians. I do like the community theater, etc.. idea.
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
If your offering the 250's and 500's (and have a good amount of them) (along with the 575's) I think you'd have a VERY good chance of offering lighting to the magic world. I agree with others - the challenge will be a simple matter of trust - some magicians don't want other magicians on their productions - but there is another magician here who has offered lighting in the past ( Steve Kline) who has done other magic, and has done quite well, and offered some really good looks to the shows. (and other magic related events) So. Just like anything I imagine. let the works and your reputation speak for itself. Keep me posted on your progress always looking for H.E.S / Martin & Elation LD's and support equipment for this area.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Lighting for illusionists (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL