The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Balloon Twisting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
Hi all. I'm begining to learn to twist those crazy things. I've gotten a few books and am enjoying the learning process. Our place looks like a zoo with all these creatures laying around. It almost hurts when I have to get rid of some of these guys to make room for more practice. They seem to take on a life of their own and they're so cute.

Anyway. I have seen these balloon guys work. They ask the kid what they want and the person creates the animal. My question is what are the most requested animals? I want to be ready to at least make the most popular ones. Thanks for the help.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Macruz,

Most kids in my experience want a dog or cat. Easy to do the bodies and even if they want a horse, you can modify it a bit..(looks like a dog..but now named a horse) Smile

If children ask me for something I honestly don't know how to do, one of my experienced friends suggested saying this. An aardvark? (or whatever animal was suggested) hmm I only do those on Tuesday, since today is Saturday I can make you a cat, dog or bunny. Which would you like? Kids seem to accept this and will choose one on your list.

You may also want to limit their choices as young children tend to hem and haw over their choice and you may be on a time limit. With younger kids I give them a choice of three. Blow those up beforehand, show it to them and then have them make their choice. Anyway that's me. Someone else may have other suggestions that work well for them.

Good Luck!
Oh one last thing. You know all those balloons that you have now laying around the house while practising? Just a suggestion but the food bank is a neat place to visit. Lots of kids in the lineup would love to have one of them or a summer camp in your area.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Kids will amost certainly ask for whatever the previous kid got or, in the case of hats, the one that you are wearing (assuming you are wearing one -- I don't).
Remember, those that truly appreciate balloon animals and such are at the age where peer pressure is enormous, so don't expect too much original direction!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I work differently. I quickly list what the kid can have and if they want something that's not on the list I say "that's not one I make, you can have a....." I then repeat the list.
Kids do not normally ask me for animals, lot's of different animals anyway, as I tend to make multi's (never less than 2 balloons even working a line) this is my niche. I have picked/crossed to create about 15 sculptures that have that Ohh factor and that's all I know how to make! I can do them quickly and with my hands held above my head so that people can see whilst I patter and look at the audience.
Phillip
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
If I have 15 kids to do, I will list off a whole bunch of different balloons and then make five different balloons and ask who wants which one.

For the rest I will say..."who wants a XXXX?" and then make it if a child says yes.

The last couple of kids will be picky, so I let them pick what they want out of the list or come up with their own.

As I bend, kids will call out what they want and I play a lot of games and do tricks with them so its lots of fun and I get an idea of what to make.

I can make about 150 one balloon animals.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Started making one-balloon (260E) SWORDS to my own design a couple of years ago. When completed I balance it on my nose and take a few steps around with it (as an ex. musician I'm almost embarrassed to earn good money with some of this stuff compared to how musicians slog out 4 hours a night for less!) - but anyhow, I've found this item very successful indeed. A Boxing Kangaroo is also very popular (just a standard three-twist routine - but adding two little bubbles to the short front legs). Some entertainers are giving every child a balloon these days - but take tomorrow (Sat. June 28) - we'd be electronically blowing up around a 100 balloons in the early morning and plastic bagging them if we did this!! - and then what about when you are packing away to travel to the next party - and they all start pulling them to bits for you to "repair" before you leave!!! So we normally do about 16 a party and let the b-boy/girl choose anyone they would like to give one to.
ralphdean
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Ca
300 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
hi Chrystal,
Great idea about going to a food bank for practice. Have you tried it and how did you get started?
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
They usually want the same as someone else and only ask for what they have seen you make. Even the kids that are absolutely bursting to get a balloon often can't decide what they want. I actually try not to make too many the same and give out a lot of different ones. It shows off your skill more. Making 15 dogs is not so much fun as making a zoo.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Ralphdean,

Thanks! I don't' actually go to the food bank to do the balloons but drop them off. (my fault you misunderstood due to my poor sentence structure)

My friend and I use to co-run a club for entertainers which originated at my place. Sometimes if balloons were the theme, I'd be left with zillions of animals balloons on my living room floor. Hating to see them get thrown out, I would drop them off somewhere where kids could have them. Even teaching one person balloon making you'll be suprised how many you end up with. It's just a way of passing them along to someone that would appreciate them.

Macruz, and everyone else, really important note and apologies if you already know this. DO NOT GIVE BALLOONS TO KIDS UNDER 2.

The size of animal balloons and due to babies and tots putting everything in their mouths: They invariably always seem to bite and pop them. It is extremely dangerous and is considered the number one cause of choking deaths(non food item) in North America, amongst babies and toddlers.

Whew! Hopefully no one will take offense that I threw this in. Just want all the kids to be safe and a lot of people don't know about the rule.

Smile
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
For boys I would say the most popular choice is swords. For girls the most popular choice would be flowers (6 petal type). I'm sure you are already aware of http://www.tmyers.com - but if you're not it has EVERYTHING a buddy balloon twister will need!
Mark
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Hi All, Here's an idea that I have been using for a while now...

I created a Magic Coloring Book (not really magic, just what I call it) If has my contact information in it and each page has an animal... Rabbit, Dog, Swan, Monkey, Snail, Dinosaur, Butterfly, Flower, etc... All the pages have balloons I can make. So after doing my last magic trick I hand the books out and ask the birthday kid to look through the book and find his/her favorite in the book...

This way I can avoid swords, which I find most parents in my area would like to avoid. And I don't get animals or stuff that I can't make fast!!!

Feel Free to use the idea! Good Luck!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Gotta like monkeys, mice and penguins Smile
Sometimes I make one of these just cuz i'm tired of making dogs, cats and swords. Then everyone wants one!

8-d;^j
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Quote:
On 2003-06-27 03:46, Chrystal wrote:
If children ask me for something I honestly don't know how to do, one of my experienced friends suggested saying this. An aardvark? (or whatever animal was suggested) hmm I only do those on Tuesday, since today is Saturday I can make you a cat, dog or bunny. Which would you like? Kids seem to accept this and will choose one on your list.

You may also want to limit their choices as young children tend to hem and haw over their choice and you may be on a time limit. With younger kids I give them a choice of three. Blow those up beforehand, show it to them and then have them make their choice. Anyway that's me. Someone else may have other suggestions that work well for them

just tell them you'll have to learn that one and when they come to see you agian you'll make it for them. I think to tell them "I only make them on a special day" might make them feel less than appericated. Where as if you learn a balloon just for them when they come back to see you, you have done something just for them!
Crystal is right in giving them a choice. most of the time they will pick something from that.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
from my own experience in doing balloons after my shows as well as for fairs is this: Most children do not know what they want. Thjey react purely on things that they see.

With this in mind I do one of two things. I always start my balloons for the gig my making some prepared ones ahead of time. These can be hats dogs or anything else. The idea though is to make ONLY the balloons you feel like making that day.

You can place these on you or wear a balloon hat or put them around your balloon pump or the area where you will be doing the balloons.

The kids will see the balloons you have made and will immediately react to something that they see.

Another idea for you is to make what I use all the time. I call it my balloon catalog. Simply make the balloons that you can do. Then photograph them with a regular camera or a digital camera. Then all you need to do is place them into photo sleeves and place into a binder. This is easy enough to hand out to the kids or grownups while they are waiting in line.

It also works as a nice refresher for you incase you forget a twist.

I hope this information is of help to you. If anyone has any further questions or comments, please PM me.=)
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Mark writes: "This way I can avoid swords, which I find most parents in my area would like to avoid."

Very true.

While swords are the easiest thing you can do, and one that most young boys request, I NEVER make them if I'm ballooning indoors (and rarely make them even outdoors).

It's rather obvious what will happen if you do!

Smile
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I just limit myself to two figures while at a party...I also try to buy a one color bag..That way everybody will get the same without crying for an especific color.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
Thank you friends for all your support and ideas. They are very helpful.

Chrystal, don't worry about offending us with such an important subject such as the safety of the little ones. It never hurts to be reminded. Thank you.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
The size of animal balloons and due to babies and tots putting everything in their mouths: The invariably always seem to bite and pop them. It is extremely dangerous and is considered the number one cause of choking deaths(non food item) in North America, amongst babies and toddlers.

Hi Chrystal,
this is an unusual statistic the (number 1 cause) you see if there was just one and nothing else then it would be the numdber 1 cause. they once put the statistics for the entire US chojking on balloons on baloon HQ and it was really really low. there seems to be more scare mongering than anything else as far as I can tell
Phillip
restlessplots
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of restlessplots
http://www.balloonhq.com is the best source for all your needs and questions, stop in and read the Guide...TONS of good material there!
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Restlessplots,

Thanks for the url at this great site!

Phillip I strongly disagree with you and we have a responsibility to our little clients.

The site Restlessplot mentions says this:

"In 1995 The Journal of American Medical Association concerning balloons as the top cause of non-food choking deaths in children. According to USA today, the study looked at 449 non-food choking deaths over a twenty year period, from 1972-1992. 29% of choking deaths were caused by balloons, 19% by balls or marbles and 20 % by "other toys".

I hate to be a stickler about this..:O( but it's too important. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Balloon Twisting (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL