The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Bicycle 809 Mandolin deck (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4818 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
The Bicycle 809 Mandolin deck by USPCC is set to be released in August. The playing card giant says that absolutely ANY custom gaff you want can be made with the new design. Hmmm...

"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2101 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
This is really a great news. At last, magicians could have our own deck to play around with. Too bad there are only two angels on the back design. They should've kept the other 4 holding mandolins.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27033 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-06-11 20:02, Failed Magician wrote:
This is really a great news. At last, magicians could have our own deck to play around with....

And how long till just the sight of them gets the same reaction from your typical alert audience member as a pack of TV-magic cards, a Deland's deck or that old box of "Fox Lake" cards at the bottom of the drawer?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
And we need these when we already have Pheonixes because?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Vorezo
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Vorezo
I don't think Pheonixes are avalible in stores like walmart etc? If I am wrong then I guess there are no need for these but otherwise it makes perfect sence to have a new deck of cards that are avalible for everyone including the general public.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I was under the impression that these won't be available to the general public either. I thought these were just supposed to look like standard Bicycles.
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2101 Posts

I'm trying to be positive and supportive, and surely this could be a relief for those who are worried that sometimes Bicycle gaffs will run out of stock. Of course we can always use Phoenix, but it's not available as freely as Bicycle in the market.

Especially for those who don't live in the U.S. or Europe.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6951 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Why do magicians worry that lay people will notice the "different" back design? Lay people don't know brands of cards or designs. They look like regular cards, that's all that matters.

Most lay people have one deck of cards in a drawer in their house with a flower design on the back or maybe a deck they got from Delta airlines back in the '70s. And even lay people who occasionally bust out a Bicycle deck to play solitaire with will probably not even be able to tell the difference.

There are a lot of other brands of cards out there besides Bikes with a lot of different back designs. Go to a drug store and you'll see at least four different types of cards.

I wouldn't fear using these cards for the average spectator. They look like... cards!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2101 Posts

Yup, and mostly they pretty much look the same. So when the time comes, I'll end up with one these decks I guess.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6951 Posts

My question is how much will they retail for? Might have to cut down a bit on the signed card tricks if they're more than three bucks a pop! Smile
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Quote:
On 2010-06-12 00:22, Cameron Francis wrote:
Why do magicians worry that lay people will notice the "different" back design? Lay people don't know brands of cards or designs. They look like regular cards, that's all that matters.

Most lay people have one deck of cards in a drawer in their house with a flower design on the back or maybe a deck they got from Delta airlines back in the '70s. And even lay people who occasionally bust out a Bicycle deck to play solitaire with will probably not even be able to tell the difference.

There are a lot of other brands of cards out there besides Bikes with a lot of different back designs. Go to a drug store and you'll see at least four different types of cards.

I wouldn't fear using these cards for the average spectator. They look like... cards!

I think this could be great.

And I agree with what Cameron is saying over here in the UK almost nobody even knows what bikes are.

This sort of thing should never be a problem, the only time cards stand out as trick cards is if they look a bit strange and we wont let the spectator examine them.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
invisible
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of invisible
If you read on the bicycle cards website under the history for 2010 it states they have teamed with David Blaine to create a magic playing card program.

http://www.bicyclecards.com/company-history-pages-8.php

Is this the Mandolin deck or is the program something different?
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2010-06-11 22:39, Curtis Kam wrote:
And we need these when we already have Pheonixes because?

Because Bikes will be produced in larger quanities which will more than likely make them cheaper than the Phoenix deck, and more readily available.

The Phoenix deck was motivated by USPCC company not allowing gimmicked cards to be made, or something a long the lines of that. That has all changed now. The USPS company has made a deck that can be alterted and I think that's great news for those of us who prefer using Bikes.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27033 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-06-12 00:22, Cameron Francis wrote:
Why do magicians worry that lay people will notice the "different" back design? Lay people don't know brands of cards or designs. They look like regular cards, that's all that matters. ... They look like... cards!

Which is why we use cards in bridge size, with gold borders and a kitty cat design, just like the ones we can get from the living room drawer right?

No? Oh, we use cards that look like what everyone else uses to play poker at home? Well what's with that strange bird or the custom design? Oh, that only comes in magic shops? Got you.

Meh
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6951 Posts

Jonathan, what I'm saying is that lay people won;t know the difference between regular Bikes and these new Bikes. I'm not saying we should use the Kitty Cat cards. Of course, we should use cards that look nicer than that. And I'm not saying that we should only use the decks they have in their homes. What I am saying is that there are all sorts of brands and back designs of playing cards. The new cards look like regular cards.

So my question is, why wouldn't a spectator accepts these as normal cards?
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I wholeheartedly agree with Cameron. Why do people really care about lay people suspecting cards because of the design. Look, I've done GOOD card magic with regular Bikes (In the US) and even let people use the deck themselves, yet they still are a little suspicious of the deck. I don't think that has anything to do with the design, considering that Bicycle is such a well known brand. Lay people just suspected the deck because they knew what I did was impossible, and they never expected that I could do something so incredible with a regular deck.

I've even used BORROWED cards and people have suspected them once or twice! I think that's part of the nature of doing magic with cards.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of tdowell
If someone had brought out a pack of these new "mandolin" cards, I probably wouldn't have even been able to tell that it wasn't a normal "rider back" deck. They look so similar.
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
453 Posts

Profile of Newb2
Are these being put out directly by the USPCC? Or are these being made by the USPCC as a custom order like Theory 11's playing cards? I think that's an important distinction.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
It should also be noted that USPCC still allows gaffed cards to be made. It's the backs, the jokers, and the Ace of Spades that can't be tampered with due to trademark regulations. Everything else is fair game.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Bicycle 809 Mandolin deck (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL