The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Bicycle 809 Mandolin deck (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
Smile

Well, the repeated "Really" may appear as though I'm looking for fun but seriously, if you slipped those into my pack I wouldn't notice the difference for weeks.

For the most part we're looking at the faces. Am I wrong?

In all seriousness, they look pretty much the same on the backs.

Can't we appreciate the reason Bicycle doesn't want to make gimmicked cards on their poker stock? World Series is hot and a lot of people play cards. Believe it or not, that is their main audience. Card players. Making gimmicked poker decks isn't the best idea for a company who's main business is selling to poker fans. We should be glad they're working with us at all.

I gotta think though... Did Bicycle design that deck? Or is it something designed by magicians, just another deck to sell to the deck collectors? It is being promoted here so? Who did design them? I doubt Bicycle is really all that worried about us.

Some people think there is big money in selling cards. Personally, I think Bicycle sells not so many cards, even through Wal-Mart. I can go in on Monday, turn the second deck around on the hook and the next Monday it's still there. And they're under $2.

I see that Theory11 has managed to get their decks distributed by Bicycle. Over their site and at Walmart. And a T11 card inside, wow.

Sadly, people don't buy cards to learn magic. They buy cards to play cards, and I'd think they prefer the normal red or blue. And as it has been through history... Laypeople don't buy magic. So in my opinion that was a wasted effort. There are already magic sets and books in walmart. They sell like crud. I bet you can count the actual sales T11 has made due to the cards being in decks at walmart on one hand.

I suppose playing devil's advocate is pretty much like trolling but I'm not just trying to start a fire. Just thinking sensibly. And I suspect I'm right about worrying about the design of the cards. We give it WAY more thought than the consumer, or the layman.

Haven't any of you ever pulled out the old fox lake bridge size in the middle of a routine? The audience never picks up on it. At least in my experience.

Anyway I thought we can still get the gimmicks and the backs printed outside of Bicycle. Their policy is actually that you can use their logos and back designs. As long as you don't alter them. I've never heard of a conflict with them when someone does exactly that.

At least in my experience, the average person buys a deck and it sits in a drawer for like 20 years. Cards aren't where the money is at. I'd like to know really how many gimmicked cards are sold, but I have to assume it barely justifies printing them.

Food for thought. Enjoy with milk, tea or coffee Smile
Arteco
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Arteco
Are the 808 being discontinued and replaced by the 809 in all the stores (Walmart / K-mart / Target and so forth) from USPCC ?

Or is it just a new brand for Magicians ?
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2010-07-07 03:11, Magic Spank wrote:
if you slipped those into my pack I wouldn't notice the difference for weeks.

Really? I hope you're not a detective. Smile

Quote:
On 2010-07-08 00:03, Arteco wrote:
Are the 808 being discontinued and replaced by the 809 in all the stores (Walmart / K-mart / Target and so forth) from USPCC ?

Or is it just a new brand for Magicians ?

These are decks some magician(s) commissioned the USPCC to make. They are not discontinuing 808's. The traditional cut is nice and having card gaffs that alter the back is nice as well. But, you can just have a custom card gaffer gaff any Bicycle card back you need.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Nice looking cards. they look legit... because they are legit.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Oh lordy, I feel dumberer and dumberer when I read this thread - it's like a stupid guilty pleasure. yes more please. I can't wait for the pearls of wisdom when these cards actually hit the shelves and read all the "Experts" chime in akin to the JFK conspiracy.
davidpeters
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of davidpeters
These are now in stock (Red only right now) and shipping to your favorite dealer near you!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I see shops carry these now. Anyone have a deck to review as they sound wonderful:

"Standard Bicycle playing card deck with a Brand new look from United States Playing Card Company!

Design: Paul Harris directed the development of the new 809 Bicycle back with USPCC. Paul worked with three world class artists (including Garrett Thomas) to create a soothing traditional looking back that's instantly trusted as part of the Bicycle family. And yes, this classic looking deck even features the trademarked Bicycle Ace of Spades, Joker and the traditional box.

Quality: Richard Turner worked directly with USPCC manufacturing to ensure the new Bicycle 809 Mandolin has a superior cut and quality. These are exquisitely crafted decks! Once you feel these cards you will never want to put them down.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
FWIW I agree with those that contend that spectator is not going to notice the difference. My first reaction was "whats different?" I think this is a good compromise by USPCC between two sets of important customers-- us and the professional gamblers.

And the fact that they are made specifically for us is a chance to have them tailored to our specific needs.

I think its good all around.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I just played around with a Mandolin 809 deck and it strikes me as being very similar to Richard Turner's Gold Seal Bicycle deck.

They look almost identical to Bicycle Rider backs. The faces are the same. Plus, you get two identical jokers and a blank card. And, the boxes look like the old Bicycle card cases.

Robert
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Interesting discussion on these here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=30#8
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
When are these going to be stocked at Wal-Mart's and Targets???

DO
do magic

www.8bom.net
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
453 Posts

Profile of Newb2
Do these decks have two identical jokers (same as all the other custom decks?) It's always been a peeve of mine. Normal decks have two very distinct Jokers, if I really needed another one, I would use a duplicate from another deck. Custom decks don't give you the option of having two variations on Jokers.
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I think these are close enough to 808's that they would fly, my only concern is cost. I get mine @ costco like many others here do and $1.50 per pack is far more affordable than $3.50 plus shipping. I do have to admit to being sad about the back change due to my love for PH's twilight angels, but for the most part I will continue to use 808's
Tony Chapparo
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm pleased they have two identical jokers for my favorite transpo effect. Bravo!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3689 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but since these are designed by magicians, I hope that means the double face decks will no longer come with 10 or so useless cards (ie cards with the same value/suit on both sides). Never understood why those cards were included. Has anyone ever come up with a good trick that uses a double facer with the same card on both sides?
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2101 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I think there's one routine by Simon Lovell in his Blue Packet Killer that using the same face value for a DF card. I'll check as I even forgot what it does for the trick.

Anyway, I'm agree on the pricing for these Mandolin Decks. If they really want this to replace 808, then they should sell with lower price (which is I hope would happen in the future). Even the regular gaff cards won't be produced anymore, it will still take time to replace 808's in the market.

The main attractive thing about the Mandolin has to be the price. Even the design will tempt people to buy, but they won't use it for everyday use. So, IMHO, the sooner the lower the price, the faster these decks will become popular in the market, especially for magicians.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
482 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Quote:
On 2010-08-10 19:24, emyers99 wrote:
Has anyone ever come up with a good trick that uses a double facer with the same card on both sides?

Hey Eric,

David Acer's Mad Card Disease from his Random Acts of Magic is worth a look.

-AH
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6951 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I've come up with several effects using the same faced double facer. I love 'em!

They have more uses than you might think.
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Why are the double backers being replaced? The design is not altered on these.
Tony Chapparo
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
895 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Cameron

Are they released ??

Do share,old chap!!
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Bicycle 809 Mandolin deck (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL