The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fat kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Good one destiny.

Part, for the kids, is the video games and idiocy of parents. The wii is NOT fitness, at all. Playdates have now devolved into hours long gaming sessions. No ball playing, no bike riding ect. I once had a child come to my work with a lunch of a juice box cheese stick and sugar coated roll. I sent a note home. But I'm sure it did nothing.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
I am also in Ohio visiting family and every time I come up here I am struck by the extreme obesity I see everywhere. Perhaps it is the result of long cold winters when all there is to do is hole up and eat pizza and chocolate?

As mentioned, all you need to do is look at the shopping carts around you when you are checking out at the grocery store to get a clue as to where the problems lie. It is, in my opinion, tantamount to child abuse to feed children the crap that many parents put on the table. But then, the adults are shoveling the same crap into their own mouths aren't they.

And yes, most Europeans are slimmer than Americans - with the exception of the Germans.

Gandhi said "you must be the change you wish to see in the world" (or something to that effect). I watch what I put in my mouth and my grocery cart, diet on the rare occasion when I need to, walk & bike rather than drive, when it is possible, and don't sit my *%# in front of the television for 7 hours a day. Anything else you would suggest other than punching a fat kid?
It's not our responsibility to lecture stupid people.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I am not lecturing anyone, just commentating. Yes, I would also put it up there with abuse. The patents have a choice, the kids don't.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I was in Waikiki, Hawaii, recently (spent a week at the Hale Koa resort for U.S. military people, but that's another story).

Anyway, while walking along the Waikiki beach (off of the military grounds) ogling the babes on the first or second day, the first thing (*) I said to myself was "so much for the fat American stereotype" because most of the bods on display were pretty buff and trim.

Then I slowly came to realise that many and possibly most of the people there were international tourists like myself. Smile

(*) Actually, that was the second thing. The first thing was, "why isn't this a topless beach?"
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
By the way, I am being a little silly up above. I imagine a fair number (but still maybe less than half) of the healthy people on the beach were American tourists. The thing is, I suppose the healthy lifestyle / beach lifestyle of beach lovers in Waikiki tends to promote trim bodies.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I know for a fact that you will see no obese people in down town Manhattan. One thing that I noticed when we go there is that New York city is only for the fit. There is very little that you can do there without a lot of walking. No wheel chairs, no walkers, no people who are either too old, or to fat to keep up.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Oh- Skip? Who's going to pay for a health program for schools? Last I checked, not only were schools cutting music, art, and (most tellingly) physical education in order to make their budgets, but they were struggling not to cut school lunch programs, either. Sadly, healthy food costs money.

Even worse, companies like Coke and Pepsi would enter into contracts with schools, paying them money to be allowed to sell soda to the kids. Budget-strapped schools don't have much choice but to accept a deal like that, even though soda has a ton of calories with almost no nutritional value.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2010-06-12 11:28, kcg5 wrote:
Make money? What? Save the kids from their parents wrath.

Well, if that's all you want to take from what I said, fine. But, if you look at my comments again, you'll see that I mentioned creating an informative, educational approach to give the children a fresh perspective on diet and nutrition. Can a one hour program change the world? Nope. But, it might start a few kids thinking in a new direction and discussing the concepts presented with their parents or friends. It just might plant a few seeds that could have a couple of children asking for a fruit cup instead of fries next time they're out.

About a year ago I replaced my Silkola chip can with a nut container and the Coke with a water bottle to present a slightly healthier image. As entertainers, we have a voice and a platform. Why not use that minor celebrity for a good cause? If we expand our market reach and receive more bookings to schools and YMCA's as a result, it's win-win.

Quote:
Who's going to pay for a health program for schools?

"Heck, George, what chance do we have against King George and his redcoats. Just pay the *** taxes."

Red, if it's too much trouble, don't waste another thought on the suggestion. But, for those who aren't afraid of expending a little effort, there are sponsors out there who would love to get this message into schools. Health clubs, insurance companies, medical associations, fruit farm associations, dairy farmers. Even McDonald's has a "Healthy Choice" campaign with money to spend. McDonald's sponsors a Virginia magician and his healthy choice program at state and county fairs up and down the eastern coast. The cola and chip companies aren't the only ones with deep pockets.

Listen...feel free to focus on your lifts and passes and complain. It was just an observation.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Kcg5; I was not directing any criticism your way. I am in total agreement with your OP.

Skip; I think your suggestion was very good.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Epoptika
I see your point and agree with you totally. We should go after the short people before we go after the fat people.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I like that fat people are stupid. I didn't put on weight until injuries from the military kept me from walking for a year and I, at the same time, quit smoking to satisfy those that wanted all smokers to die for our stupidity. I do not eat crap and since there isn't a fast food place for 20 miles and I don't like it anyway.

Of course since I think libs and enviromentalist are stupid I guess it is okay for you to think I am. Only difference is I'm right.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
[quote]On 2010-06-12 18:33, Skip Way wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-12 11:28, kcg5 wrote:
Make money? What? Save the kids from their parents wrath.

Well, if that's all you want to take from what I said, fine. But, if you look at my comments again, you'll see that I mentioned creating an informative, educational approach to give the children a fresh perspective on diet and nutrition. Can a one hour program change the world?
Nope. But, it might start a few kids thinking in a new direction and discussing the concepts presented with their parents or friends. It just might plant a few seeds that could have a couple of children asking for a fruit cup instead of fries next time they're out.

About a year ago I replaced my Silkola chip can with a nut container and the Coke with a water bottle to present a slightly healthier image. As entertainers, we have a voice and a platform. Why not use that minor celebrity for a good cause? If we expand our market

reach and receive more bookings to schools and YMCA's as a result, it's win-win.

Quote:
Who's going to pay for a health program for schools?

"Heck, George, what chance do we have against King George and his redcoats. Just pay the *** taxes."

Red, if it's too much trouble, don't waste another thought on the suggestion. But, for those who aren't afraid of expending a little effort, there are sponsors out there who would love to get this message into schools. Health clubs, insurance companies, medical associations, fruit farm associations, dairy farmers. Even McDonald's has a "Healthy Choice" campaign with money to spend. McDonald's sponsors a
Virginia magician and his healthy choice program at state and county fairs up and down the eastern coast. The cola and chip companies aren't the only ones with deep pockets.

Listen...feel free to focus on your lifts and passes and complain. It was just an observation.
[/quote

To me, the thrust of your post seemed to either be joking or about money making If that wasn't it, I'm sorry.

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I gave a 19 year old fat boy who came to me moaning for advice about life virtually the same advice. He is a regular customer at two venues I perform at and now a twice the size even fatter 23 year old. I watch him across the room telling people what a nasty cruel and heartless person I am.

There is no need for us to go after fat people - they will do themselves in - so lets get those shorties. Can we start with Tom Cruise - he's very annoying.

Santa/Kevin/Slim - we love you - we're talking about other fat people - you're our fat people.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
To me, the thrust of your post seemed to either be joking or about money making If that wasn't it, I'm sorry.

I don't joke about marketing and I don't see a problem with making a living using magic and humor to teach our kids to be safer and healthier. Smile AS they say in my native Ohio, "Profit is not a dirty word."
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Thanks destiny.

I love Ohio. Had to make that clear, been going there all my life.

GO BUCKS

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Skip, That's all well and good- but I'm not from Ohio or Virginia. I'm in CA, and we're rapidly approaching having the worst public school system in the nation.

Oh, I don't drink soda or eat fast food either. My dad used to work for 7-Up/RC Bottling, and would bring home a few cases a month. By the time I went to college, I was so sick of soda, I stopped drinking it. The fast food? After an agonizing ordeal involving an end-of-shift McDonald's chicken sandwich (which included lying on the floor in the bathroom in a cold sweat, desperately trying to remember which side of the abdomen the appendix is on, since I thought mine might have burst) I stopped eating all fast food. Nothing like a bad case of food poisoning to change your dietary habits.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
7 Up paid well....
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Community obese, shall we say. Partaking of the community junk food (complaining) without doing anything about it. (Healthy diet)

Skip, keep showing a way to get something done. Though I'm sure there will be those who will tell you why it can't work for them. There always will be those. Smile

L7 Baby!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 00:16, MagicSanta wrote:
Besides, Skip is old so you need to be nice to him.

It's military life that makes us feisty, eh Santa? Smile Besides, you and Red are just jealous that I'm making a good living doing what I love.

Thanks, Tom. Every problem has a solution for those who can look past the barriers.

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It is Sunday morning, and I am going to say a prayer for MagicSanta's wife who has endured 30 years of his logic. In spite of Santa's appearance she is a slim attractive woman.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fat kids (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL