The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fat kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 08:57, Al Angello wrote:
It is Sunday morning, and I am going to say a prayer for MagicSanta's wife who has endured 30 years of his logic. In spite of Santa's appearance she is a slim attractive woman.

:lol:

Destiny, Cruise is definitely high on my list of people who need killing . Fat people, short people, then comes smokers and people who don't like Ohio...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Cruise could be six feet tall and still be annoying enough to get on people's list!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I remember when Pat Paulson was running for president they asked him how was he going to deal with the rising numbers of unemployed. Pat thought about it for a minute and said we should shoot 500 bums a week.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-06-12 10:23, Skip Way wrote:
Hear that knocking? It's opportunity! No one has mentioned the market potential for a thin or average person in good health to create an educational healthy lifestyle program for the schools, daycares and after-school programs. It could be the next big thing after Anti-Bully. If you're a fitness nut and a gym regular, even better. You become the living example these kids can reach for. Educate the kids to compensate for parental indifference and make a buck or three in the process!

Ahhh, the sound of more money being taken out of my paycheck to pay for people to teach other people's kids not to be fat. Vote No on Proposition U300LBS. Eat less, eat better; move more. Or don't. But if parents and/or kids can't figure that much out, the motivational speakers can do it pro bono.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-06-12 13:45, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-12 07:21, kcg5 wrote:
I am spending time with family in Ohio, and as usual it opens eyes... I don't care if you want to eat bob Evans for 3 meals or hit up white castle every hour or so, but doing it your kids is not fair. They do not have a choice. I saw a overweight mom in walmart with her two kids, who were also overweight-cart filled with soda, chips, cookies, microwaveable crap. By feeding her kids like that, she is taking time off their lives, not to mention setting them up for ridicule in school (kids are cruel). I don't want to hear "it's the genes" or "big boned"-if so, put them on a diet. I have also read the excuse, this is how I was rasied, or 'My child can have anything he/she wants, it was that like that for me bur I'm proud it is for them'...

I admit, I have never had to struggle with weight, I have always been skinny. So I don't know about extended diets.
If this has offended anyone I am sorry.

Advertising does this.

How can anyone make an informed decision when all of their information is Big Bright Shiny LIES beamed at them for hours upon hours per day through the primary medium of information (TV) in their lives?

Its all well-and-good to say that people shouldn't be persuaded by television, but in reality, people are HUGELY influenced by all sorts of advertisements all the time. That's why companies spend millions upon MILLIONS of dollars on them.

Also, the generally, inherently bad-for-you ingredients that are used to make processed food-items simply WILL cause people to be unhealthy and obese. There is no longer even any debate over this, and yet, as was pointed out above, these items are also drastically cheaper than the healthy alternative, and are so chocked-full of sugar as to better appeal to the low-income, less developed palate of the modern consumer.

It's almost unfair. These people have no defense against this sort of sophisticated advertising in their relatively sheltered lives. The unhealthy products all around them all the time, and the alternatives seem boring, largely unavailable, and overly expensive.

Does anyone here not understand this?

And yet millions of Americans ARE pretty healthy. They exercise. They make better shopping choices. In every city in the country. Somehow, they find a defense. They watch the same TV commercials, they see the same billboards, and they exercise their freedom of choice more wisely.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 13:05, LobowolfXXX wrote:

I think some do not, but I'm not sure.

I remain indignant over the popcorn scandal of the mid 1990s.

This is no lie: the last time I went to a movie in the US, there were three people in front of me sitting all together, obviously attending the movie together, EACH with a family sized bucket of popcorn. And this was in a theater where the family sized bucket gets free refills.

It would seem that some people go around demanding a nanny, thus inviting the nanny State.

Scary.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Kevin:So what are you going to do about these fat people in Ohio who train their kids to eat junk?

Skip made a really positive and constructive post. Not surprising but folks would rather complain about stuff instead of fixing it.

It is exactly the same thought process which you are whining about. People would rather eat what is easy and fulfills their psychological needs rather than their dietary needs. Even when presented with the better answer they will choose to eat what they are used to. No surprise it ends up being what they teach their children.

More and more these days people would rather just complain about stuff because it is easy and fulfills their psychological needs. When presented with the more constructive action of something they can do to try and fix the situation, people will display a wonderful array of reasons to not take action or just completely ignore the suggestion. Sometimes they even take shots at those who are trying to fix something.

Actually doing something is not easy, but every time someone opts to just complain they are feeding their mind junk. And their kids learn to feed off that same mind junk, just like kids learn to eat junk food.

L7 baby, take a square action plan, change the world.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-06-12 11:46, Tom Cutts wrote:
Skip,

Good idea, tap into the school health upgrade craze. I guess it boils down to doing something about it rather than just complaining about it. The country has also become a bunch of whiners who complain about things but don't take action to change them.

This is kind of an interesting post to me; it really brings home the notion of different perspectives. I guess the notion of after school programs certainly is "doing something about it," but the whole idea of "How can my kids/neighbors/neighbors' kids ever get skinny if the school won't provide a program?" is much more aligned with ideas about what constitutes whining. It doesn't take a village to go on a diet.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 13:15, Tom Cutts wrote:

So what are you going to do about these fat people in Ohio who train their kids to eat junk?

Why on earth should anyone other than "these fat people in Ohio" do anything about them, let alone at public expense. They have brains. They have friends. They have relatives. In the 21st century in the USA, they have access to all sorts of nutritional and dietary information. Bad choices don't constitute a public emergency.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The village is providing junk. Jamie Oliver's show shines a light on the possibility for schools to provide healthy more natural foods for less than the processed junk which is easy for them. What needs to happen is both the product and the knowledge need to be changed. New habits need to be formed. New dynamics need to be built. Tear down the Burger King and put in a Farmers Market.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 13:20, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Bad choices don't constitute a public emergency.
Who said anything about an emergency? Is an emergency the only reason to change teaching in schools? I'd be the first to say there is an educational emergency displayed by the lack of education being delivered to children these days.

But yes, bad personal choices can lead to public issues. Grossly poor diets are quickly on the way to becoming a societal health issue. So you either educate people and help them change their habits, or you can absorb the cost of their eventual medical conditions through your insurance premiums.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 13:20, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Why on earth should anyone other than "these fat people in Ohio" do anything about them, let alone at public expense. They have brains. They have friends. They have relatives. In the 21st century in the USA, they have access to all sorts of nutritional and dietary information. Bad choices don't constitute a public emergency.

In some cases they can't afford it. Healthy, natural foods are expensive while unhealthy foods are cheap. A lot of personal responsibility does enter into it, yes. A number of years ago, I worked at Walmart while going to school. On occasion, I'd be called on to run a register. Disproportionately, the people buying junk food paid for it with food stamps. In the vast majority of cases, those with carts filled with chips, cookies, off-brand nondescript juices and no-name meats paid for it with food stamps.

Likely, they could buy some fruits, vegetables and lean meats, but for whatever reason they didn't. Maybe there wasn't enough on their Vision card, maybe this was the best way they found.

Why is it our responsibility to create healthy programs? Well, why is it our responsibility, then, to give these people money for food? There are programs to assist people to find employment and grants available to the impoverished to go back to school.

Sometimes, we just have to save people from themselves.

(For the sake of completeness, the solution to the food stamps for junk food problem is to disallow their use on certain items. It's already done for some things, just not others).
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
We all know that the children of these fat kids will grow up to be even fatter than their parents are now, and there is very little that we as a society can do about it. It is like the fall of the Roman Empire.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 13:27, Tom Cutts wrote:
The village is providing junk. Jamie Oliver's show shines a light on the possibility for schools to provide healthy more natural foods for less than the processed junk which is easy for them. What needs to happen is both the product and the knowledge need to be changed. New habits need to be formed. New dynamics need to be built. Tear down the Burger King and put in a Farmers Market.

WE AGREE!!!!!!

*clinks glass with Tom*
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 13:15, Tom Cutts wrote:
Kevin: what are you going to do about these fat people in Ohio who train their kids to eat junk?

Skip made a really positive and constructive post. Not surprising but folks would rather complain about stuff instead of fixing it.

It is exactly the same thought process which you are whining about. People would rather eat what is easy and fulfills their psychological needs rather than their dietary needs. Even when presented with the better answer they will choose to eat what they are used to. No surprise it ends up being what they teach their children.

More and more these days people would rather just complain about stuff because it is easy and fulfills their psychological needs. When presented with the more constructive action of something they can do to try and fix the situation, people will display a wonderful array of reasons to not take action or just completely ignore the suggestion. Sometimes they even take shots at those who are trying to fix something.

Actually doing something is not easy, but every time someone opts to just complain they are feeding their mind junk. And their kids learn to feed off that same mind junk, just like kids learn to eat junk food.

L7 baby, take a square action plan, change the world.

5 L7 meals a day?

Ok, ok- I get it. But is to mean that a person can never complain, or ask questions? I know, "be the change you wish to see in the world" and all that, but I am talking about it-and was interested in opinions, which I got.

"People would rather eat what is easy and fulfills their psychological needs rather than their dietary needs. Even when presented with the better answer they will choose to eat what they are used to. No surprise it ends up being what they teach their children."---- this, in my view, could go unsaid, like all the consumer society stuff-we are not teaching a high school class here.

In the walmart example-right there in the moment-should I have gone up to the woman and asked her thoughts on her kids weight?

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
In the walmart example-right there in the moment-should I have gone up to the woman and asked her thoughts on her kids weight?
If you had a camera crew with you, I'd say "yes". It would make for better reality TV than the competitions which get air. Without the camera crew I don't believe the volume of thought out responses would be in your favor.

There is an interesting show called "What Would You Do?". It plays out scenarios like you described.

On a different note, did you know that the US produces 5000 calories per day for every person in the US? High fructose corn syrup is one of the main culprits and it is stealth fully used in a lot healthy seeming products like yogurt and granola bars. Always read labels and note calorie counts.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I wouldnt actually do it, she raises them how she sees fit... But my focus is why? Are these people stupid? If its whinning, so be it..

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 15:40, kcg5 wrote:
I wouldnt actually do it, she raises them how she sees fit... But my focus is why? Are these people stupid? If its whinning, so be it..

I believe there's quite a large combination of factors in play. My best guess would be that there is a correlation with intelligence, but I suspect it's a small one.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Would you say something to a mother who is beating her child? If yes, then why not say something to a mother who is setting her child on a pathway to diabetes, heart disease, and a host of other wonderful outcomes of obesity. The more it becomes acceptable to say to say to someone, "Wow, you really feed your kids all that crap?" the more such practices will become seen in a similar light as other abuses of children. Changing society is a slow process usually. Deciding to do nothing only perpetuates and worsens the situation.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I know nothing informs my decision-making process like the uninvited opinions of random strangers who approach me in public.

How many of these conversations have you actually had in the past week, Tom? I mean, if you're out shopping or dining, you must see overweight kids, parents & kids with McDonald's bags, parents with kids drinking soda...what, several times a day? Conservatively, there must be well over a hundred opportunities for such intervention every month.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fat kids (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL