We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fat kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
There sure could be, but it isn't my complaint, it's Kevin's. Since I don't frequent fast food joints and don't do much shopping at big grocery stores, I don't run into that much anyway. The people at the farmers market are a much healthier lot and thoughtful of what they eat. And now that you mention it I realize that for whatever reason Trader Joe's does not attract obese people with their monster kids waddling behind a shopping cart getting winded just between their car and the store.

I doubt anyone quit smoking because people had finally had enough and started to speak up decades ago. Feelings were hurt, I'm sure there were obnoxious responses as well as probably some people were obnoxious in how they approached it, but society changed and is still changing on it's stance on someone's right to inflict cigarette smoke upon those around them.

The time for speaking up about grossly poor eating habits has arrived.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I agree Tom, I has. I am to much of a wimp to do something like that to a mother. But I see your point. I would not have an issue talking to a physically/emotionally abuse parents, or one who involves their child in some Dort of hate group I.e kkk, west borough baptist "church".

Related to this, there is no helmet law in Ohio. There was, but it was repealed. If they want to kill themselves, it's their choice-but I did think of asking some riders. While I was there, 2 teens, on a scooter, ran head on into a truck. Killed them both, no helmets.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!



"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I thought the idea was changing dangerous life styles? Now it is politically correct lifestyles only? Admit it Skip, you are working on a show now, I can feel it. Gags like a yo yo shaped like a bar of soap so if you drop it it comes back up. Producing anything but a rainbow streamer. Good times.

Of course you can call it "Straight is Great!" rather than something negative, it rhymes too, which is good, and make the children sit boy girl boy girl just to get the messege across. Together we will stop all unhealthy lifestyles!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Another thing, if you run into a truck head on while riding a scooter the helmet may get you an open casket funeral.....
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
This whole country is full of very round children, and 300 lb moms it is sad.

Everytime I see a 300lb female, a piece of me dies.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Uh....huh?
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
My wife bucked the trend in her family and basically devoted a big chunk of her energies toward keeping the weight off from an early age. She grew up in Indiana in a family where everyone was rather large, shall we say, and typical dinners included fried chicken and a generous dessert. So she went on to get a masters degree in exercise physiology, became a manager at a health club, and drives a car with the word "EXERCISE" on the license plate.

But nothing pains her more as a elementary school teacher (her current job) than hearing people make fun of fat folks. Every time she hears that, she feels as if they were making fun of her mother.

It's kind of bizarre where we've arrived as a society. So many TV shows, movies, magazines, send out the message that we should be thin at all costs, like the beautiful people. But those same shows are often sponsored by the purveyors of pork. So instead of having a society of thin, healthy people, or even fat, jolly people, we have lots of fat people who, subconsciously or otherwise, feel badly about themselves.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My late mother (she's dead not just running behind) was heavy after five children, she lost a lot of weight right before she died. When I was in school she came to get my sister and a friend of mine said "look at that fat *****" and at that point I never ridiculed people who were fat, gay, Jewish, Quaker, handicapped, or anything else. Some people are what they are and they know the situation they are in and they know what they can or cannot do. So those of you making statements about these people think that they can just up and change things. They would if they could and they don't need you critisizing them, calling them stupid, or anything else. It really lowers my opinion of some of you to see the statements you make. Luckily my opinion means nothing.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It has been my experience that those in a situation act in accordance and it shows in their actions if not their results. Others however will blame their injuries for their lack of mobility when really the issue is they failed to modify their diet when they were faced with mobility issues. It is a rather simple equation, you do less, you need fewer calories.

Those who blame their weight gain on injuries are coming up short on understanding the real equation they could and should be in control of. But then excuses seem to be theme for this topic, and productive actions seem to be the exception.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's victimology and excuses that dictate that "we" need to intervene or create programs for people. Reread the posts about the helpless people who have no chance to overcome the evil blitz of advertising. If you don't believe in the victim card or excuse making, then leave 'em alone and let them get unfat on their own. Or not.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
If anyone were ever to approach me regarding what's in my shopping cart, I will verbally abuse them for violating my privacy.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Funny how the same words can mean different things to different people. What I read as 'I know if I don't let you win, you'll go to Mummy crying, and I won't be allowed over to play anymore.' - someone else sees as playing the victim card.

PS: for any innocents not in on the lingo - we're not actually talking about fat people - we love them but we're not allowed to talk about religion so 'fat people' is our code for scientologists.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Ah yes...in other words Tom Cruise is really really fat then....
Sent from my Typewriter
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Not to mention a collector of beards apparently...
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2010-06-14 03:13, LobowolfXXX wrote:
It's victimology and excuses that dictate that "we" need to intervene or create programs for people. Reread the posts about the helpless people who have no chance to overcome the evil blitz of advertising. If you don't believe in the victim card or excuse making, then leave 'em alone and let them get unfat on their own. Or not.
Actually the display of ignorance toward the fact that one becomes obese through a regime over time of taking in more calories than one uses pretty much makes the point that in general people should be better educated about healthy eating and healthy activity. Now where is it our society does it's edumacatin'?
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
It's a simple matter of being there to help those who want a positive lifestyle change.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm fully aware that I put on weight when I couldn't physically move around while intaking more calories. I was refering to people in general.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-06-14 07:15, Tom Cutts wrote:
Actually the display of ignorance toward the fact that one becomes obese through a regime over time of taking in more calories than one uses pretty much makes the point that in general people should be better educated about healthy eating and healthy activity.


Disagree with this premise. That's not a secret, anymore than it's a secret to (today's) smokers that cigarettes cause cancer. People make preference-based choices to take in more calories than they burn off, because they like the taste of certain foods, or it's convenient, or they don't want to exercise, or (insert reason here). But ignorance about taking in calories vs. burning off calories? Seriously? I don't believe you.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-06-14 08:36, Skip Way wrote:
It's a simple matter of being there to help those who want a positive lifestyle change.


Well, for a few a hundred bucks an hour (insert your favorite local entertainer's rate here).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2010-06-14 11:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Disagree with this premise.
That is your choice. You can also ignore MagicSanta's statement that he gained weight because he couldn't exercise.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fat kids (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL