The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Dan and Dave Slo Mo Card Work Exposure on "Time Warp" Show! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You rant on about exposure on a basic cable show and call ME touchy? Wow that is ironic.

If you actually understood my point, I think the rants would stop.

I have seen guys doing 3 shell games for thousands even after it was "exposed". The only ones who cry are magicians. A good operator will take that exposure and use it against the mark, not cry about it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Danny, what good is there in showing people who have learned to deceive themselves how well their senses can be deceived by others?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you are asking me a serious question you will have to dumb it down if you want a serious answer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
This thread is really pointless
I really enjoyed watching dan and dave in that show

people here are way to touchy with 29.99dollar "secrets"
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 18:59, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I'm surprised. Just finished watching it. Dan and Dave!

Bottom Dealing, a Card Switch and Backpalming a Card exposed in Slow Motion!

For guys of their level, it was very very surprising that they'd do this...
Hmm... Money and fame.

Money and fame. Smile

What is their level? Can they cast "Magic Missiles" with a +D4 yet?

:23 -I kept thinking of Monty Python: "How to defend yourself if someone attacks you with fresh fruit!"
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Nope, but they can ruin a perfectly good Magic trick.

If the Secrets truly means nothing, then why show it?

Why do people so want to see it and ask you after you do a good trick "how did you do that?"?

Well... Spilled milk and all...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 20:11, Pakar Ilusi wrote:...
Why do people so want to see it and ask you after you do a good trick "how did you do that?"...

By and large they have not been taught to say anything other than "how did you do that" - as a way to respond to a magic performance. Also they have likely been presented with puzzles in much the same way as some performers present magic - so it's also a trained response. While one can deflect the question by way of introducing another item - it's sometimes okay to play with them in character. If it's an adult making that noise - it's about one away from them wanting to get the center of attention. You can directly ask, starting the question while looking at them, "did it look okay to you?" shifting to a more suitable audience member nearby to get their feedback - as if that was the intent of the original question.

BTW, the tricks (or known patterns) of audience dynamics are not so well discussed in our books to date.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 20:11, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Nope, but they can ruin a perfectly good Magic trick.

If the Secrets truly means nothing, then why show it?

Why do people so want to see it and ask you after you do a good trick "how did you do that?"?

Well... Spilled milk and all...

on the other hand, the segment was so boring that I doubt many people, besides Theory 11 fan-boys and angry magicians, stuck around to see it...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Gaddy...

You're starting to look like Houdini...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
It's the hair. Smile

I actually comfort myself with that hope, gaddy.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 10:20, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
It's the hair. Smile

It's true, I AM psychically channeling Harry Houdini's hair...
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to point out that they were doing a gambling demo and explaining card cheats not magic tricks. Ricky Jay, Jason England, R. Paul Wilson, Darwin Ortiz, Dai Vernon, and Edward Marlo have all explained card cheats in their live shows on national T.V. or online. Dan and Dave were doing exactly the same thing that the magic legends of the past have done.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I had the producers of an educational film on the muscles of the hand come to me for some magic work. They wanted to show me doing second dealing in slow motion, (not SUPER slow mo 10,000 fps or anything) and they wanted to show that even in slow motion , the muscles of the hand are so amazing that they couldn't catch me. Now if you're tight on the hands at the right angle, in slow motion it is going to expose everything. I told them I would be there the next day ready to go. They zoomed in on my hands. I took out the cards, shuffled... showed the ace on top and turned it back over. Dealt 4 or 5 cards to the table and turned back over the ace, dealt another 5 cards... ace... over and over. I repeated this 3 or 4 times until they were happy. They called me the next day raving about how amazing it looked on camera. They tried everything thing they could to catch me and failed. The reality? I just buried duplicates of the Ace at 4, 9 and 17 cards down. No exposure and everyone was happy!
Ray Pierce
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 19:37, Ray Pierce wrote:
I had the producers of an educational film on the muscles of the hand come to me for some magic work. They wanted to show me doing second dealing in slow motion, (not SUPER slow mo 10,000 fps or anything) and they wanted to show that even in slow motion , the muscles of the hand are so amazing that they couldn't catch me. Now if you're tight on the hands at the right angle, in slow motion it is going to expose everything. I told them I would be there the next day ready to go. They zoomed in on my hands. I took out the cards, shuffled... showed the ace on top and turned it back over. Dealt 4 or 5 cards to the table and turned back over the ace, dealt another 5 cards... ace... over and over. I repeated this 3 or 4 times until they were happy. They called me the next day raving about how amazing it looked on camera. They tried everything thing they could to catch me and failed. The reality? I just buried duplicates of the Ace at 4, 9 and 17 cards down. No exposure and everyone was happy!

hahahahahahaha genius!!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
There was a fellow who used to drop my magic shop about twice a year. He was an admitted professional card cheat. It's what he did. I'm pretty good with a deck of cards even in my dotage and retirement. When I knew this guy I was at my prime and even my eyes worked pretty good.

He was the best with a deck of cards that I've ever seen. So good that he would deal Greek Bottoms with plastic cards or whatever deck and I just could not detect it. Greek Bottom? The bottom card of the deck is reversed, so you are in effect dealing a Second from the bottom. In my opinion the single hardest card move I've ever seen or tried. He showed me the aces on the bottom, etc. Dealt in a modest and normal manner and the aces appeared where he wanted. His false shuffling...whatever was just freakishly good.

Moves that are tipped on tv ... mostly a non event. Excepting maybe things like the Back Palm. It's one thing to think you know how a move is done and another to catch it in context. And, most folks look at that stuff and in short order forget it. Do I think it's ok to expose stuff? NOT AT ALL! But, it's going to happen and the more we ignore it the better. Making a fuss just draws attention to the fussed about thing. Most folks are too worried about their jobs, children, etc. to really care for very long.

Best,
Brad Burt
digiassn
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of digiassn
I think somebody already said it, but there is more to magic than the methods. Its all in the presentation and the practice. I know how Cirque du Soliel does their stunts, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I can do it myself. I can watch C&B routines all day long and still be floored by the seasoned professionals doing it, and I know the method and perform it regularly. Just compare a pro with to the amateur ex-posers on YouTube, its like night and day. You'll see that the only thing being exposed is the egos, the "know it alls", and the inexperienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Dan and Dave Slo Mo Card Work Exposure on "Time Warp" Show! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL