The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do you handle kids trying to dive into your coat pockets.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
I have only had this happen a few times over the years, and never during my show, it has only been on offbeat moments, after or before the show, when I am walking around, I may vanish something they have and make it reappear. I had a 7 year old boy dive for my coat pocket, and in the past had a boy try to go into my pant pocket.

Needless to say that is uncomfortable appearance wise. How I have handled it is to grab and remove the hand quickly, kneel down to eye level and get eye contact and tell them to please stop as it is not polite or right to go into someones pockets. That has always handled it and things are good, but just curious if other approaches are out there and are effective.
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It was even worse with pockets in Wizards Robes until I discovered mousetraps. None of the mousetraps was set. As part of the pre-show, I would reach into my pocket for something and snap the mousetrap spring with my thumb, then bring out my hand as if the mousetrap had caught my fingers, but just holding it in that position until I "released myself." I would explain that the mousetraps were not meant for catching mice, but for catching snakes. I would explain that I had some Wizard friends who thought it was funny to make a snake or a scorpion appear inside my pocket as a joke. Then I would pretend to reset the mousetrap and carefully replace it in my pocket. No one ever came near my pockets after I discovered the effectiveness of mousetraps and suggestion. It probably won't work for you cuddly clown types, though.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I love the mousetrap idea! Spellbinder you are a genius!

I think it would work in others areas too, like guarding your magic box, and using them as a running gag!
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
This only happened to me once. I think you handled it pretty well, but I very much like the mousetrap idea too.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
A joy buzzer will have them removing their hand, pretty quickly.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
There's something out there called Rat Trap that uses a real rat trap that's been gimmicked and permits you to reach into a paper bag, producing a loud bang imitating the "clap" of a sprung rat trap. It's used as a comedy effect and would seem to fit this discussion. Don't know if it's still made, but I'd bet your can find one if you look around for it. I bought mine about five years ago used on eBay for about $10. It can't be that dated because it uses a modern type of "clap sound maker" as compared to the older types. PM me if you have questions and I'll be more specific. best, bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Oh, I sooo love that mousetrap idea, that is brilliant, it is fun, gets the point across, is a light hearted way to get the message across.....love it!
Randy Burtis
www.calgarymagician.com
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
The easiest way is to stand on their toes. You don't need to put much weight on them, the pressure will be enough for them to back off.

There are similar children who, sitting on the floor in front of you, will occasionally slide their hand towards you. Standing lightly on their fingers causes them to withdraw the hand double quick.

Hand or foot, if they don't react, increase the pressure. That does the trick.

But always remember to say sorry - after all, it was accidental and you do have such big feet!
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Ouch!
Randy Burtis
www.calgarymagician.com
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Forget kids, in Romania I had young pickpockets delving into my pockets on several occasions. The solution? Grab their wrist roughly, yank it out of your pocket, and practically wrench their arm from their shoulder blades.
Don't know if this would work in a kidshow...
;)
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I don't cary anything in my pockets, and I perform without a jacket, but I do have a problem with kids diving into my briefcase, and stealing my juggling props. I close my case after every show, but sometimes that just isn't fast enough, and I realy love to walk around the room to collect my clubs, and balls one at a time.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
For the suitcase, you might try the old "Tarantula in a Cage" bit. You can use a collapsing cage if you don't have much room, but just a small cage is needed along with a fuzzy fake tarantula. The idea is that the first time you open the case, you remove the empty cage. "Uh, Oh! Tommy's out again. Here, Tommy! Where are you Tommy?" as you rummage around in the case. You finally find Tommy Tarantula and bring him our wiggling and twisting, all done you your fingers of course. Put Tommy into the cage and as soon as you put the cage back in your suitcase, pull out the tarantula so you can do it all again the next time. It becomes a running gag, but it also guarantees that few will dare to go messing around with your suitcase. If you need a trick that features a tarantula just to give you a reason for carrying one along in your case, you might consider my "Tricky Trick or Treat" from The Wizards' Journal #10, but I'm sure you can always find a use for a Tarantula in a magic show.

Don't forget to use the fly swatter bit from time to time. You don't know what I'm talking about? Every now and then you pretend to see a fly buzzing about, pull out the fly swatter and swat something, then pretend to remove the "fly" and drop it into your case for "Tommy's dessert... he loves them so."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do you handle kids trying to dive into your coat pockets.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL