The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » My audition tape for America's Got Talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lil_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of lil_magic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIR5T8fTV6A

Let me know what you think.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Forgive my blunt honestly here. I think you need an assistant to help hold everything, or more rehearsal. It looks unpolished and a little fumbled.

Because you have to focus so much on pushing things around, you aren't able to engage the audience. Bring in an assistant to move things around and that will give you the freedom to connect with your audience throughout the performance of the illusion. They will be looking for someone who can connect with the audience and shine as a personality.

Thanks for sharing and I hope my points above are helpful!

Cheers,

Chris.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I agree with Chris. The assistants will also enable you to shave some time off of the performance. AGT will only accept video's that are 90 seconds or less.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Hey lil Magic, I'm glad you are enjoying Beside Yourself, but it does appear you meed to polish it up a little bit.

An assistant will hep you run it if you are more pressed for time. Also you need more light on the video.

Also you really need to have the curtain open first. Show yourself standing on the one side, then close the curtain and slide your upper half over and then reopen it to show your legs are still on the otherside, then do it all in reverse, and end with the curtain open again so the audience can see there are no fake body parts. Leaving the curtain closed will lead them to believe this even though there are none there, the audience won't know that, taking away from the baffling nature of the illusion.

On a side note I am currently working on a beside yourself 2 in the shop, and I have refined the illusion 10 fold.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
I agree with all the above. Also another thing to focus on and it could be my screen but it is very dark to see a lot of things. You need front lighting instead of having lighting from the back from the garage. Also it was very hard to see what was on the board color wise. Remember you are filming for a camera not the naked eye.

I will reiterate that polish up your routine cause it looks like the first time run thru and if this is for a TV show like this there are many others that are submitting that are polished up more. Practice Practice and good luck!!

Best,
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
760 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I honestly hope the music on the youtube video was not what you sent in on the audition video...
The "F" bomb and the "other" words are not exactly what would be used on national television...
You need to know your target audience, other than that I agree with the assistant comments.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I can't really add anything different to what has already been said...but if I were you, I would re-shoot it. I couldn't even tell what had happened in until close to the end. The lighting was very poor.

Lose the music and change it up. The language will be offensive to quite a few and wouldn't be allowed on TV.

Again...I'm just repeating what others have said...but if you want AGT to take you seriously, you need to re-shoot so they can SEE what you're offering up!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
The only thing I will add is that you unintentionally revealed the secret.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
533 Posts

Profile of RSD
The music will work if that's your personality and the image you may want to portray. However, use the more familly friendly radio version that doesn't have the cussing.
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of Kune
How would the illusion look, if the legs and torso were either pre-drawen/you stuck some photos on there?

I think drawing it at the time is a lot better for presentation, but if it has to be 90 seconds or less, it would help to save a lot of time.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I have nothing to add to what the others have said but I think this illusion has a lot of potential.

Peter, I'm looking forward to the new version. Please keep us all posted.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
They will probably not let you use the music you choose. They will choose music that they don't have to pay large royalties for...
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
OK, here are my comments, and I'm not trying to be mean, but is that all you have? You have to remember, the first round is not easy, especially for magicians, you need to impress the judges with something phenonmienal (spelling?), then in the second round top that. If you really want to use the Beside Yourself for AGT, an assistant would help, but use her in the prop, not yourself. YOu really didn't show any emotion while performing it. You put her behind the prop, have her act as if she's nervous about what is happening (just some emotion) and the judges might buy it.

This isn't a talent competion, its a popularity contest, why do you think magicians never make it to the final 10? AGT eliminates all "novelty acts" which is where they place magic, in thier round of 40. Look back, the percentage of singers and dancers to all other acts are close to 8 to 2. If they were smart, they would leave the singers to Idol or X-Factor, the Dancers to So You Think You Can Dance, and let it be more of a talent show and not singalong hour.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
The sad thing is that the lay public still can relate to music more than magic.
I'm sure it will always be that way.
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Chad Wonder
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
Practice for next year's AGT. Then when you're really good, re-shoot with light from the front and lose the back-light. Shoot it so you don't reveal the secret. I had no idea how it worked until I saw you do it.

Quote:
On 2010-06-15 23:29, Micheal Leath wrote:
The only thing I will add is that you unintentionally revealed the secret.
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
https://www.idomagic.com
http://www.ChadWonderMagic.com
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Hey Michael, and Chad, that's the strange thing about this, I don't think he is using the proper method, it's like it's been altered drastically. The real method doesn't use 2 fake legs, which also allows you to show behind the curtain. This seems like he is doing something different, which might also explain why the curtain must remain closed, it's very strange. I'll send lilmagic a pm and see if I can help him with it.

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

lil_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of lil_magic
Its kinda hard for me to do cause I'm 5'3 those who have this illusion understand that this was built for taller people
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Hey Lil Magic, I sent you Pm in order to help you with the issue. I think I can help you make some adjustments, and refine the presentation.

Peter.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
If you can't to it, right, it isn't for you. there are effects out there you can do.
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
lil_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of lil_magic
I redid it what do ya think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9u8qNTvwFA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » My audition tape for America's Got Talent (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL