The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Neff-style Skeleton Tables (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-06-16 12:15, Michael Baker wrote:
If my knowledge is good, Homer Hudson silk screened the props he made. I have one of his Vampire Blocks, and it appears to be silk screen work. That would be the ideal way to make these skeleton tables, but I don't have the equipment to do that....

Yes. The Imp tables are red, white, yellow, and black. Silk screen is still just a stencil and it would be easy enough to make a silk frame the size you need. That and a squeegee and some paint is about all you need. Well, a lot easier to say than to do still but for small production runs in a one man shop not that far from BFE, or should I say BFA? doable.

THere is pleasure in using simple methods. Magic's amateur surge started in the 1930s and most magic can be made using 1930s technology. Thayer and his crew made nice props, and still considered nice.

Your stencil work is right up there. I used to hand cut film for silk screening t-shirts and posters in the 70s. It's painstaking work. I admire you for cutting those great skeletons by hand. You can still work even when the power is out.

Oh, I had a stencil made for my Bamboo Chop Cups bags. I stencil "CHOP" on the cotton bag much the same way AL Wheatley did in the 1950s. Fortunately I was able to get a nice 1/8" aluminim stencil made. It would hopefully last me literally forever.

But, I havent had a chance to look for that pic of Homer but Ive got a few of them somewhere and when they surface Ill post them.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I had no idea Fairchild made them. When I was doing searches, I turned up very little info. Their rendition is nice, but a little "cartoony" for my taste.

I hinged mine together today and cut the tops for them. They are 15" x 24", half round. Rectangular tops had front corners that shrouded the skeleton heads for anyone viewing from above. The half round tops work much better.

I appreciate everyone's input regarding stencils.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-06-17 01:48, Michael Baker wrote:...Their rendition is nice, but a little "cartoony" for my taste....

Yep, that was my thought too. I like your skeletons a lot better.

How 'bout a pic of the finished tables???
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker

The tops are covered with black felt. The edges folded and wrapped under and stapeled on the bottom side. I'm debating on adding a trim around the edge.

The tops pin hinge to the "boys".
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Very nice.

The last photo is the only one where I really noticed the overspray above the hip, and no one is likely to get that close.

Beautiful work!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Man, I love those tables, Michael. Reminds me of the great spook shows that used to come to the Martin Theater on Saturday nights in the 50s when I was growing up.

Thanks for taking the time to take and post the pics.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I never got to see a Spook Show, and feel I missed something great. I was born in the 50's, and grew up in the Midwest in the 60's where Halloween was very strongly celebrated. During the late 60's, we had a local Saturday midnight TV show called, "The Acri Creature Feature".

http://www.acricompany.com/htmlfile/CFPromo.html

When I was a kid, my brother and I were chosen as "Creeps of the Week", which was a HUGE honor among kids. We got to be on the show and all that cool stuff.

There is a similar thing running out of Michigan now called, "Wolfman Mac's Chiller Drive-In". It's pure cheese like Acri was, but reminds me of a happy time. I love watching it on Saturday nights.

http://www.chillerdrive-in.com/

Needless to say, there has been an undeniable link between all things magic, and all things monsters for me! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Michael, I'd say you're showin' off but you're simply showing the rest of us bumblers HOW!

Great job....thanks for sharing your work here! Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Spook Shows. Drive Ins, just before dark. those were great. They still operated until the mid 60's then people tripped out and didn't need any spooks because they made their own.

Worms, worms worms. The worms went in. The worms went out...............
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Even if there were Spook Shows in theaters or drive-ins into the mid 60's, I would only have been about 10, and probably not allowed to go.

By the late 60's, I remember some Saturday matinee monster movies that I used to go to. No live shows with them though, but an occasional free shrunken head or something for "surviving"! Ha!

Hey, Leland... what's up? Haven't seen you around here in awhile, unless we're haunting different digs.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Yep, I love the spook shows. Kozak and I endeavored to recreate a spook show in Pittsburgh with the show, "Wicked." When we were working in Las Vegas I bought Barclay Shaw's Cremation Illusion complete with the skeleton and had it shipped to Koz's dad's house for the show. I guess it's still there in the garage. I wish I had it here but its a long way to Pittsburgh.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
First time I saw the Cremation (Burned Alive) was at the Midwest Magic Jubilee in St. Louis, probably 1979 or 1980. The illusionist was Bob Phillips. Not sure whatever happened to him. There have been different takes with the skeleton over the years, some pretty good, but others embarrassingly stupid.

These days, the fire creates issues for a lot of venues. However, there is an illusion that I noticed in Osborne's Genii plans a few years ago called, "Resurrection". It is like the Cremation in reverse, going from a smoldering skeleton to a girl. The fire can be eliminated in place of smoke, or it could be presented as a vanquished vampire being reconstituted. Lots of cool possibilities.

I really liked this idea, and wanted to make one for the Halloween shows, but just had not worked it in yet. Efforts and funds were put into other illusions. Then, the other night, a guy on "America's Got Talent", did a version of that very same illusion. That's the first time I'd actually seen it done. His was a real gothic, fire-laden presentation. I have different ideas for it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
Thanx for sharing those pic Michael. Very inspiring.
This is the sort of thing I want to put together too.
Great job.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, Doctor Xombie. Great name, BTW!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
I sent my brother a picture of the tables and he liked them too.
I think I can con him into helping out on mine now. HEHE
He has the saws and wood wurkin skillz. Smile
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Your tables look awesome. Great work
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Quote:
On 2010-06-20 16:26, tabman wrote:
Yep, I love the spook shows. Kozak and I endeavored to recreate a spook show in Pittsburgh with the show, "Wicked." When we were working in Las Vegas I bought Barclay Shaw's Cremation Illusion complete with the skeleton and had it shipped to Koz's dad's house for the show. I guess it's still there in the garage. I wish I had it here but its a long way to Pittsburgh.

I am lined up to pick Kozak's Cremation Illusion up Tuesday. A friend of ours bought it off of Kozak and no longer has use for it.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 16:14, raywitko wrote:...I am lined up to pick Kozak's Cremation Illusion up Tuesday. A friend of ours bought it off of Kozak and no longer has use for it.
Ray

That's great. It belonged to Vegas magician Barclay Shaw. I paid $500 for it at the Barclay Shaw auction after he passed away. I also bought his blank wand and a couple other wands. There were only two or three people at the auction but I remember Max Maven being there and a couple others. Koz promised it to me when the run of the show was over. He helped me get the El-Tab shop going so we're even as far as I'm concerned. I hope it gets some good use. It's definately an old school prop. Keep me posted on it. I think its pretty ironic that you're picking it up. Be careful as I think that skeleton might be haunted!!! Smile

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ray, will you post some photos for us kindred spirits??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Tabby, after reading about it here, 5 days later got an email that it was looking for a new home. Knowing it's history I jumped on it. A little haunting never hurt me yet.
Michael, won't get it til tuesday so won't be able to post pics til after that.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Neff-style Skeleton Tables (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL