The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Does anybody remember (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
On the first World's Greatest Magic, right after Bill Malone's "coinhead" trick that he taught Ben Vereen (did I spell that right?) Smile and right before Tom Mullica's cigarette-eating act, there was this guy from Germany they just called Topas who did this really spiffy act to "Hello Again" by The Cars— produced and vanished lots of magic wands, bells, sunglasses, and finally an electric guitar, to finish it all off!

They said he was the world's master of manipulation. I've just never heard of him since, and I was wondering if he still performs anymore, if he's been on any other shows or if he tours anywhere in America... I always thought of him as a magical role model— he seemed to enjoy himself so much; his act was short but very impressive. I must have watched it a hundred times by now. He just seems to have "disappeared"...
:angel:
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Check out the October 2001 issue of Magic magazine. He is on the cover, and obviously is the topic of the cover story. I hope this helps. Smile
family/magic/music/life
Rob
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Rob
Topas and his partner Roxanne featured quite heavily at the Blackpool convention last year. He did the act that was on the World's Greatest Magic and it was a little longer; there were some card manipulations in there too. Convention goers also got to see him present a very charming thumb tie routine, an excellent Metamorphosis and a very unique Asrah Levitation. Oh, and he lectured too!
CWilcox
View Profile
New user
California
70 Posts

Profile of CWilcox
Whew! Thank God for Google!

http://www.topasmagic.de/

Chris
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5777 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
He gave an awesome lecture at FISM 2000.
Roger Bliss
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
8 Posts

Profile of Roger Bliss
Topas was the host of the evening show of a Dutch convention in 2001 (or was it 2000??). He was great and of course he did his own act. When he was announcing the next act, he always did a little 'trick'. But when it was time for a little break, he got on to stage and produced 'out of nowhere' a bottle of soda and a Twix. That was really amazing, because I sat at the front row and I saw nothing. He was a really good performer and a really nice host.
-He who does not try, knows not what he can do-
Manipulix
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Manipulix
Topas is giving many lectures in Germany, especially for German Magic Circle.
He is doing well and of course very busy.

Magically yours

Manipulix Smile
What is life without a little bit of magic?
Mr. Magician
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Mr. Magician
He has been in Luis de Matos TV show here in Portugal and Roxanne too.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Topas did one effect in that routine which is an intersting look on people'e observational skills. If you watch the WGM perfromance you will notice that at the beginging of his routine he vanishes his pair of sunglasses and then a pair reappears around his neck like a bowtie. But if you watch carfully you will notice that the pair around his neck was there right from the begining and no one notices...He even gets a round of applause when shows the second pair around his neck and then wears them. I even showed some people that work in my show and they swear that the second pair was never there until I rewind the tape... I love it, now that is as simple of a production you can get.

I believe one of the reasons that people don't notice the glasses is because his costume is very 'busy' looking and colourful, and they simply go unnoticed.

Cheers to Topas for pulling it off!

Smile

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Topas was what brought me back into magic. I had kind of fallen out of it and was not practicing anymore. Then I watched WGM and saw his act— I was hooked again! Since then I have been doing magic all the time.
Most magically yours,
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
bdormer
View Profile
New user
Maryland, USA
49 Posts

Profile of bdormer
I have to second the sentiment of WR— WGM (not Topas specifically, but he was part of it) is what got me "back in the saddle" after many years of ignoring magic. I also have to give some credit to the much-maligned Masked Magician. Despite how he did it, he rekindled my interest in magic.

And in the MM's defense— other than the (inter)national exposure, did he do anything different from any other magician that makes an instructional video? Jeff McBride (just a name for example) sells VHS and DVDs teaching magic, and ANYONE can buy them. All the MM did was get his tape broadcast on TV.

Point is, you don't need a license to buy magic supplies, books, videos... Anybody with a credit card has access to the same information you and I do.
CardConjurer
View Profile
Loyal user
South Florida
202 Posts

Profile of CardConjurer
True bdormer, but he did it to expose, he didn't do it to teach us how to do it. If had done it to teach, he would have taught us how to build it and stuff. Jeff McBride's videos teach thoroughly how to do it, not to expose, and Jeff McBride would never want his tape broadcast on national TV.
I like cards.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Wow... that Topas site was great. Thanks, CWilcox! I even wrote him an e-mail. Wow, after all these years... and it looks like he has a pretty impressive show, not just sleight of hand either.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2002-07-03 12:37, bdormer wrote:
And in the MM's defense— other than the (inter)national exposure, did he do anything different from any other magician that makes an instructional video? Jeff McBride (just a name for example) sells VHS and DVDs teaching magic, and ANYONE can buy them. All the MM did was get his tape broadcast on TV.

1. The MM was revealing things that weren't his to reveal. Jeff McBride, on the other hand, teaches either his own things, or things that he's gotten permission from the creator to include. Big difference.

2. The MM simply gives the secret. Jeff tells you HOW to perform it. Big difference.

3. The MM is revealing the secrets for anyone to see. Jeff is teaching them to those willing to invest something in learning it, even if it's only $30 or so. Big difference.

4. The MM has the attitude of "Here, look at this, don't you feel stupid for falling for this?" Jeff's attitude is "Here, look at this, if you put in the time and practice, you can entertain and amaze people with this stuff too!" Big difference.

Shall I continue?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
magibrad
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of magibrad
Hey all, just a question, where is it that I can find Topas's Lecture notes? A good friend of mine is searching for them! Thanks!

-Brad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Does anybody remember (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL