We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Marked" balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 17:29, kentfgunn wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 14:10, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
I have a routine in progress that people enjoy using things other than balls that are signed. I will say no more though because I don't want to give my routine away. All my other unique cups and balls routines are either taken or impractical.

J.G.

Oh magnificent one. We wait with bated breath to see what revelations on this time-honored trick you care to share with us.

What on earth do you mean when you say all your unique cups and balls routine are taken? Have you sold them to other performers?

If a routine is impractical, why crow about it?

Anyway . . .

Someone asked about Multi-Colored Ball routines.

Routines I know of are:

Colombini's Mamma Mia Cups and Balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bYXt-u3MAA

Leo Leslie's Technicolor Cups and Balls -
http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......b49d26e7

Travis Coopers has a routine in print. (Thanks Byron!)

Scotty York's X-Rated Cups and balls has a Multi-colored ball version.

Lawrence O also has a routine, I think it's on some tapes put out by Stevens.

That's all the multi-color routines I can think of off the top of my head.

KG

Uhm...I seem to recall one pretty spectacular version by some fellow by name of, uhm, ...oh yes - Kent Gunn?!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 17:08, panlives wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 16:36, Bill Palmer wrote:
That's the rub when you are dealing with a trick that is as old as the cups and balls. Just about the time you develop something that is brand new, someone points it out in an 18th century text.

Bill,
This almost begs the question:
Are there any “recent” routines that are new, without a known precursor, not derivative in any way?
Topic for another thread, perhaps?

It depends on how you define "known precursor" and "derivative in any way." Obviously, any one, two or three cup routine has precursors to some extent or another.

I think it is more important to recognize how the cups and balls have progressed since, say, the 1700's. If you consider how much was revealed in Guyot, then that's a big order.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
A Guy could always use wood balls, unpainted. You can buy dozens for a few dollars.
So cost wouldn't be an issue, nor would their be a need for stickers etc.

I don't know that there is anything you could not do with cups and balls. However, the trick can become intolerably complex and confusing really quick.

I would add that should you add another "thing" to the trick aside from all the other things going on... you might want to consider removing or shortening something else or you could lose the audience attention fast.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of my absolute favorite routines is Rafael Benatar's e-mail routine. It is fast, it is logical and it has a captivating story. It is also derivative to a certain degree, but the patter and concept give it great originality.

I know of a fellow (I've mentioned this before) who can do 30 minutes of c&b material without repeating a single move. The trouble is that he doesn't refrain from doing all of what he knows. As much as I love the cups and balls, I can think of few things more boring than watching 30 minutes of "and then there is the Charlie Miller move to the table. Then there is the Charlie Miller move to the next cup down."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 17:29, kentfgunn wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 14:10, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
I have a routine in progress that people enjoy using things other than balls that are signed. I will say no more though because I don't want to give my routine away. All my other unique cups and balls routines are either taken or impractical.

J.G.

Oh magnificent one. We wait with bated breath to see what revelations on this time-honored trick you care to share with us.

What on earth do you mean when you say all your unique cups and balls routine are taken? Have you sold them to other performers?

If a routine is impractical, why crow about it?

Anyway . . .

Someone asked about Multi-Colored Ball routines.

Routines I know of are:

Colombini's Mamma Mia Cups and Balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bYXt-u3MAA

Leo Leslie's Technicolor Cups and Balls -
http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......b49d26e7

Travis Coopers has a routine in print. (Thanks Byron!)

Scotty York's X-Rated Cups and balls has a Multi-colored ball version.

Lawrence O also has a routine, I think it's on some tapes put out by Stevens.

That's all the multi-color routines I can think of off the top of my head.

KG

Sorry it's been a while since I have checked back up on older threads I have posted on. Anyway I have it on youtube now. In a while I will have a much better improved routine on. When I said my routines have been taken I simply meant I came up with something that I later found to have been done already. That would be loose loads water being one of them or even a pile of objects like jewels or pennies. Mine would be shelled peanuts. I don't remember exactly what I was thinking when I said impractical but just read some of my older posts. Those routines are great by the way.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=46

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=363547&forum=20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgedaFqqPOA
Jeremy Gates
Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
Jay Sankey mentions marked balls on his Magus Capsule DVD. The balls are dark purple crochet, one ball is, 'special' the other 3 are not, 'special.' The 'special' ball is marked with a very small bit of white thread stitched onto a bit of purple crocheting. This ball is marked as a magician's aid, the spectator is not supposed to see it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"Pay no attention to the white spot on the ball, as it appears and disappears. This has nothing to do with the trick. Trust me on this."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
K
I
S
S

AKA KEEP IT SIMPLE
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jeremy -- I'll send you an e-mail about this in a couple of days. Not bad for a first effort, all things considered.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
C&B bullet catch: Have ball signed. Place in tube. Blow toward cup. Ball appears under cup.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Just don't inhale when the ball is in the tube and the tube is up to your lips. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I never inhaled . . . .
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2010-12-24 12:57, Bill Palmer wrote:
Just don't inhale when the ball is in the tube and the tube is up to your lips. Smile

Signed ball to lung.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Marked" balls? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL