The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The Famous Razor Blade Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Razor Blades Trick

Recently the magic community has been offered a new version of the Razor Blade Trick at a very huge price tag, The Blades by Scott Alexander.

So for those interested parties that cannot meet the requirements for purchase, or cannot afford, or do not wish to spend that amount of money on a classic effect. I have assembled an alternative list of this effect being sold at a less expensive price.

1. Vest Pocket Razor Blade Trick manufactured by D. Robbins / E-Z Magic. I must say this is a very good method for the effect. A nice or some ads would say handsome vinyl case or holder is supplied with 5 blades, you supply the thread and glass of water. The switch is genius to say the least, or E-Z as the manufacturer implies. It can be carried in your inside breast pocket if you wish. Making is a trick that packs small and plays big. Robbins has been selling this version of the trick for well over 60 years.

2. The Razor Blade Trick by Kovari. This is a real classic, as the version I have is made with the German Razor Blades. These blades have 3 holes lined up in the center of the blade. Thus this prevents the thread from getting caught when removing them from your mouth. The loading device is built into a large spool of thread. Paul Potassy, Alan Shaxon, and the late John Booth perfered this set-up and type of equipment for the effect, as it allows automatic loading of the blades into the mouth with very little effort. With this effect you receive 8 blades and the spool of thread. You add only a glass of water.

3. Razor Blade Illusion by Dave Powell. This is a very smart looking Plexiglas display stand. This stand comes with 6 razor blades; you supply the thread and glass of water. This type of stand is unique, as it switches the blades for you automatically. Of course being this is a display stand you will have to have a table to set it on while performing. Thus this adds to your prop management.

4. Signature Antique Razor Blade Illusion by Dave Powell. This is a more expensive stand made of natural wood. It also uses 6 razor blades, but you must supply your own blades, thread, and glass of water. Again another old automatic switch device built into the stand.

5. Razor Shots by Peter the Adequate. Manufactured by Cody Fisher. Do not know anything about this DVD and equipment, but it is another alternative.

6. Ultimate Blades by Tim Ellis. I recently purchased this PDF format booklet and I can honestly cannot recommend this version to anyone, as it is just too dangerous in method compared to the above outlined Razor Blade effects available on the current market

So there you have the offerings I have found and in a couple of cases have actually used myself over the years and can recommend. Of course the 1st four effects come with the bare minimum of written instruction for the working. The presentation and showmanship have to come from you, to make it the exciting classic trick that it is, it has stood the test of time like all good classic tricks.

Paul Potassy has it on DVD and his book; he describes his complete set-up and handling.

Alan Shaxon’s and John Booth’s methods are described in their respective books, but not readily available as I believe both are out of print.

If you know of any other Razor Blades Illusions please feel free to list them.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7366 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
George Johnstone had a version in his lecture notes (and maybe in the new tops). Hint use a table napkin for the work.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Bill and Richard,

From one "old school" guy to what I believe may be two more Smile, I wish to thank you for some common sense!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1465 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Don't forget Owen Magic Supreme's version.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Scott Alexander, but being the Supreme Magic Co. has been defunct for over 30 years, they would only be available from a used source of some kind. As far as I am aware, they sold the Abbott's Magic version that has not been available for over 60 years. Tannen use to sell a version that was displayed with a "V" type stand, I check for this post and they do not carry it any longer, but I believe I have seen it recently on a site, thought it was Tannen's but it is not there now.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1465 Posts

I believe they have them in Azuza at Owen Magic. I got one for my collection a few years back. I bet they have a few lying around out there. I think I paid 400 bucks for it 3 or 4 years ago. Denny Haney uses one to display the blades in his show. He would know for sure. However, Denny has an entirely different method to prepare the blades which he was kind enough to allow me to teach on "The Blades" DVD. It is the foundation for the set-up method I use and teach with the routine.

And hey, he's one of you "old school guys!"
haha
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7366 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Scott,
You got me thinking. I remember George Kirkendall made one that ran about $125 in the 1970's. I guess that would be about $300 in today's market. It was nice but I never could understand spending that kind of money to switch blades.

BTW, Paul Potassy and Sr. Rai always did it with sharp blades. Rai told me he had never been cut doing it.

I think if I was ever going to to do it. I would not use the sharp blades.

I remember Karrel Fox doing a spoof of Otto Wesley (who did one heck of a razor blade string) using tin foil and kite string. He had Otto's wife fold up the packet for him.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1465 Posts

Another old schooler...Hi Richard.

I do a little time about sharp versus dull on The Blades DVD. There are reasons for and against both.
Also...I believe the Kirkendall one displays the blades in a row while the Owen has them around a circle. I think Zanadu also had one where they were displayed around a diamond shape stand.

And yes...Karrel Fox....what a guy!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-06-17 22:44, Scott Alexander wrote:
And hey, he's one of you "old school guys!"
haha

:)

I appreciate your sense of humor! I also appreciate quality magic apparatus, and feel there is more than a place and a need for it in our industry.

I do think however, that newer students of magic can easily become blinded by the blitz of advertising (paid for or otherwise) that can surround newer products (which are often priced quite high). The methods used to promote these newer pieces of magic are much more powerful than a book or catalog lying around on a shelf.

Granted, often the quality of magic is reflected in the price, but that is not always the case. Often it reflects only the quality of the apparatus, but not the quality of the method or information. I have seen some glorious pieces of apparatus that are to be used for the stupidest of tricks. By the same token, I have seen a simple set of instructions capable of conveying a beautiful idea in magic.

Because of this, I thought Bill's listing of other sources for the trick was a commendable offering, both in respect for the financial means of younger magicians, but also for the historical aspects. Without such reminders, the current crop of newer magicians may mentally rewrite history, forever believing that David Blaine invented street magic, that folding coins were always meant to be bitten, and that every trick is known by a person's name, rather than by the plot is conveys.

"Old school guys" are not necessarily stuck in the past, and many have an educated appreciation for progress in magic. But the same is not always the case about newer magicians. They are frequently stuck in the present, with a fading link to their education of the past. It is not their fault. Marketing and the media are powerful tools that can both spotlight or supress information. I for one will always applaud those who chose to cast light into darkness.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1465 Posts

Amen brother....you're preachin' to the choir!

I think it's great that Bill listed all that info. And yes, The Blades is not intended for someone who just mastered the Svengali Deck last week. It's for, lets say, well seasoned magi.

I absolutely believe that young up in coming magicians should start with the basics, maybe even a book! I believe newbies should download directly from book to brain rather than downloading the latest trick from the web that may or may not make them a star. I remember learning from books, and yes, even VHS tapes. Wow..I'm starting to sound "old school."

And I'm truly glad you appreciate my sense of humor Michael:-)
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-06-18 00:04, Scott Alexander wrote:
Amen brother....you're preachin' to the choir!

It's a popular pastime around here. Smile

Quote:
Wow..I'm starting to sound "old school."

It's a state of mind, not chronology. Glad to have you as a member!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-06-17 23:15, hugmagic wrote:
Scott,
You got me thinking. I remember George Kirkendall made one that ran about $125 in the 1970's. I guess that would be about $300 in today's market. It was nice but I never could understand spending that kind of money to switch blades.

Richard you beat me to mentioning Kirkendall's model, I just thought of his today and I was going to mention it, when I read your post. This very thick heavy metal chrome stand, was very nice, but when I seen it I was not very excited about the 'plain' design. I think it was $150.00 in the early 1970's, and $300.00 by the early 1980's, as I tracked him down and called him. He did not really want to make one, so I did not push him. Later, a friend purchased a Kirkendall model from Joel Bauer while taking his seminar in California.

I think the price of that stand today would be more like $900.00 today, that stand had to weigh 3 pounds or more.

Quote:
BTW, Paul Potassy and Sr. Rai always did it with sharp blades. Rai told me he had never been cut doing it.

My copy of Paul Potassy book does mention that his prepared blades are lightly chrome plated, I would imagine that that would dull the edges somewhat, but still just to dangerous to my way of thinking. Potassey mentions he likes to use the 3 hole German blades, so the Kovari Blades would be a great alternative as these are made with this style razor blade.

Never seen Senor Rai do this at Abbott's, must have been on another Abbott's Get-Together. I thought he only did huge Illusions.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7366 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Rai did the blades in the nightclub act days.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Don`t forget Terri Rogers. She also had a fine version in one of her books
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bojanbarisis, you are absolutely correct, with all the copying going on in the magic World, I don't understand why anyone has not made that version for sale. It is the most perfect version I have ever seen on her video, and as about as safe a you can get an effect like this.

Simple, direct, easy and it totally fooled me. I have tried and and tried to find silver Mylar for years, but I cannot even with the Internet. They do not like to give a proper/exact explanation of the product.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3376 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Michael Pauls Urban Legend is worth a mention
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-06-18 20:04, takeachance wrote:
Michael Pauls Urban Legend is worth a mention

To complete the "mention" here is the ad text:
Introducing Urban Legend... straight from the working repertoire of Michael Paul.

You know the classic razor blade trick: The magician swallows a number of ultra-sharp razor blades, and regurgitates them tied together on a length of string. Now, check out Urban Legend... do the classic razor blade routine without the danger. Do it close up. Do it on the street. Do it behind the bar, or surrounded, or on the largest stage! This is the real work on one of the most awesome, show stopping routines in existence.

This package comes complete. It's a full act with every detail well thought out, and ready to make it's way into your working set.

You'll get:

*A customized, royalty-free soundtrack!
*A full performance shot in hi-def!
*A set of lecture notes to follow along with video
*A complete, highly detailed "lecture style" instructional video (over an hour long!)
*A separate pdf, with the complete script!

Sound interesting and I like the fact, he includes a sound track. Looks like there is no props included, so if you have to make them, I do not see how it would be called "SAFE".

Thanks for the reference. If you have can give any thoughts as to the effectiveness of this offering, then we would like to hear your thoughts. Of course without mentioning anything that reveals the method.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
How about the method in Clasics of Magic, or is it Magicl Classics? By Bruce Elliot.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
The first method I ever came across was by John Booth in his "John Booth Classics" book. I believe the only apparatus was a pocket handkerchief. I never tried it, but admired the boldness and simplicity of it all.

Ron
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1465 Posts

"Classic Secrets of Magic" Great book!!!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The Famous Razor Blade Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL