The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The Famous Razor Blade Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3376 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Urban Legend is based around a character that put nasty things is givaways for hallaween. The whole story line and routine makes sense for having the props and reason for placing the blades in ones mouth. It is not a comedy piece for sure but also not bizarre, more storytelling and as the title suggest, about an urban myth. You only produce 2 blades tied but because of the scripting it comes across as skill rather than a magic trick of pulling endless blades out. It really is a very very clever piece for this effect. I think I paid something ridiculas for it like $20-$25. It flew under the radar for most but as a storytelling piece is wonderful. For anyone interested in this type of effect as a storytelling piece for adults, I highly recommend the very small investment as this is truely a very well balanced and well scripted piece of entertainment.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22399 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Take-a-chance, thanks for clarifying the effect. Sounds more like a show piece for some special kind of show. Magic is the main them of the Café, and if it is not presented as magic then cannot see how it would fit in a magic act.

Dark magic or special knot tying skills is out of my realm of magic presentations but it may inspire someone to create a piece of their own. It does suffer from not using the "theory of three" or fit the classic number of blades in the standard presentation.

Thanks for the good explanation.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Just curious... how is my version any more dangerous than the other methods you've listed?

Anyone who hasn't seen it can view it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iqZvPvVpL0

In over 20 years of doing this I've never cut myself, and having taught my method in lecture note format for at least 8 years, no-one has ever reported back that they've hurt themselves in any way either.

"...your work on the blades... great stuff, and by far the best routine I've ever seen." - Jeff McBride

"Tim's Ultimate Blades is an excellent method." - Magic Magazine
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22399 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Taken from the manuscript of Ultimate Blades, section Final Comments.

Quote: "You will cut yourself if you try this trick. Every second or third show I find a small amount of blood on the blades when I'm cleaning up, and I get little cuts in my mouth, ......"

Continueing: "You may have more success (and less cuts) than I." End Quote.

E-Z blades and Kovari blades are manufactured to work safely.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Hmmm... I see your point. That was originally written for people who had seen me lecture on the trick, so they understood what I was referring to.

Even if you'd seen the video download that quote might have made more sense.

What I'm referring to is how the blades rub against my gums. This happens because of the position of the blades in the mouth between the cheek and the gums and how they rub on the gums and can irritate the skin. Doing this trick several times a day, as I was when I wrote the notes, makes it worse. It can happen with every blade trick I know and is, in fact, worse with any blades that have the centre hole exposed.

I have used E-Z and Kovari before but have actually cut the inside of my cheek on the jagged centre hole of the blades. My method eliminates this.

So my final comment statement about "you will cut yourself" is referring to the gums and will happen with virtually all blade tricks where you hold the blades in that position in your mouth.

If you read my method you'll know it's virtually impossible to cut yourself with the actual blades, despite the fact that they will cut playing cards.

Perhaps people who do use my method should comment here.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1465 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
One thing I like about "The Blades" is that this potential gum cutting problem is worked out.

I do like your routine very much Tim....I saw you do it at a lecture in Vegas years ago. Very well constructed and entertaining.

Basically, anytime you have any sharp metal object in or near your mouth there is a potential for cutting yourself. Who hasn't ever cut themselves shaving? Haha.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1347 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I believe it also depends on a person's mouth size. I know a girl who can't hold them because she has a very small mouth cavity, but some who can no problem.
Official Thread Killer
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7366 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Now maybe someone can up with stage sized blades (like jumbo cards) for those big mouthed magicians.

Remember how Mahka Tendo blew everyone away with his jumbo card manipulations. Imagine playing card or bigger razor blades from the mouth. I think it would be a hoot.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1347 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I know someone who tried it and it just looked goofy and not very believable.
Official Thread Killer
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
When razor blades themselves became hard to get here in Australia for a while, I envisaged a routine where you swallow a half dozen safety razors... Smile as you say, a bit goofy...

I also came up with a perverse routine many years ago where the magician gets confused and, instead of slicing playing cards with the blades and then slipping them under his tongue, he sliced his tongue with the blades and slipped them under the plying cards. The blades still ended up threaded together, but his tongue was shredded.

Just got difficult to find good fake tongues...
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
In three years of using Tim's method I have never been cut. I have gone through several gimmicked/auto/mechanical methods but for me...Tim has the answer.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1347 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Aren't there a couple DVD's with the effect as well. "Geek magic" and Helter Shelter? (which apparently has a numerous methods on it)
Official Thread Killer
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22399 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-07-25 23:33, Stucky wrote:
Aren't there a couple DVD's with the effect as well. "Geek magic" and Helter Shelter? (which apparently has a numerous methods on it)

My purpose for this thread was to list mechanical methods available, then I realized that there were other methods put out in the last few years, so if you would like to research the above you mentioned and post a review of what they are about, then you are more then welcome to do so.
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Quote:
On 2010-06-20 22:57, wmhegbli wrote:
Take-a-chance, thanks for clarifying the effect. Sounds more like a show piece for some special kind of show. Magic is the main them of the Café, and if it is not presented as magic then cannot see how it would fit in a magic act.

Dark magic or special knot tying skills is out of my realm of magic presentations but it may inspire someone to create a piece of their own. It does suffer from not using the "theory of three" or fit the classic number of blades in the standard presentation.

Thanks for the good explanation.

Hi! If you don't mind too much, I'd love to jump in here for a quick second...

Urban Legend certainly doesn't use the classic method, or follow the classic presentation, but does in fact follow the theory of three, which is covered in detail within the manuscript.

I do close my magic shows with it. My theatre show, my Monday Night Magic parlor type show, and in the close up room at the Castle. I can assure you that it is both magical and disturbing. For that reason, it's not for everyone... but I just wanted to clarify that it is "magic".

Certainly, it's a darker, more off-beat magic effect. It won't fit everyone's style, but that's why I like it! Oh, it may be worth mentioning (though I did so indirectly above) that this version does play close up and does not employ a switch. In that sense, it may be of interest to those doing research.

Thanks for allowing me the brief intrusion.

Michael Paul
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
Just wanted to add a reminder! There is a version in Tarbell 4. After researching different methods myself, it is the version I settled on. It's very sound, and I only had to buy some razor blades
Weird is part of the job.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1795 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Anyone knows anything about Billy McComb version? I saw it some old cruise ship video. Usually what ever McComb did was rather easy and very workable. Only info I found about it was that it was sold on some auction after McComb died???

Juha-Matti
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Im bumpinh up this old thread because I am curious if there are any newer versions out that are safer / cheaper to obtain?

I am particularly looking for multiple blades put into the mouth and pulled out on the string (like 5 or more), they can go in 1 at a time, or all at once, as long as in the beginning I can show each seperatly.

I want to take 0% chance of swallowing a REAL SHARP blade. I understand irritation or things of that sort. But not a method where a real blade comes anywhere near my mouth.

Any suggestions?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22399 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-12-23 01:50, Derek Castillo wrote:
Im bumpinh up this old thread because I am curious if there are any newer versions out that are safer / cheaper to obtain?

I am particularly looking for multiple blades put into the mouth and pulled out on the string (like 5 or more), they can go in 1 at a time, or all at once, as long as in the beginning I can show each seperatly.

I want to take 0% chance of swallowing a REAL SHARP blade. I understand irritation or things of that sort. But not a method where a real blade comes anywhere near my mouth.

Any suggestions?

Kovari's is still available:
http://www.kovarimagic.com/Catalogue/Wor......_18.html

Here is one by Uday:
http://www.tricksupply.com/product-p/udblademystery.htm

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I just "stumbled" onto this thread, and looking back at Bill Hegbli's >>OP<< I used the EZ prop for several years, when I was in my teens ('40s). I learned it from HERMAN SUSS on the JOHN R WARD CARNIVAL. Herman had framed a big illusion show for Ward's big RAILROAD CARNIVAL. He used it as an 'in one' effect. I made the prop from corrugated card board and my mom sewed a black cloth "cover" for it. Thanks, Bill, for reminding me. (I was using the effect before I was old enough to shave!!!)

I remember John Booth's method from "MARVELS OF MYSTERY", but didn't have the chutzpah to try it in those days.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
Didn't Houdini do the razor blade trick in one of his shows?
if so what version did he use?

thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The Famous Razor Blade Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL