The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » It's going to happen tomorrow... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DaiJou
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of DaiJou
..I will hit the streets for first time. I got permission to perform during local market fair which is (in my area) quite large happening. I have routines practiced, patter memorized et cetera. All I need is some words of encouragement. I feel great for this opportunity and my first goal is to have fun. Money is not important this time. If I get 7€ to buy pizza afterwards I'm happy Smile

I will come back to tell you guys how did it go.

-Timo
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Good Luck Timo, the 1st step is alway the hardest.

Let us know how the show went and how the Pizza was

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
SilvaAce
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
156 Posts

Profile of SilvaAce
Remember to have fun and enjoy what you are doing, this will ease the nerves.
You have practiced long enough, now let them have it!

I read a quote on here, can't find it now, went something like
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts". So it's your turn to get out there and start learning. My time is coming soon too! Can't wait.
All you have to do to change your life, is to change your daily habits!

Carlos Silva
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Go get 'em!
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Cum Magum Magus sine risu occureat, Magus non sit.

Good luck! (Not that luck's got anything to do with it.)
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
KendallScot
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, Colorado
133 Posts

Profile of KendallScot
Break a wand!

I hope you make enough for pizza AND beer!

Just remember to enjoy the moment.
Kendall Scot

"The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives will be filled with joy"
**Doug Henning**

"I drank WHAT?""
**Socrates**
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
334 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
What effects are you doing?
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
DaiJou
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of DaiJou
Whew! Okay guys, the fair is over and I'm home with my stuff AND with lots of information. I'll begin from the start:
Quote:
On 2010-06-17 22:07, TheGiz wrote:
What effects are you doing?

I did three routine act featuring these effects:

1.Card flourish as crowd gatherer -> Card trick, which name I honestly don't know. I learned this from fellow magician. The effect: Chosen card is put in middle of the deck, and it changes to blue-backed while rest of the deck is red. Then the blue-backed card is removed from deck and same trick is repeated with another spectator. But magician fails to change 2nd selection to blue-backed card. However the discarded blue-backed card has changed to the 2nd selection. Can someone identify this trick for me?

2.Cut and restored rope. Quite simple but visual routine.

3. The Cups and Balls. Three staged routine gathered from different sources. I try to make it more my own and not to copy ideas from other.

As I earlier posted, I wanted only to gather experience and learn from this performance. And so I did. Some examples:
1. You just can’t please everyone. Someone likes magic, someone doesn’t. Someone likes card tricks, someone doesn't.
2. Balloon animals. My biggest mistake was when I did some balloon twistings _for free_ to few kids. Should I have charged something? I felt I should have. But I could not change my fee in middle of line.

I also learned something about myself. When I performed I didn't shake, even a little. I was actually surprised for this because idea of doing magic in front of total strangers made me nervous beforehand. I guess I have talent for this eh? Smile

But sum summarum, performance was great. I got much positive feedback from audience, from fair management AND even local press. YES, local reporter interviewed me and took a lot of photos of me doing magic. I enjoyed this so much that I just have to go out there again. I have already two fairs in my scope in future.

Oh almost forgot. Pizza was awesome: Pineapple, mushrooms, cheese.

-Timo
okamis
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of okamis
Wow! It sounds like a great time. I'm going to hopefully go next Thursday, I hope I will have as much fun as you DaiJou.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2010-06-17 15:21, KendallScot wrote:
Break a wand!

Though your thoughts are good, broken wand is not a good thing in magic.
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 13:48, DaiJou wrote:

Can someone identify this trick for me?

I believe it's "Chicago Opener" or "Red Hot Mama"

Way to go! I'm planning on getting out there tomorrow if the weather complies. Hope I can ride the wave of good karma you've got going!
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Well do!! Very well done!!!
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Check out this thread for info on your card trick;

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=2&2
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
DaiJou: I like your post. Seems you was bitten. That is good! Keep doing it.

About the ballon animal. I did a similair thing a couple of years ago. I droped it because parents don't know what to do efter the kid get the animal. Sometimes they pay you, somtimes they don't - in any case - you send the signal that you're making ballons. You have a bunch of kids screaming and shouting different types of animals at you. People belive that you are a child entertainer. And as far as I know, children seldom have any money. Parents wants to rest for a while. So you become a baby sitter. (For free)

My experience with ballons is negative. I can be wrong on this one - perhaps it works for you - but I would drop it and build the crowd in an other manner. Or perhaps use the ballon in another way.
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Early on especially when working parks I would balloon busk and when someone would ask how much I would say I don't charge but you can tip me if you like. My hat would be on my table and the kids would line up with money in hand.

Congratulations on your first time out.
...the magic that creates Memories!
KendallScot
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, Colorado
133 Posts

Profile of KendallScot
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 16:52, mandarin wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-17 15:21, KendallScot wrote:
Break a wand!

Though your thoughts are good, broken wand is not a good thing in magic.

Wow.. I didn't even think of that... My apologies! It was the first thing to come to mind.

I take it back and replace it with "Break a thread!"

For those of you who are scratching your head, my mistake in saying that, is the Breaking of the Wand Ceremony only happens at a Magicians funeral.

Thank you Mandarin for reminding me of that.
Kendall Scot

"The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives will be filled with joy"
**Doug Henning**

"I drank WHAT?""
**Socrates**
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
A lady hit my wand on my table at a show and it broke in half. Did she kill me? Or am I still alive because I refer to it as a stick?
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Daijou, well done! I enjoyed reading your report. When I do balloons I tell them, "I ask for a donation of $2". If a balloon is given out free, make sure you tell the person "Tell other people a ballon is a donation, and he asks for $2". Tell the person wanting a balloon not to give you the donation until you hand over the balloon. That way others in the line will see, and understand, that the balloons are being "paid" for, even if it is a donation.

You can use a balloon to make a big wand. Use a 260 black one, take a sheet of white typing/photocopy paper that is cut in half crosswise. Blow up the balloon and wrap each end in a sheet of paper, sticky taping it closed. A balloon wand 1 metre long!
The presentation makes the magic.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
We usually stay away from balloon animals. Found out that once you start, it can be a never ending line. You also get the kids that are rough with the balloons, break them and then come over with the saddest look on their faces asking for a replacement.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Even worse as damage to a balloon are the teenagers who get a free balloon and then within a 1/4 hour or so deliberately burst it. I used to give out free balloons quite freely, but tightened up on that and am making more money by working smarter. How to deal with children who turn up by themselves without money asking for a balloon - tell them to fetch their Mum or Dad over with them. It's the Mum or Dad who is going to have the money for you.

Well, to get back to the original matter of the thread, it's about a week since you posted DaiJou/Timo. When are you expecting to be going out again?
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » It's going to happen tomorrow... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL