The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Some News (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClayC
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ClayC
Hey everyone I searched before I posted this and did'nt find anything so I am sorry if it has been said already but... Brett Sherwood has dropped his prices on smooth copper and brass cups. again, sorry if this is old news I just saw it and wanted to tell everyone

Clay
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I wonder if this might not be a reflection of the pound to dollar ratio.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ClayC
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ClayC
Bill are you referring to pounds as in lbs or the currency? And on his site there was a note posted about finding a less expensive supplier.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Pounds sterling, not weight. Isn't this fairly obvious from the context? Brett is in England.

BTW, that is not exactly what his note said.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ClayC
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ClayC
I just thought maybe you were refering to a ratio between pounds of copper and the price in dollars I'm sorry. and I didn't know he is in the uk.
Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Brett Sherwood
Quote:
On 2010-06-18 01:55, Bill Palmer wrote:
I wonder if this might not be a reflection of the pound to dollar ratio.

Just for the record, I initially set my Smooth Copper and Smooth Brass Cups prices at $195 (per set of three straight cups), but because of quickly rising spinning costs (out of my control), my price quickly went higher and higher. Also, as many of you already know, for several years I have NOT had any Smooth Copper or Smooth Brass Combo Cups in stock at all, because these were priced at $450 EACH! I personally felt this was above the ceiling price of a realistic amount to charge, as well as, excessive to remain competitive.

I make very little profit selling my cups, because I do not spin my own cups and instead pay a spinner to do this specialized task for me. The design of my Brett Sherwood Cup shape, which I now produce, took me several years to evolve, but my profit selling my cups is still minimal. After several years searching I have only recently located another reliable spinner that has been able to match all my stringent quality checks to still manufacture my Smooth Copper and Smooth Brass Cups at much more affordable prices, without any loss in quality. I am now happy to offer these Smooth Copper and Smooth Brass Cups, as well as, matching Smooth Combo Cups at huge savings as well! I will not advertise here, so if anyone is interested please look on my website.

The changes of my cup prices were not connected to the economy of the English Pound Sterling and US Dollar monetary fluctuations, because as I mentioned above, this has been a work in progress for years. Instead I always strive to keep my customers first and if I can offer savings, then I am happy to pass this on to my customers, instead of keeping this situation quiet and instead pocketing more profit for myself. I always try and remind myself of how I would personally like to be treated and conduct my business accordingly.

I hope this explains how and why my prices have suddenly dropped (after two quiet years of intensive work) on my Smooth Copper and Smooth Brass Cups and Smooth Combo Cups and eventually once I know the demand and supply quotas, if I can drop my prices even further – I will!

Good Wishes To All
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks for the very clear explanation, Brett.

I know that someone else will ask this, so I'll ask it first. Are the new chop cups completely compatible with the older standard cups?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
If priorities weren't elsewhere, I'd be jumping at a combo set of Smooth Coppers! Any plans to ever develop a combo cup for the Copper Engraved, Brett?
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1468 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Spatlind, thank you for asking what I was thinking.
"But there isn't a door"
Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-06-19 12:13, Bill Palmer wrote:
Thanks for the very clear explanation, Brett.

I know that someone else will ask this, so I'll ask it first. Are the new chop cups completely compatible with the older standard cups?

Yes, they were developed especially to work with my existing cup design and are indistinguishable, but there are subtle refinements that make them slightly better. They can now swallow a regulation tennis ball and my Deluxe Load Balls, which are slightly larger, completely on a close-up mat.
I have never produced Engraved Copper Combo Cups or Engraved Brass Combo Cups, because the price would be prohibitive for a couple cups and I doubt I could sell a hundred, so they have never been made.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's good to know. Now, if anyone asks, we have the answer right here.

Hopefully, once you have sold a few hundred sets of engraved cups, we will be able to purchase engraved chop cups as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Smile Sniffle!

Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-06-20 16:20, spatlind wrote:
:( Sniffle!

Sorry Spatlind.
I wanted to elaborate on why I quoted one hundred cups above. This is because my spinner who spins and then engraves my Engraved Cups will only except a minimum order of one hundred cups. I've had interest in only about five Engraved Copper COMBO Cups to date and if I had these in stock I would have had to have paid out a bundle. They would probably be about $600 per combo cup, because of the 'double' engraved cup section required and this would be very difficult to recoup my initial one hundred combo cup investment. I hope this explains my predicament in fulfilling these requests and I am sorry for those who would like to add an Engraved Copper or Engraved Brass combo cup to their collection.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Brett, absolutely no problem, I understand completely. Just joshing! The day I received my Copper Engraved from you was a day I will always remember; you shipped them to me via Switzerland if you remember! What a delight when I opened that package! They are a phenomenal cup and handle beautifully. The customer service you offered me through my "difficult period" when I bought a set of your silver engraveds from another owner, which then were lost by UPS, was second to none, even though it was none of your concern - I'll always appreciate it.

In the meantime, I've picked up a chopped silver engraved to go along with my set that were eventually found by ups, and would just love to have the copper engraved version. Maybe some day!

Best, Scott

P.S. any updates on your book?

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are a handful of cup makers who are pleasant to deal with and who go out of their way to make sure the customer is satisfied. Brett, Donnie and Auke are the three that come to mind instantly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Thanks Bill,
I've always treated others as I would want to be treated in business. I always remember the very first package of magic I opened and how excited I was - I'm STILL EXCITED about magic!!

Regarding my Cups and Balls book...it is coming along nicely...nearly done, but with a recent house move and a current family reunion, it will be delayed another month, before I can continue my FINAL read-through. It has been a true task, personally doing the writing, layout, diagrams, photographs, editing each photo. Currently 165 A4 pages, including some unique ideas, with sections on personal philosophy regarding the cups and balls, evolution of this theory etc... LOTS of thought and relentless work over two years. I'll be happy when it is published! I've learned so much writing this book.

All The Best
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's amazing how much of a learning experience publishing a book can be. Here is a hint. Find someone who can read proof for you.

The easiest way to locate a typo in a newly published book is to open up the first copy that you receive. The print gods always help you by letting you open the book to the first page with a typo on it.

It's even quicker if you have it leather bound! Smile

I'm very excited about your new book.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Looking forward to seeing it Brett

magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
This book sounds good and so do those prices!
Starromeo
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Starromeo
I am still waiting for the reproduction of the silver engraved cups. When can we see that again Brett??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Some News (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL