We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Derren Brown Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1743 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I am trying to understand why Derren Brown's books bring top dollar. There are so many better books on the subject of magic / mentalism, yet his books are going for $100.00-$200.00 whenever I see them on-line. I for one cannot see why!
I am totally open to anyone who can answer this question as to what is in these books?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
kozmic kettle
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of kozmic kettle
They're out of print - which can increase the perceived value of magic books by a huge amount. Just look at the prices that the Color Books of Mentalism were fetching before Prism came out, or that The Card Magic of Nick Trost was fetching before it was reprinted.

Also, Derren is a big star at the moment. He's a household name in the UK and has a much higher level of fame than other magic authors. He has more people copying his style than any other current performer and thousands of would be mentalists want to be him!
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
In addition to being out of print, his books have a philosophical slant different than others in a number of ways including his take on the mix of magic and mentalism. Content aside, he is also an entertaining writer.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1743 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have many other books that are out of print, and they do not come close to the prices of his books. I personally feel the words "out of print" are greatly overused in the book field.
I have gotten more useable magic out of the Trost books than I have from Derren Borwn.
Again, I am just trying to see why anyone wants them, forgetting the out of print answer. Is there over the top mentalism in the pages, I do not feel there is, but that is why I am asking this question.
Rennie
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Your question was clearly asked and I answered, perhaps you don't get it since you are not a fan. There are plenty of books with tricks, the innovative "ideas" in Brown's books are not tricks. But it's okay, not a big deal if you don't appreciate what he has to offer, his books are not for everybody.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-18 21:02, markmiller wrote:
Your question was clearly asked and I answered, perhaps you don't get it since you are not a fan. There are plenty of books with tricks, the innovative "ideas" in Brown's books are not tricks. But it's okay, not a big deal if you don't appreciate what he has to offer, his books are not for everybody.

Well said. If you have watched him, and know the caliber of mentalist he is, and would like to learn some of his effects, like psychological forces, smoke, and other brilliant Loy suggestive effects, you'll pay anything for his books.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Once a (retail)$40.00 book passes $150.00 - $200.00 in the used marketplace, it becomes impossible to get an impartial opinion on the quality of the material in the book itself, or an accurate rational as to why the book is selling in the hundreds of dollars (other than the fact that the marketplace establishes the price at that price point).

Those who own the book will attempt to mystify the material in order that the book maintain its value, both in the marketplace and in their own minds.

Those who don't own the book will render only their thinking pattern used in order to convince themselves they must spend the money required to place the book on their library shelf.

Having said that, the actual quality of writing is superb in Brown's books. His wry sense of humor translates to the page extremely well.
I suspect though, that for most folks a purchase of Brown's (now re-released) "The Devils PIcturebook" DVD might be a more affordable (and useful) introduction to his material and methodology/mindset (remembering of course that Brown himself doesn't do any of the material in the books or on the DVD any longer, and hasn't done for many years).

Although glossed over in current discussions about the books and DVD, this material is a peek into Brown's mind a decade (or longer) ago........certainly not where he's at today based on his choice of original performance material over the past few years.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2010-06-18 11:02, Rennie wrote:
I am trying to understand why Derren Brown's books bring top dollar. There are so many better books on the subject of magic / mentalism, yet his books are going for $100.00-$200.00 whenever I see them on-line. I for one cannot see why!
I am totally open to anyone who can answer this question as to what is in these books?
Rennie

Well, put simply, they're collectables.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Being that there's always at least two or three copies (usually more) of each book available on ebay, I'm not sure they're as much "collectable", as they are simply "desirable".

I believe folks think there's material in the two books that will advance their skills disproportionate to what other books might, and this is what drives the high price (along with the books being OOP).

Although well written, excellent books........and the current price does do a good job of reflecting the fact that the books are desirable and OOP........ the ready availability of both books indicates that plenty of owners are more than willing to get rid of them upon completion of reading.

Emperor's New Clothes?.............maybe a bit.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Supply and demand---if nobody will pay the price, the price will go down. If more people pay the price it will go up.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
In the UK - ask any non-magician/mentalist to name a mentalist of anykind. Apart from perhaps the answer of Simon Baker/Patrick Jane (which doesn't count) the only answer you are likely to get is Derren Brown. I know a number of non-magicians (although I think they are heading that way) who have sought out Derren's books. Consequently, as brehaut has already said, the law of supply and demand comes into play AND (perhaps???) that of keeping the knowledge out of the hands of those who just want to pry.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Because he's a bloody genius. The six pages that begin on page 113 of Pure Effect are the most valuable pages I've ever read about mentalism. YMMV.
jesse_james_mcguire
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jesse_james_mcguire
Everyone loves DBrown, and hype him up, so his value goes up.
PhatDad
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of PhatDad
I've just returned from another one of his shows and once again he was amazing as a showman. This is what the books are about and I think people ignore, more likely don't understand, what he teaches in the books. It's not about the effects he includes it's all about the effects in the viewers mind he allows magicians to create. He teaches the magician how to entertain the public by taking them on a journey rather than your regular 'pick a card, oooh look at it appear on my forehead'.

I can't say much but he took a really simple effect, that most card magicians can do, and turned it into a half hour, jaw dropping, mentalist entertainment. The moves etc were done within the first couple of minutes he then went on and entertained which is what a lot of magicians overlook as they're too hung up on knuckle breaking, finger flicking moves.

I don't know many magicians/mentalists who can hold a crowd for 3 to 3 1/2 hours without losing them. Derren managed to keep us laughing, at one point I was nearly lost in a giggling fit, he also brought a tear to a lot of peoples eyes with one very emotional effect, and then amazed everyone with his finale.

I sound a little like a fanboy don't I? Smile Seriously though, Derren Brown has done for mentalism what David Blaine did for magic, he's brought it to a new generation and kicked out the same old - same old, repetitive Max Maven types.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Quote:
On 2010-06-28 19:52, PhatDad wrote:
I've just returned from another one of his shows and once again he was amazing as a showman. This is what the books are about and I think people ignore, more likely don't understand, what he teaches in the books. It's not about the effects he includes it's all about the effects in the viewers mind he allows magicians to create. He teaches the magician how to entertain the public by taking them on a journey rather than your regular 'pick a card, oooh look at it appear on my forehead'.

Exactly! They are worth every penny for the reason you mention. It's about a philosophy, not an effect.

Cheers,

Sean
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1743 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2010-06-26 14:05, brehaut wrote:
Supply and demand---if nobody will pay the price, the price will go down. If more people pay the price it will go up.

This is the one statement I have to agree with!
Rennie
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
So Rennie, obviously you knew the answer before you started this thread.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1743 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 12:59, lebowski wrote:
So Rennie, obviously you knew the answer before you started this thread.

No, not really. And I still don't know the answer. But thanks for nothing.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2589 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
You obviously aren't a DB fan, which is fine. There are plenty of people on the other side of that fence. There's your answer. I would have thought you could have figured that one out yourself.

In any event, I'm glad to be of help.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of cairo
Rennie it's okay that Brown isn't your cup of tea or you just don't get what his books have to offer. Either way, if you can't see the answer to your question after all the positive posts in this thread, you may as well give up and figure you are the one who never will understand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Derren Brown Books (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL