The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Revelation technique (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 15:04, magicFreak2 wrote:
I will give you the benefit of doubt here and assume that you were referring to Eshla.

I love benefits...

I love much less doubts...

But judging from the answer you gave back to Rob ...

Quote:
On 2010-05-14 00:23, r1z08 wrote:

Listen, kid.

Quote:
On 2010-05-13 22:35, magicFreak2 wrote:

Actually I just finished my second semester at college. 3.5 GPA. Thanks for the kind thought anyways, though.

... I don't really know if that qualifies you as a kid.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 15:22, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 15:04, magicFreak2 wrote:
I will give you the benefit of doubt here and assume that you were referring to Eshla.

I love benefits...

I love much less doubts...

But judging from the answer you gave back to Rob ...

Quote:
On 2010-05-14 00:23, r1z08 wrote:

Listen, kid.

Quote:
On 2010-05-13 22:35, magicFreak2 wrote:

Actually I just finished my second semester at college. 3.5 GPA. Thanks for the kind thought anyways, though.

... I don't really know if that qualifies you as a kid.

Thanks for the clarification.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 12:16, Rocketeer wrote:
Oh I feel like SUCH a noob. I wasn't watching closely last night and didn't even notice the pens.

Not only is the guy selling an idea you practically absorb in your first week or so studying mentalism, in order to do so he edits each performance he shows so he can get away with it.

Moral of the story: Never buy an effect based on a video, unless maybe it's from a TV show. Stick to effects by and/or endorsed by well-known (at least within the industry) performers.

Although I like the sales page mainly because I think it will convert a lot of sales its well done. I don't like the fact that it is aimed at lay people and the current popularity with mentalism. This can only be bad for mentalism.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
I don't think that it can ONLY be bad for mentalism.

Is there something inherently wrong with producing a mentalism tuition product aimed at the general public?
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Yes in my opinion.How can it be good? Its only a step away from exposure.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
Yes in my opinion.How can it be good? Its only a step away from exposure.

That step being the changing hands of some money, and as steps go, that has to be one of the most substantial. There is also a long history of magic/mentalism products being marketed to the general public, the first example that springs to mind being Karl Fulves - Self-working Mental Magic. And of course kids magic sets. Is there a kids mentalism set yet?

Really when it comes to mass market products, I see a trade off between the the benifit of keeping the art alive, attracting new blood and ultimatly increasing the level of performance and the negative of the 'exposure' of secrets.

It rather depends on the product, but mass market products CAN be good for the artform. I happen to think this one won't be.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
In this day of the internet the whole marketing thing has been redefined. We don't need anyone heavily marketing to lay people to keep the art alive. We already have forums like this that attract those that are seeking.

Before the internet you had to go looking in bookshops or mail order magic book dealers. Yet the art survived. Yet it would be rare to ever meet anyone that even kne these books existed. In this day and age that has all changed.

I think there is already far more than enough to keep the art alive. On the contary too many may actually kill it.

Of course this is my opinion.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
But before the internet, if you wanted to find information about anything you had to 'go looking in bookshops'. Now you have to go looking on the internet. Still no argument against mass market products. As for this forum, I'd prefer that someone paid $20 of their own money to learn their first 'secret' than come here and read it for free.

Quote:
I think there is already far more than enough to keep the art alive. On the contary too many may actually kill it.

Well, there is little chance of it dying - that is agreed, and I can at least see the point you are making. However, I'd venture that we could double the number of people performing mentalism and as an artform, reap the benifits of a second Osterlind and damage the artform very little in the process. My opinion of course... but who's opinion is most correct Smile
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 20:53, Davit Sicseek wrote:
But before the internet, if you wanted to find information about anything you had to 'go looking in bookshops'. Now you have to go looking on the internet. Still no argument against mass market products. As for this forum, I'd prefer that someone paid $20 of their own money to learn their first 'secret' than come here and read it for free.

I fully agree with you. If someone shells out $20 for a billet peek, and they really practice it, not only does it show they're not freeloaders, but it would truly get them on the right track to mentalism. Practice.

I would say it's a far cry from exposure. Someone pays $20 to learn something, you can bet they will at least put some effort into it.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
When will people realize that everything that is offered as new is in the old books.

All anyone has to do is search the old manuals and they will find what they are looking for.

What is different is now we are being spoon fed everything. If you are not being spoon fed then it is your's

do some research!
Magic is a vanishing art.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Magicfreak, you'll love this effect !
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 22:27, edh wrote:
When will people realize that everything that is offered as new is in the old books.

All anyone has to do is search the old manuals and they will find what they are looking for.

What is different is now we are being spoon fed everything. If you are not being spoon fed then it is your's

do some research!

True, but to begin in mentalism some feel they need to be led in by a flashy product. It's the first step that counts, even if just looking into al Mann will give you plenty of billet peeks (no doubt the rev. Tech. is a billet peek).

Thank you parmenion but I think I'll pass.
Ray Thompson
View Profile
New user
Des Moines, Iowa
60 Posts

Profile of Ray Thompson
Okay. Maybe your curiosity didn't get the better of you. Mine did. I too knew it to be a billet routine, but hoped it was something new. Stupid of me.

WARNING! Read no further if you do not want to know.

We should be able to be specific to some extent here at least enough to say he is selling "Acidus Novis". He does credit Millard Longman, but doesn't say he has permission to repackage and sell it.
Ray Thompson, the Mind Wizard
www.hypnosisandmore.com
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-24 23:13, Ray Thompson wrote:
Okay. Maybe your curiosity didn't get the better of you. Mine did. I too knew it to be a billet routine, but hoped it was something new. Stupid of me.

WARNING! Read no further if you do not want to know.

We should be able to be specific to some extent here at least enough to say he is selling "Acidus Novis". He does credit Millard Longman, but doesn't say he has permission to repackage and sell it.

Why am I not surprised.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Well, this sounds totally unethical.

Aside from that, in the FAQ, question 6 says, “Can I buy this anywhere else? No. This is the only place in the world you will be able to buy The Revelation Technique.”

If the Revelation Technique is actually Millard Longman’s Acidus Novus, then isn’t this statement a fraudulent misrepresentation?

Does Millard know about this?

Who is this guy, anyways?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Elliott wrote:

Quote:
If the Revelation Technique is actually Millard Longman’s Acidus Novus, then isn’t this statement a fraudulent misrepresentation?

Sure sounds like it! (Although I'd call it a 'fraudulent representation,' because if it was a 'fraudulent misrepresentation', wouldn't that make it true? Smile )

Bob
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
In my assessment, if this is what it sounds like, it is completely unethical and something needs to be done about it...soon!

Regards,
Mike
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 14:01, ElliottB wrote:
Well, this sounds totally unethical.

Aside from that, in the FAQ, question 6 says, “Can I buy this anywhere else? No. This is the only place in the world you will be able to buy The Revelation Technique.”

Does Millard know about this?

Who is this guy, anyways?

I think he probably adds "great presentation tips" to make it "the revelation technique"... Lol.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
It seems unlikely (although I can tell from the “LOL” that you definitely agree.)

I don’t think it is a coincidence that the person selling the revelation technique does not provide his name, and that the supposed testimonials are all anonymous. It gives the impression that the seller knows he is doing something wrong on several fronts, but wants to make a quick buck and not be held accountable.

Firstly, he is selling Millard’s technique without permission.

Secondly, he is ripping of consumers who, may already know Acidus Novus, and are led to believe they are purchasing something else. This misrepresentation is doubly enforced by calling Acidus Novus something else, and claiming that it is not available anywhere else.

The fact that he credits Millard in the video makes things even more egregious. It shows that it is not some independent invention. It proves that he knows that it is Millard’s technique that he is selling without permission and renaming to fool potential consumers.
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1365 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
I say this with all the respect in the world...It was clear as day what it was right from the very start.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Revelation technique (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL