The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Your Best Performance on Stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Though I don't do a hyp act (but who knows what I might be doing down the road) I can speak a bit about performance. The problem with performing is its inherent ephemeral nature. Once you do it, it's gone. When I was working the sideshow in Coney Island we sometimes do fifteen shows a day. If one show went poorly, you learned not let it get to you because there was another show coming up in a few minutes. And if you had a great show, you learned not to fall in love with that experience because there was another show coming up in a few minutes.

This kind of mindset if vital whether you do several shows a year or several hundred. All you can do is learn from every performance you do (videoing as many of your shows as possible is great. And the ability to objectively analyze yourself on video is an important skill.)

A good performance can be the result of many factors, and some of them will be factors over which you have no control. The same can be said for a bad performance. So I guess the best thing to focus on is not whether a performance is good or bad, but what can learned from each performance so that you can consistently improve the quality of your performances.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well I for one am happy I dragged him in.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Quote:
On 2010-07-01 00:43, Todd Robbins wrote:
Though I don't do a hyp act (but who knows what I might be doing down the road) I can speak a bit about performance. The problem with performing is its inherent ephemeral nature. Once you do it, it's gone. When I was working the sideshow in Coney Island we sometimes do fifteen shows a day. If one show went poorly, you learned not let it get to you because there was another show coming up in a few minutes. And if you had a great show, you learned not to fall in love with that experience because there was another show coming up in a few minutes.

This kind of mindset if vital whether you do several shows a year or several hundred. All you can do is learn from every performance you do (videoing as many of your shows as possible is great. And the ability to objectively analyze yourself on video is an important skill.)

A good performance can be the result of many factors, and some of them will be factors over which you have no control. The same can be said for a bad performance. So I guess the best thing to focus on is not whether a performance is good or bad, but what can learned from each performance so that you can consistently improve the quality of your performances.

Great insight and wisdom in Todd's post.

In the late 60s I was doing night clubs in Canada. In one multi-month booking I was required to do three shows on Saturday night/early Sunday morning. The first two shows would usually go well but the third was uniformly a disaster and a waste of time as far as audience reaction was concerned.

Of course the question arose: was it me...or them? Well, after several weeks of the same experience I decided it was them...and there was nothing that I or any of the other performers could do about it.
Doc Regal
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Doc Regal
Perhaps that "waste of time" was an overload that simply lead to fatigue, exhaustion or burnout. Energy depletion seems likely having to be "on" for three-in-a-row performances. If not, it may have been the monotonous and repetitious nature of your hypnotic routine. How often were you able to vary the show? Did the sequences follow the same order every time? Spontaneity is challenging when flow is preordained.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Spoken like someone who has never set foot on a stage.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Sounds like ( and I am only going by the limited info in the post)that the time of the performance could have been a factor. If the dud shows were always on the Sunday Morning.

I only say that because there seemed to be a pattern. Although I agree generally you can do the best show of your life one night and the worst the next. You have no way of knowing what an audience will be like sometimes.

Over here though I could after a while predict from city to city how a show would go down most of the times. The further up north the harder the show. And my mentor always told me to avoid senior military. Of course I ignored hos advice and found out the hard way. Boy was he right.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There are such things as bad audiences. I would imagine that the audience for this very late show on a Saturday night was VERY different than the early shows.

Quote:
On 2010-07-01 14:05, Doc Regal wrote:
Perhaps that "waste of time" was an overload that simply lead to fatigue, exhaustion or burnout. Energy depletion seems likely having to be "on" for three-in-a-row performances. If not, it may have been the monotonous and repetitious nature of your hypnotic routine. How often were you able to vary the show? Did the sequences follow the same order every time? Spontaneity is challenging when flow is preordained.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
More drunk probably..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Your Best Performance on Stage (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL