The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear...business card or other (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
346 Posts

Profile of TKE
In a strolling situation..

Do you think its more practical to use your business cards for a CT or bring out a small blank paper?

From the spectators point of view I feel a business card is more ordinary.

Anyway, for those that do not use a business card, what type of stock works best for you?
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
I never understand why someone would tear up their own business card? Totally devalues it!

Business card... at very worst, do a peek! Otherwise, I would use blank card OR ask to do with with theirs.

Even if you use their business card, I would still do a peek over tearing it up.

Col.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 04:58, Colin wrote:
...I would still do a peek over tearing it up.

Right!!!
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I only use credit card for CT

From the spectators point of view I feel a credit card is more ordinary.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
486 Posts

Profile of Roy
Use whatever as long at it looks that writing stuff down is not too relevant.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I ONLY use my BC for revelations or predictions

blank stock ( BC size) for peeks

Just paper for my IDS

Tearing BC is a bad image
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I think some times you may want to use a business card for continuity. Sometimes you need to write something on a business card for the particular effect and it may seem suspicious if you keep changing types of paper for every effect. I think this is an individual choice depending on your venue and repetoir but I see nothing wrong with doing the CT with a business card, especially if you use business cards for other effects.

Steve
Chester Sass
View Profile
Loyal user
Check out my book 120% CHESTOSTERONE
246 Posts

Profile of Chester Sass
I totaly agree with Steve.
It depends on what you are doing. If you like to work impromptu like I do OF COURSE you use your business card, because I never carry any blank cards with me.
When I perform stage I use blank cards because they are bigger and there is much more space to write on.
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with BCs. They are sooooo normal and nearly everybody has one. I would never use THEIR BC and rip them......that's absolutely rude and disrespecting.
Peeking is also a very nice way but who cares? Is there really a difference if I rip or crease my card? In both ways I can't hand them out anymore!

So go with your favorite method kill your BCs.
Unless a spec goes:"Oh man, why didn't you use blank cards? You have to take care of your BCs!" :-D
Author of "120% Chestosterone"
NOW AVAILABLE FROM YOUR DEALER OF TRUST!

Chester
here2009
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of here2009
I agree that tearing a business card is strange. However, if you take out a small pad and write some things down before going into CT, you will take some heat off the pieces of paper.
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Personally, I've been performing Judah's Lighting Strikes Thrice for YEARS with not one, but THREE business cards that get torn in half. And I've never had anybody make a comment about tearing the cards - EXCEPT when I use "blank" biz cards.

People don't usually see blank business cards and they are curious to some people. I'd rather use blank ones, but I can see how they might be perceived as suspect.

I hand one to the participant, and say, "Have you seen my card?" Once they see the blank side they immediately turn it over ... and just for a second there's a look on their face which tells you the blank-on-blank card hasn't registered yet, then - and it happens every time - they'll turn the card "back" over to see the other side once again!

Just my two cents, but I don't think anybody gives it a second thought whether you tear your card or not. But I agree it would be bad form to destroy theirs.

Of course, if you had a card like Joel Bauer, that would be a different story!

Oscar
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Center Tear?

What's that?

Please PM if you don't want to reveal too much in this area of the forum...
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 12:05, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Center Tear?

What's that?

Please PM if you don't want to reveal too much in this area of the forum...

That made me laugh. Shukran
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
My BC had us too think and has finish on both sides, it is impossible to tear quickly enough to use for a CT. I normally don't leave the house without a small stack of precut and folded index cards but worse case I will use my business cards for something like desire or sneak thief.
Hood
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Hood
As most have said if I only have business cards I use a peek because then you give them a souvenir or as I do always carry around a small pad or put some paper in your wallet to always have.
powerwords
View Profile
New user
Indonesia
73 Posts

Profile of powerwords
I use whatever available for writing on the table. I don't do CT on BC because it looks suspicious to spectator.

The idea is to p**k and get the info. I use any method possible to do it. As long as what I do looks natural to spectator and I have good enough reason to do it.

I think it's not only about what we use, but how and when we use it.

I use BC for revelation and the spectator can keep it.
BE GOOD, if you can't then BE CAREFUL, if it's hard then BE BAD!!!
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
346 Posts

Profile of TKE
After consideration I'm probably going to use some blank slips of paper.

I'll probably order Osterlinds precut stock that he has on his site.

Anyone use these?
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
Why use modern mentalists old methods? When here is nothing better then it is ok, but here are better methods, read Busch, Al Mann, Cassidy, Hilford, Longman, Bellon... and you don`t need the ct.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Quote:
On 2010-06-21 11:12, TKE wrote:
After consideration I'm probably going to use some blank slips of paper.

I'll probably order Osterlinds precut stock that he has on his site.

Anyone use these?
Excellent paper. Perfect size, opaque and tears easily. If you can get Osterlind's Perfect Center Tear there is great work on this old and outdated(LOL) tool.

Steve
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
@ Steve Suss
Fine for me when you use the ct, that leaves the better and logical methods for me.
And tell me, when the ct is so good, why performers have developed other methods?
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 09:29, Chester Sass wrote:
I totaly agree with Steve.

As do I.

These days, given a choice, I'll do a p**k. I happen to have a lot of success with the "Number Divination" approach used by Banachek in his Psi Series (although I don't use my palm).

I love using business cards for effects and it's incongruous to use BC, use BC, use BC, then suddenly switch to paper (unless the paper has your name all over it too).

Gideon,
New is not superior to old in all cases. Many of the modern techniques represent great strides in the art but they will not fit every situation or every performer. This cannot be overstressed. You can force a method into an effect but it's better if you carefully fit the method to the effect you wish.

Lem
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear...business card or other (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL