The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear...business card or other (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
Nobody can put me down today, Germany has won!!!!!!!!!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-23 16:10, JAlenS wrote:
No one ever talks Rugby EVER. Unless you're in New Zealand where everybody breathes Rugby.

Another failed attempt at dry humor at the magic Café - Fail on me Smile

I actually like soccer more playing than watching. I suppose there are some CTs in soccer too - mostly on the shins Smile

I also like playing more than watching, but alas for the twelve years I've been doing so just serve to confirm the suspicion that I'll never make it as a pro. Smile
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2010-06-23 14:42, magicFreak2 wrote:

It just sickens me to see someone such as PsiDroid or Parmenion trying to take someone else apart by using flawed grammar and logic. It's pathetically hypocritical and yet simultaneously ironic.

really ?? then sympathy for sympathy I can tell you it just sickens me that a teenager like you is here in the cafè to discuss with pros like joe zabel:

speaking of which: why didn't you go after mr.zabel for "putting down" gideon ??

I answer for you: because you know mr.Zabel is a knowledgeable man and an accomplished reader and deep inside YOU know HE IS RIGHT:
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-23 20:08, PsiDroid wrote:
Quote:

It just sickens me to see someone such as PsiDroid or Parmenion trying to take someone else apart by using flawed grammar and logic. It's pathetically hypocritical and yet simultaneously ironic.

really ?? then sympathy for sympathy I can tell you it just sickens me that a teenager like you is here in the cafè to discuss with pros like joe zabel:

speaking of which: why didn't you go after mr.zabel for "putting down" gideon ??

I answer for you: because you know mr.Zabel is a knowledgeable man and an accomplished reader and deep inside YOU know HE IS RIGHT:

No, actually I didn't see a good reason to use my time responding to someone, right though he be, presented his case with good grammar and clarity, and didn't end all his sentences with commas.

I will also decline to run through your pathetic excuse for a post because it's 9:16 here and I am hitting the sack.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
Quote:

No, actually I didn't see a good reason to use my time responding to someone, right though he be, presented his case with good grammar and clarity, and didn't end all his sentences with colons.

I will also decline to run through your pathetic excuse for a post because it's 9:16 here and I am hitting the sack.
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
Quote:
...I can tell you it just sickens me that a teenager like you is here in the cafè to discuss with pros like joe zabel:

You mean teenagers have not the right to say here anything? I have read the rules here in for the Café, I can`t find that point.
But by your logic I have the freedom to write here, I over 40 and I in mentalism for over 20 years. I have seen, read and tried in mentalism very much
By the way, I allways talk with teenagers, they maybe not knowledgable but also not so "OLDMINDED". Here is freshness in theyr thoughts and you should never forgot you too was an teenager and maybe talked to the pros.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I like speak with teenager but not with teenager trou du cul, it' useless.
His arguments are our English grammar is bad...
Really !?...................
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-24 10:01, parmenion wrote:
I like speak with teenager but not with teenager trou du cul, it' useless.
His arguments are our English grammar is bad...
Really !?...................

Well your French is equally bad.. Calling people an @s$hole (I think I got that right) on a public forum. I presumed that this is an English forum (check TOS).

If you can't manage logic, just revert to French profanities. Good move.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
OK... I'll try my hand (hopefully in understandable english!)...

Joe Zabel knows what he is talking about. And surely knows more than a rough 70% of the Cafè users (probably myself included)... Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
70% is a very conservative estimate. And I definitely include myself as somebody he knows more than. Fortunately, I agreed with him 100% on this one.
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
LOTH and Lem are being very kind by attributing such a large percentage of knowledge to me. Many of the mentalists like them who post on the Magic Café are extremely knowledgable and prolific as well as very generous with their advice and insights. Much can be learned on this forum from studying the postings of the experienced practioners who have contributed much over the years. A little searching on this site will reveal a lot of useful information for both the beginners and the "oldminded."

Careful study and practice will yield a lot of progress in this craft. Fortunately, much of the necessary information is here for the taking to those wise enough to seek it out.

There is no room for ignorance in our craft when extensive resources exist both online and offline.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
@ mysticz

Your last post sounds different then other in this thread, in German we say the sound makes the musik. Knowledge is no excuse for bad behavior.
With most in your last post I can agree, Ted Lesley once said to me in mentalism you can`t buy your knowledge, you must read.
He was absolutly right! Mentalism is not for people that to lazy to read. But on the other side, when they to lazy is fine for me, I read and discover the hidden gems.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Me thinks this thread would be better locked...
Shizentai
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Shizentai
I never tear up my business cards. But my specators always do so after my performance Smile
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Can we please call it the DOWNTOWN TEAR?
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Gideon, three observations:

1. Newer methods are not, by default, better. You seem to assert that peeks are objectively better than center tears, but offer no proof, per se. Indeed, the list of authors you cite all use the center tear so far as I'm aware. To ask why better techniques are needed if the center tear was fine is begging the question. Your logic is as poor as your English.

2. I disagree with your assessment on purely technical grounds. It is much easier to hide one action behind another action than it is to hide an action behind nothing at all. If you are doing something when you should be at rest, the tension shows. I use peeks occasionally, but very few can be done as openly as a center tear. With, say, Busch's Billet, you have the policeman's badge display of the billet, which I find very odd, and the futzing taking place behind the scenes that is not visible, but, I believe, perceptible.

3. While magician's guilt is the bane of the mentalist, a little can be healthy. Following the Vernon maxim "How do you get into it; how do you get out of it", is vitally necessary in determining the best technique to use in a given scenario. Why might you use a peek instead of a center tear? Or a switch and read instead of a peek?
Chester Sass
View Profile
Loyal user
Check out my book 120% CHESTOSTERONE
246 Posts

Profile of Chester Sass
In my opinion the whole discussion is nonsense.
There is no good or bad, no better or worse! EVERY technique that serves your needs INVISIBLY is the right technique.
I use both techniques......depending on my mood I use the CT or Peek. If your actions are motivated and flawless you are using the right technique, no matter what you use.

And now go out and kill some trees! ;-)
Author of "120% Chestosterone"
NOW AVAILABLE FROM YOUR DEALER OF TRUST!

Chester
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Definition of Center Tear; Center Tear is technique used by magicians in Mentalism routines for secretly reading a message written on a piece of paper. It was most likely created in the 19th century by a medium or psychic worker.

Since a business card is not a piece of paper I would think that a center tear given the above definition wouldn't be appropriate?

Excerpt from magicpedia; In Jinx #74 (January, 1940, page 495), Annemann introduces a Dunninger center tear trick as follows "Back in Jinx No. 6 I used this principle with a torn out piece of newspaper. Previous to that, I supplied Thayer's Trick of the Month Club with the effect as eventually made quite popular by Mogul. Previous to that Joe Ovette sold the idea in a slightly different form via the mss. route. Previous to that Martin Sunshine used it for private readings. And Martin told me subsequent to all of the above that he had learned it from Dunninger."

It seems that according to the above the paper was a secondary thought. Just like billets is to be of no importance. To use special paper would negate this view.

I would suggest a pad of postit notes or some similar pad that is in common use.

Btw. If you do choose to use the postits be sure to check our Richard Osterlind's gimmick using them.

Cheers.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Chester, "if your actions are motivated"...suggests the very thing I refer to. If, in the course of a routine, I want to return the billet to the spec, I'm not going to use a center tear. By the same token, if I'm doing a living and dead test where billets are destroyed, the center tear is natural. The issue is one of gestalt. What is the overall picture received by the audience. I rely on more than my mood to routine my effects...
Chester Sass
View Profile
Loyal user
Check out my book 120% CHESTOSTERONE
246 Posts

Profile of Chester Sass
@JohnWells: WORD!!!! Smile
Author of "120% Chestosterone"
NOW AVAILABLE FROM YOUR DEALER OF TRUST!

Chester
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear...business card or other (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL