The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Thoughts So Far" by Kennedy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
This book is a tremendous waste of paper. I mean that literally. Approximately 100 of its pages are blank or practically blank!

Each effect is given its own chapter. The first page of each of these chapters is a page blank, but for the name of the effect. This is then followed by a blank page then(finally) a discussion of the effect followed by yet another blank page!

For example, let's take a look at section of the book starting at page 81.

Page 81: blank but for the name of the effect
Page 82: blank
Page 83: discussion of effect
Page 84: blank but for a single line of credits at the top of the page
Page 85: title page for the next effect/chapter
Page 86: blank

So, in 6 pages you get about one page worth of material. Actually less, when you take into account the large typeface and generous margins.

So what we have here is a 240 page book with material that probably could have been fit into about 1/3 the number of pages. Why would someone pad out a book like this? Let's give the author the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to aesthetic choice rather than conscious deception (which I'm sure we can all agree should be restricted to performance).

The main reason I bought this book was for the effect "Open Transmission" in which a spectator duplicates another spectator's drawing. It is an elaboration of Morley Budden's "Post-It Parapsychology" from SYZYGY #89. Kennedy had generously described "Open Transmision" on his web site but here he goes into more detail regarding the subtleties involved. It's a terrific effect and makes very clever use of a Banachek technique to help obscure the method. This effect should kill, especially when done for new age types who believe in astral projection.

I didn't get much else out of the book, finding many of the effects to be derivative and/or dependent on st****s. I must concede, however, that the obvious padding of the book may have biased me against it from the start. It typically sells for $70. At that price, I can't recommend it.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Very insightful review, thanks for the warning about the blank pages!
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Mind Guerrilla I own this book and agree with your review. It is the only magic book I have ever considered throwing into the rubbish bin!

Jonathan
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Wow, this book is truly horrible! Stay away...is this representative of all of Kennedy's products?

Regards,
Mike
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2010-07-09 22:44, insight wrote:
Wow, this book is truly horrible! Stay away...is this representative of all of Kennedy's products?

Regards,
Mike

Very guerrillaful review. Smile
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Hey, it's the truth...and sometimes, the truth hurts!

Regards,
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Thoughts So Far" by Kennedy (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL