The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Profit margins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Hey everyone,

I’m doing some research on convenience stores and grocery stores in America.

One of things I have been unable to find deals with profit margins. Probably searching in the wrong places so I’m looking for some help from anybody who knows what is the best profit margin in the both these different types of stores (guessing greeting cards) and what that profit margin is?

I would also be curious as to what a store owner would consider a poor profit margin, middle of the road, and, obviously a tremendous profit margin.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Try to look at the annual reports on the grocery chain's websites. Those annual reports are also called 10-Ks.

Regards,
Mike
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Forget the Internet. Go to the nearest college library and talk to the reference librarian.

The reference librarian is your friend.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Grocery stores have a small profit margain as they count on volume. However Convience stores are a different matter altogether. From what I remember I believe bottom line (net profit) for Grocery Stores profit at the end of the year is around 3 or 4 persent of total volume.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Let’s take the easy part first: what’s the typical or profile gross
margin for supermarkets? There’s a wonderful site called Bizstats
which profiles sectors of business from published reports and
government data:
Bizstats
Home page
http://www.bizstats.com/

According to their retail profiles for "grocery and beverage stores"
any store in the $15-$20 million range, the gross margins are 25.6%
(net margins are 6%).

If you check the grocery store sales for leading chains, you’ll find
from Supermarket News that this is the range for large chains such as
Kroger’s, Albertson’s or Safeway:
Supermarket News
"SN’s Top 75" (2002)
http://www.supermarketnews.com/sntop75.htm

If you look at earnings for Albertson’s or Kroger EBITDA (earnings
before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) you’ll find
that these net margins are good. Kroger reports net margins of 7.6%
and Albertson’s shows 5.1%. However, one must be aware that both
companies operate other retail stores, including pharmacies, gas
stations, convenience stores and even jewelry stores:
Kroger
"Financial Information" (2001)
http://www.kroger.com/Binary2/sec6a,2.pdf

Albertsons
"Annual Report" (2002)
http://www.albertsons.com/

You’ll also find the conclusion on net margins supported by this
McKinsey report on retail stores, which notes a supermarket target of
6% for one chain:
McKinsey & Co.
"Competing in a Value Driven World" (February, 2003)
http://www.mckinsey.com/practices/retail......orld.pdf
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
It sounds to me as if the original poster isn't looking for overall profit margins. Rather, it appears that he's interested in profit margins for specific product lines, and wants to know which product line generates the highest margin.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Cup of coffee?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That info is also available.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I still believe that for a pure grocery store (super market) 6 or 7% seems way to high as a net profit bottom line. If my memory serves me correct Weiss super markets a small chain in Pa. that has around 110 stores used to operate in the 1980s at I believe 4% and were one of the nations leadinig net profit percentage for grocery stores.

Probably highest markup in grocery stores is produce initally but there is a large amount of spoilage so if you have a great produce manager you will do well. Usually the highest markup items are along the wall not in the aisles.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I know baked goods is pretty low on the profit pole while hard goods are higher profit.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I thought the guy was serious about doing research, which does not consist in gathering a few figures from the Internet.

If the OP is working on something academic, like a term paper or bachelor's or master's thesis, he needs to go see the reference librarian.

If he just wants some quick, reliable information, he should get on the phone (rather than posting a thread in a magic forum) and call up a business professor at the nearest college--preferably one with expertise in retail. These people earn their living with knowing this stuff, and they are typically very flattered when someone calls them up asking for some help. Especially if you are from the media. Especially big time media like CNN or Time or Newsweek.

Wait! I'm losing my train of thought....

What was the question?

All I know is that the answer is in the library--cross-referenced, peer-reviewed, verifiable, and non-biased. (I mean, would anyone in their right mind check out BP's website for accurate information?) A good reference librarian can take you by the hand and walk you to the right place and get the exact information needed in just a few minutes. The whole trip to the library would probably take less than an hour.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I bought some greeting cards for two grand with a retail value of 150 grand. Go figure.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
I still believe that for a pure grocery store (super market) 6 or 7% seems way to high as a net profit bottom line. If my memory serves me correct Weiss super markets a small chain in Pa. that has around 110 stores used to operate in the 1980s at I believe 4% and were one of the nations leadinig net profit percentage for grocery stores.

Agreed. I seem to recall hearing (a fair while ago) 3% net profit for Tesco (UK).
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Profit margins? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL