The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Epic Boards (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Magician,

When I click on the link, I get a message that says "This video is private."
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
There are many answers in Mental Epic Compendium to questions above. One of the great things about Mental Epic Compendium are the various methods that do away with using the standard card force. If you do any type of Mental Epic you need to read this book.
Paul
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Paul,

I have not had a chance to pick up the book yet, will do soon.

Just curious, did my ungimmicked board/pad/index card work get a mention?

Tony
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I used in the past for stage just a normal piece of cardboard and my own handling.

I don't like Mental Epic Boards.They look as nothing on earth. Just as a magic prop.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I just use an index card and do it up close and personal...i but I don't work the stage...

can certainly understand those that do though for visability...

and buy tony's work on it, his technique is great...
I've asked to be banned
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Iain:

Thank you, but it is out of print, although some dealers may still have copies.

I do a lot more intimate gatherings and use a steno pad.

Tony
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1609 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Trickshop has a download called EpiCard.
If you do away with the wine glasses;the entire set-up can be carried around in your pocket.
I love it.
Tricky Ricky
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3896 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I use a pocket sized mental epic board built by a fellow in Israel. Very classy looking: metal and magnets. Got it from eBay. Each unit is hand done and it performs perfectly.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
westo
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
475 Posts

Profile of westo
Good to know David, just waiting on mine to arrive.
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek' and 'The Westo Dump'
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
3 dimensional telepathy pretty well takes care of the whole matter. Thank you Mr Cassidy.
westo
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
475 Posts

Profile of westo
For those who have to 'force' one thing, does anyone use something other than a card force? I am thinking of changing from that.
espresto
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of espresto
I agree with Tricky Ricky. I love Epicard. It is visual, fun and it ends clean. I hand out the predictions at the end as momentos.
Deano88
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincolnshire UK
376 Posts

Profile of Deano88
I have just recently purchased Mental Epic Pad by Marc Oberon , it is just the dvd with the special something included, and you have to contrust it yourself which is not a problem and something iam looking forward to doing, I like the idea its simple yet effective, yes it does reguire a force, but that's not too much of an issue
Quote:
On 2011-04-04 12:48, westo wrote:
For those who have to 'force' one thing, does anyone use something other than a card force? I am thinking of changing from that.

it does include a book test to derive a word, but I prefer other book tests to do this than the example given, but is different to the forcing of a card , if you reveal correctly there should not be an issue with it being a force.

The Dvd is cheap and so is contruction so anyone intereested in the mental epic routine and not wanting to spend a great deal I would recommend this.
westo
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
475 Posts

Profile of westo
That's interesting Deano88, May I ask how small could you make this Pad?
Deano88
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincolnshire UK
376 Posts

Profile of Deano88
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 04:55, westo wrote:
That's interesting Deano88, May I ask how small could you make this Pad?

Personally think it is best suited for a stand up/stage situation, not for close up if that was what you were thinking, they do show a construction for a mini version and an in between version , I think maybe the smallest I would go with is A4ish so maybe would be ok for some close up situations. anyone that has this what do you think?

Dean
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2084 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2010-06-22 13:31, Eric Samuels wrote:

I also love a no-prop routine, specifically Richard Osterlind's beautiful handling using nothing but regular index cards.

This is the most elegant presentation, IMHO, of Mental Epic. The effect is called "Artificial Intelligence" and can be found in Richard's book, "Mystique". Just sensational.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
IMO any of the non-prop routines (e.g., Epicard, etc.) offer several advantages over those relying on a "board." Not only are they "propless" -- a significant advantage in itself -- but can easily be adapted for either close-up or stage performance.
Dick Christian
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3852 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Following the discussions here and elsewhere already some time I like to add my opinion: in general I’m not against the epic board, it’s a matter of context and circumstances. For larger audiences it might be still a good prop producing a quick and visual effect. Of course there are many other excellent methods and routines using the principle of OA (or behind…). Paul Romhany’s “Mental Epic Compendium” is a marvelous book which everybody interested in this theme should have read.
Concerning specific boards Joe Lefler’s “Supreme Slate of Mind” is indeed a very good prop; also “Astor’s Epic” is quite good although looking - for my taste - to much like a magic prop. But you can change that as I’ve done it: remove the “silver decoration” and glue a big piece of white board foil on the back. You end up with a handy white board, both sides are usable, one side is divided in 6 squares which makes sense concerning one of your routines. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
AndrewJ
View Profile
New user
Travis County, TX
70 Posts

Profile of AndrewJ
Quote:
remove the “silver decoration” and glue a big piece of white board foil on the back. You end up with a handy white board, both sides are usable, one side is divided in 6 squares which makes sense concerning one of your routines. Jan
I recently purchased an old blackboard version which I can not identify. It was already built with a large slate on the back and six small ones on the front.

I found an inexpensive tabletop easel at Hobby Lobby. The back leg wasn't heavy enough to stop from tipping forward, but that took only a one dollar stick of rebar and some leftover two-part brown epoxy.

So, when I do perform, I have the perfect way to stand it up with the "big" slate toward the crowd. The only thing that feels less than natural is what to write on it.
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
422 Posts

Profile of minty
I used to use the Mikame board, and never had a problem with anyone questioning why I was using the prop. However, I've since discovered Richard Osterlind's Ultra Board, and cannot imagine using anything else now. I think the handling (with a little practice) is pretty easy. I also love using the board for any predictions in front of a medium-size audience (without using the cards or bulldog clips). The board comes across as completely innocent (which it is really).

Both the Ultra Board and the Epitome Board are available again on Jim and Richard's website: http://osterlindmysteries.com You can also buy just an upgrade kit containing the Epitome Board instructions if you already have a blackboard. (It's also possible to see the Ultra Board instructions on Richard's Mind Mysteries (Too) volume 5 DVD). However, the blackboard they sell is great quality and worth forking out for the complete package imho.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Epic Boards (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL