The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Epic Boards (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I don't use a mental epic board, but do enjoy R. Shane's portents for a three stage prediction. The theme of the routine (the end of the world) is becoming more and more suitable as the press spreads fear.
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Mental Epic Compendium looks at ways to get rid of the card force - there are incredible ideas in that book from some of the greatest thinkers in our business. Check it out at http://www.extrememagicmakeover.com

For the past few years I've been quietly working away on a brand new Mental Epic board - it's almost there - the look of it is very different and I think once it comes on the market you'll think 'damn that makes sense'. This is what happens when you perform something for over 30 years!! I started doing Mental Epic when I was 13 and at 43 I'm still doing it in my professional act.

I am so proud of the book on Mental Epic - for anybody who performs this the book will change the way you think about it - and make it so much stronger.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
At last! I got my copy of Paul's wonderful Compendium and I have to say that it is one of the best new contributions I've seen. Highly recommended even if you don't do an Epic routine. The thinking shown by the many contributors is outstanding!

Thanks, Paul, for putting this together and making it available to the fraternity.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
WOW!! Thank you Bob - coming from you that means A LOT!! So glad you finally got your copy - I agree, there is so much more in here than just Mental Epic. While I was putting this book together, I will say it changed the way I perform my mentalism act!! There are so many powerful routines in here, as well as thinking behind the reason for doing things that you can apply this to different areas of mentalism.

I now perform Mental Epic close-up (business cards) and in all my corporate and mentalism shows.

I can hardly wait to announce my new Mental Epic board ... I'm bursting with excitement .... Smile

JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3854 Posts

Profile of JanForster
If you bring three people up on stage you can perform Mental Epic also there using just 3 business cards. I do so. And yes (again), your book is wonderful! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Just got another great email today from another person I have a lot of respect for in our business. Charles Gauci - he just got his books and said, "Received your book. I think this compendium is invaluable to anyone interested in Mental Epic. Congratulations, This book is a must have for anyone seriously into mental effects."
I just so happy this is being well received - makes the two years working on it worthwhile.

Jan - would like to hear about your routine - maybe for Volume 2 Smile

Regards
Paul

JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3854 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2011-08-13 21:59, comedy wrote:
Jan - would like to hear about your routine - maybe for Volume 2 Smile
Regards
Paul

Paul, I'll have it with me for mindvention and will describe it in English therefore soon. You can get it of course Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2220 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Osterlind's Epitome Board has been re-released. In the ad-copy on his site, it says, "Like the Ultra Board, the Epitome Board can be used for a single, double or triple forecast. You can use it like a stage-sized Swami!" I am totally unfamiliar with the board, would anyone care to describe a routine in which the board could be used that way?

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I recently bought one of Richard's new Mental Epic boards, Tried it out last night at a rehearsal for a New Years show and it worked great. It's not completely examinable if you are in to that but using it was a dream.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
zmg013
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of zmg013
Try Astors board. Works a little different from the other no force boards. Do a google search for the video. I like it.
kennycanary
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of kennycanary
I bought Osterlind's Ultra Board and have never had the confidence to use it in public because I find the board very heavy and difficult to manipulate with one hand. Anyone got any tips?
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
571 Posts

Profile of Circusman
I see that this old thread has been opened up again, so I just thought I'd add what I use - and love it !

The Astor Epic.

Bobby.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1731 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I bought the Astor Epic about five years ago, but within two months it's mechanism had slipped off track, and the device became unusable. I read where the props is now improved, but decided to not risk it again.

I have since bought Joe Porper's "All Seeing Eye" device: it is ideal for parlor sized performances, and the mechanism will be very durable. It is one of my best props. (Yes, I have other props!)

George
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2014, kennycanary wrote:
I bought Osterlind's Ultra Board and have never had the confidence to use it in public because I find the board very heavy and difficult to manipulate with one hand. Anyone got any tips?

Use two hands. (or exercise more)
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
When I was young I had a close-up Mental Epic, and it was phenomenal.

Today, I perform Bob Cassidy's Fourth Dimsensional Telepathy. No force. No board. Pure amazement.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3854 Posts

Profile of JanForster
You can not compare... 4DT is mind reading, the EPIC tends towards predictions... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3896 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2014, JanForster wrote:
You can not compare... 4DT is mind reading, the EPIC tends towards predictions... Jan

I agree. They can be completely different applications. Both 4DT and the Epic are potential show stoppers.

Another often overlooked option -- particularly for parlour and close-up -- is Osterlind's Artificial Intelligence. I use this a lot because it's very bare bones: just three index cards and a pen. I really think it's one of his top contributions. Simple to perform and very strong.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3854 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Or see my "Colored Epic" in my mindvention lectures notes 2011 Smile... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
RichardAwesome
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of RichardAwesome
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2010, Rocketeer wrote:
I've never done Mental Epic. I have a problem with the effect. What is the rationale for the board? I mean in laymen's terms. A fair number of (audience pleasing) effects, ironically are more elaborate than they have to be. That's why I like Outlaw book tests. The don't feel, look or perform as book tests.

Do you see what I'm driving at? How do you (if you bother to do so) explain why you're using that funky three part board? Do you have a backstory for it? Did Rhine use it in his research (according to your story)? Or am I guilty of overthinking the whole thing? Am I running when nobody is chasing me?

I'm very interested in the thoughts and experiences of people who successfully use this old chestnut. And does anyone see a parallel with Astor Mental? Maybe I'm reaching on this one.

The floor is open.

I'm only four years late to this party....but I can't rationalize it either. With slates (even gimmickry ones) I'm able to use the slate for something else later.

I have the Astor mental epic and I hate it. I got it deeply discounted and thought maybe I could fiddle with it and make something out of it. Also toyed with the idea of a routine where I accidentally "reveal" the method and then produce another prediction that's much more of a fooler... I tried it for some magician pals and they giggled and applauded,, then told me I was an idiot to do that in front of laymen.

Just looks too gimmicky...people go..."oh, the board does all the work." Even the dullest and slowest witted layperson in the world would think same...
bobgill
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of bobgill
Do yourself a favour and check out Pro Epic by John Breeds. A leap forward in Mental Epic that wil leave you laughing at the tiny writing surface and magic-prop appearance of your grandpa's Mental Epic boards. This one is hand-made by John Breeds (if you recognise the name he invented the now classic Visible Magic Painting) and every one of those lucky few who've seen it is full of praise. www.johnbreeds.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Epic Boards (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL