The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » The Night for Magic on AGT!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr.Dennis
View Profile
New user
Louisville Kentucky
81 Posts

Profile of Mr.Dennis
Will
By far the best Origami presentation I have ever seen.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Thank you Mr. Dennis.

Eshla, you need to check your facts. You are a disgrace to all Britons. I served and fought alongside many brave British Soldiers, in both Afghanistan and Iraq. For you to consider all Soldiers as mercinaries is plain ridiculous, and proves your complete and total ignorance. I have so much to say to you but I will not waste my time. I do encourage others on this forum to boycott you. You are the typical bandwagon America hater who only wants to tell their side of the story, but has no interest in listening to reason.

You encompass all that this quote conveys
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 09:43, Eshla wrote:
I find it somewhat telling that you must refer to a war that happened over 60 years ago in order to find a time when the American army did something good for the world. And even at the time there was a large percentage of American's on the right wing who wanted to join in on the German side.

By the way, I describe you as a mercinary because to the best of my knowledge a mercinary is a person who fights (generally in war) for money. That also seems to be the definition of a soldier, and the fact that the employers of the soldier are a government make it of little differance. Its not as if the American government actually choose good wars to fight, its not as if they do it selflessly and fight wars for the good of all mankind.

I am from a country that has been hurt by the US military (atleast in my lifetime). We sadly joined them in various wars, and lost billions of pounds and hundreds of lives over the matter. For this I can only blaim bad politics, and ofcourse our military.

Understand that it is not just the US military I dislike, it is all violent forces that assemble to fight something for the wrong reasons. So this would include our army too. Sadly I also have the belief (and I know that I am in the minority here) that if a person agrees to fight for that unjust force, in return for payment, then they themselves are morally damaged by the crimes of the military as a whole. In the same way the assassin is guilty of unjust killings he is paid to do. And you cannot defend assassins by saying that 60 years ago, one of them tried to kill Hitler. (which I would actually respect)

I do not give standing ovations easily. I don't understand people who do. When I met the prime minister I did not stand, because I did not have respect for him and he had not impressed me in his job. (hence low approval ratings)

Performance wise playing off your military slant is a good idea, as in America they seem to love that. But it is not something I could do and feel comfortable with. I'd never know if they loved me for my magic or my uniform - like not knowing if she loves you for your money or your personality.

I'm strange like that. But I cannot, and do not wish to, deny the fact that your performance was incredibly good and entertaining.

Tom
xx

I really truly have avoided posting on your comments...

Everything you write shows your lack of maturity...

I understand you have conditions that contribute to your behaviour, attitude, etc...

I know several people with those same conditions -- they are still fundamentally "good people"...

You my friend are just an imature little kid who flexes his muscle and lack of any REAL life experience on a magic forum.

Tired of the BS -- seriously...you are not on these pages to help other magicians, mentalist, performers, etc...

you are on these boards to be an ***hole....

Congrats my friend!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

NOW -- back to playing with your Dollies...the grown ups would like to talk...

J
xxx
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 22:38, w_s_anderson wrote:
. . .
You encompass all that this quote conveys
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I think you may have completely misunderstood that quote, unless you are comparing him to Franklin, rather than the people of whom Franklin speaks.

This thread seems to be full of ad hominem attacks and ignorance.

Quote:
On 2010-06-24 23:24, w_s_anderson wrote:
Eshla, your posts seem to make everyone else here cringe. If it weren't for American Soldiers (whom you refer to as "mercinaries" in other threads) you would most likely be speaking German. American's choose to honor those that serve their country, be it in the military, fire service, police force, ect. That is OUR culture. I feel that your continuous bashing of OUR military shows your prejudice of other cultures. You are exactly what you despise.

Are people really still trying to pass that off as an argument? I don't deny America's involvement in ending WWII, but I also don't ignore their non-involvement for the majority of it.

Nor do I ignore the debilitating Treaty of Versailles and the tragic effect it had on the people of Germany, eventually serving as a major factor in causing WWII. Not holding the USA accountable for this one, as it was the majority of other allied forces.

Also, I do respect soldiers for their sacrifice, and the danger they put themselves in. However, this does not justify the cause for them doing so. This does not mean one must respect a war, or the killing soldiers do, on both sides. Nor must we respect the devastation they cause in the countries they are "helping."

Not that these places are never left of better than they were. Just keep in mind that cutting off my arm will relieve me off an infection in my hand, that doesn't mean it was a good idea.

Just because something accomplishes a desired end does not make it a justified means.
It is not the ONLY means there are, but it often seems the only means we are willing to use.

It is also a means that we seem forced to glorify on a pedestal just because the men in the front lines have to be brave to do what they do. That doesn't make it glorious in any way, shape or form. Killing is still killing, war is still war. Even killing in self defense is terrible. It is justified, and you would commend a person who saved their own life out of necessity, but that does not alleviate the horror of it, nor does it glorify the situation. I am certain most who have had to kill in self defense would have preferred to have had another choice.

The difference is, in self defense, the situation is forced upon you, and you are not given a chance to find another option.
In going into war, there is so much deliberate action taken, and so much deliberate decision making done to get there. There is plenty of choice a long the way for a country sending its children into the battlefield. I am not saying don't do anything, just don't praise doing what is so clearly terrible, even if it is necessary, how ever rarely that is.

As for the show, Will, I would stand and applaud your performance, and I would stand and applaud your bravery, and your efforts in saving the lives of children, but I would not stand and applaud the actions of those who put those children in a situation where they needed saving, or the actions of those that keep that situation going, and make it worse by staying there in the presence that they are.

I would be a tad bit more willing to applaud someone who recognizes when something isn't working and is willing to admit that and take action to fix that, even if that action is stepping away, rather than continuing to hammer the problem trying to convince themselves, and others, that it is working, killing far to many in the process.

Back to origami, I liked it Will, but I still like Greg Frewin's best.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Did I kill the thread?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Will,
Great job on AGT and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

And eshla? never mind, why waste my time ..
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » The Night for Magic on AGT!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL