The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Streetwise - new book test » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
307 Posts

Profile of archini
Hi guys.

Just a heads up that I have a new book test coming out in the next couple of weeks.

‘STREETWISE‘

A book test that is so much more. It could be remote viewing, a bizarre ability to outdo a London cabbies knowledge or plain simple mindreading. Several strong effects in one simple London Map book.
* A street, road or lane is thought of from the index and you can name it.
* Several areas of London are thought of by 3 or 4 members of the audience and you can name them all.
* Any road/street etc, on any of the map pages is again merely thought of by a spectator and you know exactly where they are.
And best of all - It makes sense to use the book.

It is an idea I have had for six or seven years now but because of the work involved in designing the actual book it has taken a long time to come to fruition. I am just waiting on my proof copy to check that it looks as good as I hope. I have always thought that if a book needs to be given to a spectator for the purposes of a book test then the reasons for that should be clear. Hopefully with streetwise the issue is clear that you want them to think of streets or area's of London that are not the obvious or most most popular choices (Oxford Circus Leicester square etc) then handing them a map book makes sense. Presented correctly it will be more about your knowledge of London than the simple reading of a word.

The book will be a 206 page paperback map-book of London, very similar to the A-Z of London and others of that type.

Why London? Well it is an internationally known city so that in the presentation you can say that you have just returned and spent a lot of time travelling by taxi through the old and indeed new streets, gaining an uncanny ability, strong sense of direction or however you choose to get into it.

I have lots of thoughts on the presentation and routining which will be well covered in the accompanying instructions.

Any questions (within reason) then please fire away.

Oh price will be £95 direct from LULU Publishing. Or £85 from myself direct (This method will probably take longer though depending on if I have stock and where I am in the world when you order it Smile

Cheers,

John.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Its from John Archer, it must be gold.
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
307 Posts

Profile of archini
Thanks but I am due a flop. ;-)

J
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-23 14:49, Eshla wrote:
Its from John Archer, it must be gold.

This sounds like a canned Eshla reponse. :S
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Im sure it will be a winner John. Rest assured the only flop you will have will be followed by a flip....
Regards Mark
E.O.I
Gatehouse
View Profile
Regular user
Cardiff, UK
117 Posts

Profile of Gatehouse
This sounds great! A fresh approach like this is always good news and it really sounds fantastic... Can't wait to hear more.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2010-06-23 14:02, archini wrote:
Any questions (within reason) then please fire away.

John,

How does it work?

Opps... You stated within reason...

Sorry... Forget about my post! Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
Any road/street etc, on any of the map pages is again merely thought of by a spectator and you know exactly where they are.

Merely thought of?
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
307 Posts

Profile of archini
Quote:
On 2010-06-23 18:34, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Quote:
Any road/street etc, on any of the map pages is again merely thought of by a spectator and you know exactly where they are.

Merely thought of?

Well David they don't write it down or tell anyone so yup they are just thinking of it....

And you are right LOTH I have pretty much said what it does and how it works. ;-)

John
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I was privileged to have recently received a sneak preview of John's new book test (not the finished product, but a few pages and details of methodologies employed and and how they are applied). Based on that information, "Streetwise" sounds like a useful addition to a mentalist's repertoire and I look forward to obtaining a copy when it is available.

Bear in mind that while it uses street maps of London, that should not limit its usefulness to performers in Europe or the UK.
Dick Christian
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
This sounds great John, right up my street!

Do you see, do you see what I did there, good 'eh? I feel I deserve a free copy just for that pun.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
This sounds very deceptive! Thanks for making this available!

Regards,
Mike
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
307 Posts

Profile of archini
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 15:03, insight wrote:
This sounds very deceptive! Thanks for making this available!

Regards,
Mike

I haven't yet mike.... But I will. Smile
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
John, can I ask a question.

I have a routine where I use your blindfold to solve a Rubik's cube from memory (Rubik's Remembered). And if this can be done at the same time, while I am sat down, blindfolded and they are holding the book, I would love to use this as a demonstration of how I memorised the London map.

I think it would be cool. Is that possible under those conditions, and could the presentation "look" right?

P.S
Awesome blindfolded routine

Tom
xx
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10169 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
John, congrats on your new release, sounds very interesting. One additional question, when are your new DVDs coming out? I had heard sometime in 2010. Can you update us on this and what we can expect on them. Is Streetwise covered or inclued in this project? Also are you planning on attending Mindvention again this year?

Thanks!
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
307 Posts

Profile of archini
Quote:
On 2010-06-28 10:43, Eshla wrote:

I have a routine where I use your blindfold to solve a Rubik's cube from memory (Rubik's Remembered). And if this can be done at the same time, while I am sat down, blindfolded and they are holding the book, I would love to use this as a demonstration of how I memorised the London map.

I think it would be cool. Is that possible under those conditions, and could the presentation "look" right?

P.S

Tom
xx

Hi Tom, I have sort of answered this for you on the talk magic forum. Yes you could but I would wonder why the blindfold is needed. Your memory wouldn't be hampered by a blindfold?

Cheers,

John
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
307 Posts

Profile of archini
Hi too Mindpro.

I am recording the new DVD's in about three weeks time so I suppose they could be ready later in the year. Nardi is a shrewd old guy so I am sure he will have them out well before Christmas. ;-)
I am thinking of putting a performance only of Streetwise (If I can get it all together in time) which will enable people to see how it plays. There is a slim chance that Alakazam may stock it from me but still not sure. If they do they will be the only dealers who have it. I am far to nice to him.

Nothing planned for Mindvention though it is always a big temptation. It's that tough call between spending money and having fun or earning money at home and my wife keeps insisting on having a say in that one.

Cheers,

John.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
Quote:
On 2010-06-23 15:04, archini wrote:
Thanks but I am due a flop. ;-)

Now that's the kind of advertising slogan you don't hear very often. Nice to hear someone that can take themselves and their work with a pinch of salt.

(PS Sincerely not intended at a dig at anyone else, just a word of applause for this specific post)
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Quote:
On 2010-06-29 05:57, archini wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-28 10:43, Eshla wrote:

P.S

Tom
xx

Hi Tom, I have sort of answered this for you on the talk magic forum. Yes you could but I would wonder why the blindfold is needed. Your memory wouldn't be hampered by a blindfold?

Cheers,

John

The blindfold isn't for the book test its for the Rubik's cube. The idea is I have memorised the cube's configuration in a few seconds, I am then blindfolded, and solve the cube from memory, remembering where each little cube is at each individual moment.

This on its own would be quite boring, as usually it takes between 2-3 minutes to solve the cube, so I want to do a memory test at the same time using books. While I'm solving the cube, I have people call out a street name or something and I reply "Page 54, row E4" or however your method works Smile

Tom
xx
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
307 Posts

Profile of archini
In which case I would say no.. It is not an effect where you can name where they are on a map like you state. Plus I think it would make little sense IMHO. If you think that the 2 or 3 minutes solving the cube is boring then make it interesting (lots of ways to do that) I would suggest that just adding another effect would muddy the waters from a presentational point of view. Clarity is always nice in a routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Streetwise - new book test » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL