The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Thank you all for your words of encouragement regarding Americas Got Talent. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1222 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Ok, it's nearly 1 a.m. and I am not even nearly done responding to all the emails, PM's, facebooks, ect. that I have received over the past two days. I just wanted to give a blanket post thanking all of you guys who have PM'd me. I truly appreciate all the words of encouragement. I wish I could talk more about the experience, but I will definately after I'm off the show. Filming and performing in Vegas was a blast...but that's about all I can say right now. Thanks again for your support!

Scott
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I saw your performance, WS. Great job! Congrats on a performance that suited your character and style. And I'm glad you kept that mirror on the apparatus! Smile

Good luck on the rest of the series.
It's all in the reflexes.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Why did you tell them your a soldier? You got a free standing ovation just for that, which to my mind would make me feel guilty. A bit like getting the job but only because your sleeping with the boss.

Having said that it was perhaps the most entertaining version of Origami I have ever seen. No boring bits and it was genuinely spectacular. The only bits I didn't like were the bits which mentioned war and afganistan - but that's personal issues I have with ethics and stuff.

Incredible performance mate, I expect to see you in the finals.
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
First of all, I'm proud of your service, having been a US Soldier during the Iranian crisis, I have extreme respect for our military service men and woman. Thank you so much for serving your country (another standing ovation)...Second, you did the magic community proud...funny how there was talk in one of the other threads about no one being able to do Origami in 90 seconds...that settles that issue.

I don't know why some have the urge to rain on someone's parade and can't just be happy for someone without putting them down. I'm proud of you, Afganistan and all
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I second what Terry said, and enjoyed your performance very much. Hope to see many more!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Quote:
On 2010-06-24 08:00, Terry Owens wrote:

I don't know why some have the urge to rain on someone's parade and can't just be happy for someone without putting them down. I'm proud of you, Afganistan and all

don't get me wrong, your actual performance was the best I've ever seen. Fast paced and thrilling; exactly what you want from a magic audition.

However I don't want to be one of those people who is all praise and no critism, in my opinion it was a perfect execution of the trick, but I would be lying if I said I didn't dislike the massive patriotism of the thing. I have considered being a mercinary a bad thing ever since I took philosophy, and so I didn't enjoy that part of it, that's all.

But please do not get me wrong, Wills contribution to magic, by increasing it's popularity and proving to everyone just how useful Origami can be, even in these situations.

Tom
xx
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
What's wrong with just saying a kind word and leaving it at that, even if there's something you didn't like, you don't have to voice it...that is what I would call professional courtesy...

But back on topic...I can't wait to see what's coming next from him!
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Fantastic job last night. I really enjoyed it.
Best of luck to you and Thank you very much for serving our country in the military.
Bob.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7414 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Good job, Scott. I enjoyed your performance. You had a nice hook to the appearance, and I thought the personalization of the prop was a great idea.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Can anyone post a video of the performance
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I liked it all! Again I second (or fifth) the "really liking how you presented origami"!

Are we supposed to have a complaint? My only criticism, I don't like how you tie your shoes. was that really a double knot! man oh man! Some people.

All kidding aside, GREAT JOB! and GOOD LUCK in the next round.

Scott Brown
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Will...I thought you did GREAT on AGT. I also really enjoyed the write up in MAGIC about you a few months ago. AWESOME! This was a GREAT hit for Magic. A wonderful family man who puts his life on the line to serve his country and protect our freedom, who is also very talented at performing Magic, who puts on a great performance on a show that is known for hating magic and making all who perform it look foolish.

Thank you Will! I'm a FAN!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Congrats on a job well done.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2775 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Well Done Scott. Excellent job.

Wishing you the best,
Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I said it here before, but it's worth saying again, wonderful job. You did the craft proud. The cut aways to the judges' faces tells the story. They were enchanted and amazed.
As for the AGT logo and the military dress and background...friends and neighbors, that's both simple truth and great showmanship (and I've been making my living at show business since I was a child, so, like lots and lots of people around the Café', I...we...should know!).
Before contestants go onstage at AGT, they are quizzed as to their background. I'm going to guess that, if Will hadn't thought of it first, they would have suggested the military slant. Again, it's just good showmanship..and, come on, it's also true. He wasn't pretending to be a soldier...it wasn't empty jingoism...it was true. Truth plays *** well.
I'm not a warlike guy...I protested the Vietnam war, but I had a lot of friends who served. Some didn't come back.
And when that war was over, I cheered the men and women who came home.
I cheer the men and women who serve today. They didn't make the decision to start a war, but they believe that this is the way to serve their country. That's patriotism.
So, to paraphrase Howie Mandel, thank you for your service.
And thank you for your showmanship.

-Philip
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1222 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Thank you all very much! To answer the critisim of the miliary....the name of the show is "America' Got Talent." It is plastered with American flags, and it is all about patriotism. I was in uniform, because in my act I perform in uniform. Each routine in my act has a real life story from a place I have been to go along with it, some with video's/slideshows. It puts a whole new twist on magic....true patter. Anyhow, it is clearly apparent that you know nothing about that show, and how the majority of magicians are treated. We have 90 seconds to perform....that's it. We have only a few seconds to connect with our audience. It's not like a singer who goes out there and sings a song that everyone knows and they can immediately tell that he/she is good. So the best way to not get chewed up and spit out....give them what they want. Also, did you hear the judges comments afterwards, apparently it worked. You might not get this being a foreigner, but American's are very patriotic....as you can tell by the responses to your post. On top of that....are all Soldiers from your country considered mercinaries, or was that just your way of taking a cheap swipe at Our Nation's military? I can honestly tell you with all my heart that I am glad the whole military/patriotic theme of my act disturbed you. There are many great stories that come out of the hell holes we go to, but thanks to guys like you many of them do not get out. Fortunately, I have been able to get this story out to the general public. Please stay tuned, I will be sure to disturb you with future military/patriotic themed performances. All the best,

Wm. "Scott" Anderson
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Like nearly everyone here, I look forward to your future performances.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2010-06-24 11:18, w_s_anderson wrote:
Thank you all very much! To answer the critisim of the miliary....the name of the show is "America' Got Talent." It is plastered with American flags, and it is all about patriotism. I was in uniform, because in my act I perform in uniform. Each routine in my act has a real life story from a place I have been to go along with it, some with video's/slideshows. It puts a whole new twist on magic....true patter. Anyhow, it is clearly apparent that you know nothing about that show, and how the majority of magicians are treated. We have 90 seconds to perform....that's it. We have only a few seconds to connect with our audience. It's not like a singer who goes out there and sings a song that everyone knows and they can immediately tell that he/she is good. So the best way to not get chewed up and spit out....give them what they want. Also, did you hear the judges comments afterwards, apparently it worked. You might not get this being a foreigner, but American's are very patriotic....as you can tell by the responses to your post. On top of that....are all Soldiers from your country considered mercinaries, or was that just your way of taking a cheap swipe at Our Nation's military? I can honestly tell you with all my heart that I am glad the whole military/patriotic theme of my act disturbed you. There are many great stories that come out of the hell holes we go to, but thanks to guys like you many of them do not get out. Fortunately, I have been able to get this story out to the general public. Please stay tuned, I will be sure to disturb you with future military/patriotic themed performances. All the best,

Wm. "Scott" Anderson

Well said indeed!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Great Job Scott!!! That's your nitch, keep up the great work.

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
deliveryboy
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of deliveryboy
Great job and everyone who serves should get a standing ovation.
John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Thank you all for your words of encouragement regarding Americas Got Talent. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL