The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold reading and mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
I have wished for some time to be able to use cold reading in my mind reading effects, but any resource on it just talks about psychic readings, which is not where I want to go with cold reading. Any suggestions of works that pertain more to the realm of mentalism?
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2590 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I wrote my book 'James Bond Classic Reading' specifically to talk about adding cold reading to mentalism effects using a way of learning and remembering the 'classic reading' lines (which have been discussed on these forums at length - do a search for 'barnum')

HOWEVER as you will now find, quite a lot of people will now tell you that the best way to learn 'cold reading' is to learn a normal system (such as the ones you've decided not to learn i.e. Palmistry, Tarot etc) and then use what you have learned by practicing these systems in real life in your presentations of your own routines.

Cold Reading is a quite varied skillset that comes from practice and experience - in the same way you can't ride a bicycle after reading a book on how to ride one, you won't be able to use cold reading to great effect in your own mentalism routines unless you've put the time in, probably in related but not identical areas.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Well that said, I guess cold reading isn't for me.. I would really never want to tell anyone that I'm a psychic mind reader who can predict the future, and I couldn't find a link to your book that worked. Thank you however for the advice.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2590 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
You can still use cold reading, and you can use palmistry to give a 'character' reading, which is what a lot of people do anyway - simply tell the person all about themselves using what you see on the hand as a guide.

It's up to you whether you want to say you are psychic and can read the future. Personally I've never said that.
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
I learned to read palms by reading/studying Bev's book on the subject. I do not tell people that I am psychic or that I can predict their future.

Many cultures have seen a connection between the lines on the hand and a person’s "personality". What is most fascinating to me is that the meaning of a set of lines is roughly the same regardless of the time in history or location on the planet that the system was developed. By studying this system I have learned to see what those before me saw. Most often the results are very telling and can serve as a guide for the person I am “reading” for.

By the way…Thanks Bev
swiss_magician
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
161 Posts

Profile of swiss_magician
You can as well use cold reading lines in the process of divining a zodiac sign, without claiming you are psychic or predicting the future. You can use these character cold reading lines in other effects too.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2267 Posts

Profile of ddyment
A decent annotated bibliography of cold reading resources can be found here. Most — but not all — of these view it from an entertainer's perspective.
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I'm not sure I exactly what it is your looking for. You say you want your cold reading to be more in liine with mentalism; what is the difference, to you, between mentalism and psychic entertainment?

If you mean a more psychoogical bent you learn a stock reading (or Webster's Psychometry A to Z) and give a little reading, but give a faux body language explanation of how you do it. Watch the first season of "the mentalist" for examples.

My apologies if that's not what you were talking about.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Let me put it this way.. I read plenty o effects/presentations that say this "Of course [name of effect] could also be greatly enhanced with your cold reading skills."

Yet all the cold reading resources deal with it as a stand alone character reading (not what I want at all).
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 18:09, magicFreak2 wrote:

Yet all the cold reading resources deal with it as a stand alone character reading (not what I want at all).

then what exactly do you want? if you can answer that then see how you may apply these resources under that light.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2590 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
That's why I wrote my book, as I told you earlier, for mentalists who wanted to 'spice up' their mentalism in all those annoying places where the instructions read 'and then add in some cold reading' as if it was really easy and everyone can do it. The classic reading lines are actually quite useful for this, if you understand how to use them properly.

Here's the link:

http://imentalism.com/theparlour/index.p......-reading
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
As I said before, your site appears down.. 404 error.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2590 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Weird. Just tried it on three different browsers and on my phone, seems to work fine.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2267 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Fails for me too, Bev. The http://imentalism.com/theparlour/index.php/readings/ URL works fine, but many of the links from that page produce 404 errors.
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Same here, Bev. There's definitely something going on. Maybe we need to call on the guys and gals from the Bizarre section.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2267 Posts

Profile of ddyment
It's a PHP issue; if you remove the "index.php/" segment from any of the above URLs, they work fine.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 21:53, ddyment wrote:
It's a PHP issue; if you remove the "index.php/" segment from any of the above URLs, they work fine.

Thanks, works!!
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Yes, it works fine now!

Regards,
Mike
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2590 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
No idea what's going on folks. If you want to see my site you'll just have to go there and navigate it yourselves!

http://imentalism.com/theparlour/

(While you're there you may want to check out my new pitch book!)
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
As a former police interrogator, I had knowledge about applied kinesiology, NLP and some cold reading techniques. To sharpen my skills, I just read the available information which always involves some kind of divination system. After I got the feel for what was going on I just used the techniques and left out the divination system and all is well.

I use cold reading all throughout my show. I use in when utilizing the Mental Epic and I do so without any gaff. I use it whem employing The Relic or just a simple pick a card routine.

Nolan Brade has a simple down to earth e-book and I usually recommend to people who are seriously interested.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold reading and mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL