The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Trybil: AKA: The Multi-Bob Book (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
There is a new sub category at MentalCraft:'Multi Pendulums'.

http://tinyurl.com/35jgwmh

For a limited time I am offering free Worldwide shipping on all Multi-Pendula.

Any other item/items ordered along with a Multi-Pendulum will also ship free.

I am also accepting orders for personally customized Multi-Pendula.

Examples of some of the various components available can be seen throughout the individual pendulum category.

My best.
Rich
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Dick, you wrote above, "The principle behind "multi-bob" pendula is, of course, basic physics," and "I don't know (nor do the CW instructions say) whether the application of the principle of multiple pendula to a magic/mental effect was original with Ms. Jones or whether it was inspired by an earlier adaptation of the basic pendulum effect by someone else."

Let me address both issues.

Regarding basic physic, yes of course they are a major factor. As John Riggs wrote in the effect, "From A Slender Cord, Swinging," which he contributed to Trybil, "I also won't bore you with a discussion of frequency, pitch, and wave cycles."

In "A Branch From The Tree Of Knowledge", one of the two of Michael Weber's contributions to Trybil he briefly addresses the physics behind Multi-Bobs, stating, "The method is the age old series of 3 differently lengths of cord, therefore three different and independent frequencies of resonance are required to make any one of the pendulums move."

I have no issue with describing the precise method, dating back to at least the work of Galileo, as I think it is as amazing in and of itself. Of course I respectfully will not share the finer points required to get the most out of a Multi-Bob Pendulum or the routines in Trybil as that would be exposure of the heart of what for me was a labor of love.

Aside from basic physics behind pendulum movement we also have basic physiology acting on the Multi-Bob in the form of the ideomotor response. I find this the more amazing of the two operative factors, stemming as it does from the human brain. To me this is about as close to real mentalism as one can get and I have no problem with sharing this aspect with an audience so long as the explanation is brief and doesn't become pedantic.

Addressing the origins of adapting the science of pendulums to the art of deception, let me quote directly from Trybil:

"The earliest mention in the magic literature I have located is in David P. Abbott’s, 'Behind The Scenes With Mediums,' published in 1909. An excellent (and glowing) description is given and Abbott writes that he believed 'the trick was unknown to the dealers of secrets of use to mediums, and to the best of my knowledge has never become known.'" Abbott proceeds to describe other phenomena with pendulums involving bottles and frames, forms of which are also used in effects shared in Trybil.

As for the Burmese Bells, not to insult CW or the Joneses, but they pale in comparison with the wonderful creations of Rich Hennessey available at the site posted above. My first reaction when I saw a photograph, and the reaction of almost everyone else I've talked to who has either owned or seen the Burmese Bells, is that they look like a clown's prop.

Nor is this meant as an insult to clowns! It is just that the intent behind the effects in Trybil is to provide mind blowing performance pieces for mentalists and magicians. Rich's creations share this intention and are in a completely different, and most elegant, class.

Sean, it is time to get reading! I know from the quality of your own work that you will appreciate what is offered in Trybil.

And thank you Peter for giving such a glowing, simple and precise description of the concepts in Trybil. I have appreciated your own recent contributions to the field of mentalism and value your opinions.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Bill,

Thanks for the wealth of historical information contained in your post above.

As to other issues, I certainly didn't think that my reference to "basic phsyics" was either an exposure of any "secret" information or in any way demeaning of the your work in developing Trybil.

You'll also get no argument from me concerning the "look" of CW's "Burmese Bells" which I would certainly describe as "cheap" and/or "cheesy" -- certainly at the nadir of quality when compared to the look of other CW creations. I purchased it years ago primarily because I collect original CW items. I have never used it in a performance, nor would I even consider doing so. In fact, shortly after I received it, I made such a "multi-bob" prop for myself from a branch cut from a tree on my property, with various talismans hanging from thin leather thongs -- a rather "natural" or "wiccan" look -- and while I don't use it in any of my shows I have put it aside for possible use in a future "seance" or other appropriate program. The only reason I mentioned the "Burmese Bells" was to note that such a prop had been marketed on at least one occasion in the past -- not, BTW, to imply that any similar device currently being offered represented unathorized or unethical piracy of a proprietary CW item.

I offer this clarification to ensure that my earlier post to this thread is not misunderstood or misinterpreted and not to take issue with anything you have said.
Dick Christian
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Dick, not to worry! I didn't think for one second that you were exposing or demeaning anything to do with Trybil nor implying any kind of infringement. I'm sorry if my post came off that way. I fear my passion may have come off as a defense when it was, well, passion!

Truly I didn't feel for a moment that there was anything to defend. Your own scholarship just encouraged me to fill in some of the blanks.

I actually think letting people know precisely how pendulums operate, both standard and Multi-Bob, is a good thing. I have many times made purchases based on finding out how an effect works when the advertisement was designed to disguise the method.

And I've encouraged creators and sellers, when possible, to share their methods feeling they would actually sell more of their product. I know this can't be done in all cases, such as with my ebook The Fource which was nearly impossible to describe without giving up the game, or when there is a physical prop that can be easily made or purchased in another form. Think Frixion pens before they became commonly known.

I have bought high priced book tests only after knowing the method and being so impressed. Larry Becker and Lee Earle are good examples of two creators applying this logic with their book test Double Vision. They made the entire instructions available online to perspective customers and I’d bet doing so sold a lot of copies.

I think letting people know that they can buy an ebook that will teach them how to use physics and their own brain power to control the movement of one pendulum hanging from a rod with several others, while those others stay still, is a selling point. I know it would be for me!

It certainly is a significant factor in the excitement that led to my writing Trybil. The other factor for customers, and it is a strong one, are the routines contributed that even if you know the methodology offer major value. From that perspective someone who owned The Burmese Bells would have all the more reason to buy Trybil. But I don’t think they’d use them after reading it!

You might be interested to know that there are two contributions to Trybil from gentlemen who, like you, were inspired to use a tree branch as the rod for their Multi-Bob pendulum. Had I known about your routine, I would have loved to include it as well.

One last note. Another reason I would be encouraged to buy a product I know the method behind is even if I could make it myself I couldn’t make it nearly as well as a skilled craftsmen.

Which brings me to letting you know that Rich Hennessey just put up the photos of the Multi-Bobs I custom ordered as mentioned on the Pennys forum. I strongly recommend taking a look. You can find them at: http://tinyurl.com/35jgwmh

One of the coolest features that Rich built in is being able to use these as 3 or 5 pendulum Multi-Bobs without sacrificing any aesthetic or functional value. You can switch out just the bobs for special effects such as those described in Trybil and when you remove the pendulums to use individually they have very nice beads at the top for holders. But best of all, is how beautiful they turned out. Museum quality!

Just click the link above and you'll find them in Rich’s new Multi-Bob department. I'm keeping an eye out for the mailman tomorrow!
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2619 Posts

Bill,

I appreciate the clarification. I've looked at some of the pendula on Rich's site in the past, but not since he came out with his multi-bob models so I'll have to take a look at them. I have only used the one I made on a couple of occasions, mostly for friends and family, so don't really have a real "routine" for it yet. I do however, often carry a single pendulum in a small bag in my pocket (along with a "haunted key" and a deck of cards) for use if/when I need something handy for an impromptu demonstration and have a small collection of various pendula for that purpose. My favorite is a small brass "Abbe Mermet" model and for situations when something with a bizarre look is appropriate one with an antique carved ivory Japanese netsuke in the shape of a skull with a turtle on the top of its head which hangs with its "eyes" looking downward.

When I really want to amaze someone, I have a very simple one that I made -- consisting of a small lead fishing weight on the end of a thread hanging from the cork in a wine bottle sealed with wax. I am able to make it swing by simply placing the bottle on a table, then -- without touching the bottle -- placing my hands flat on the table and concentrating. It really freaks people out.
Dick Christian
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
413 Posts

Profile of Mauricio Jaramillo
Just filmed a Multi-Bob routine from Trybil on live TV; powerful stuff!

Amazing Mentalism, Excellent Author, Incredible book!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks Mauricio. It is very rewarding for me to hear about people "Multibobbing" professionally and the still you sent me from your television appearance looked great. You are very intense!

Dick, I have no idea what a Japanese netsuke is but it sounds very cool. I'd love to see a picture. The sealed in a bottle model is also a great way to freak people out, especially when done hands off as you describe. You need to try it, though not sealed in a bottle Smile, with a 5 pendulum Multi-Bob as Mauricio performed on television. If you haven't seen this done there is a video you can download from the ad at Outlaw.

I received my custom order from Rich the other day with what I have been calling The Royal China model and the smaller version, The Prince of China. Both have bamboo rods and and detachable chains with Chinese coins for the bobs.

The Royal China uses real 900 year-old Chinese coins while the Prince uses smaller replicas. Both types are removable so other bobs can be substituted and the real ancient coins didn't have to be damaged in any way.

The removable chains also allow for you to use either as a 3 bobber when needed as well as providing five beautiful standard pendulums which is great for working with a group of people. Rich used bamboo beads at the top of the chains at my request so that there is a nice holder when using them individually.

I continue to learn more every day. I was originally concerned 5 bobs might be more difficult to handle but that isn't the case at all. I'm very taken with the Royal China's sensitivity and find it both the easiest version to still and control the pendulums in any manner desired. I think it likely has something to do with the heft of the coins as well as lengths of the very sturdy chains Rich used.

It is a breeze to move any two pendulums at the same time in different ways, for example one going in clockwise circle and the other counterclockwise. This looks and feels eerie as all get out. This idea (moving two pendulums in different directions) is one of the contributions of the gentleman who posts as Funsway and is a great way to end a routine.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2619 Posts

Bill,

Netsuke are miniature sculptures that were invented in 17th-century Japan to serve a practical function (the two Japanese characters ne+tsuke mean "root" and "to attach"). Traditional Japanese garments—robes called kosode and kimono—had no pockets; however, men who wore them needed a place to store their personal belongings, such as pipes, tobacco, money, seals, or medicines.

Their solution was to place such objects in containers (called sagemono) hung by cords from the robes' sashes (obi). The containers may have been pouches or small woven baskets, but the most popular were beautifully crafted boxes (inro), which were held shut by ojimes, which were sliding beads on cords. Whatever the form of the container, the fastener that secured the cord at the top of the sash was a carved, button-like toggle called a netsuke.

Netsuke, like the inro and ojime, evolved over time from being strictly utilitarian into objects of great artistic merit and an expression of extraordinary craftsmanship. Such objects have a long history reflecting the important aspects of Japanese folklore and life. Netsuke production was most popular during the Edo period in Japan, around 1615-1868. Today, the art lives on, and some modern works can command high prices in the UK, Europe, the USA, Japan and elsewhere. Inexpensive yet faithful reproductions are available in museums and souvenir shops.

If you google Netsuke you can find pictures of various examples.
Dick Christian
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Bill, if you want to read more about Netsuke, I recommend the novel 'The Hare with Amber Eyes' by Edmund de Waal to you. It is beautifully written, and although gently paced, it tells an amazing family story that wends through Japan, Odessa, Paris and Vienna. A really beautiful book.

Also check out Edmund de Waal's website, and if you click on the "Gallery" link on the page at http://www.edmunddewaal.com/writing/ you will see some examples of netsuke. But read the book too!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
It is always so strange to see a thread emerge after two years. And in this case sad, given the loss of the last poster in 2010.

But thank you for the link muse. It all looks very interesting and I never did look into it as Dick suggested at the time.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It's 50% off on ALL of Bill's e-books, through Jan 2nd.

Folks can buy directly from Bill at wcushman@bellsouth.net and/or go to Outlaw and check out Bill's stuff in the "Arsenal". There is a link to "ebooks," and you purchase them there.

Zombie
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2018 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
This is an ancient thread, but I am a late joiner of the multi-bob party. I bought Trybil two or three years ago, but just read it carefully in the past week.

I am posting now to inform a possible update to the single option once available from Viking. Their original Burmese Bells did, indeed, feature bells hanging from a plexiglass rod. I can understand the resistance of some in this community to that appearance.

However, since this thread Viking has come out with a bamboo version. For me, this resolves any plexiglass phobia that I might have experienced. The bamboo appears pretty authentic. I now wrap mine in a burlap cloth, tied at both ends with 3/16" jute rope. (I bought both at a fabric shop for about $6.00.)

I was stimulated by a re-read of Walt Anthony's Tales of Enchantment to create a story to support the effect. My audiences like it, a lot.

Since we lost Rich, it is hard for those of us who are not arts and crafts guys to find a multi-bob on the market. Viking's bamboo version satisfies me so mush that I thought that some of you might want to check it out.

George
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Good catch, thanks George!
Gordon Astley
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Gordon Astley
Late to the party also. Anyone in the Uk selling Multi Bobs, please ?
Gordon Astley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Trybil: AKA: The Multi-Bob Book (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL