The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » pass cover up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
controlled
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of controlled
What is your favourite type of pass
IanB
View Profile
Regular user
Derby
190 Posts

Profile of IanB
I use the Invisible Turnover Pass from "Expert Card Technique" and also the Spread Pass which for me is a natural and practical move.

Smile
allanr
View Profile
New user
Houston,Tx
19 Posts

Profile of allanr
I like the riffle pass and turnover pass. Although, the most often used control for me is a side-steal.
NickW
View Profile
New user
Derby, UK
66 Posts

Profile of NickW
I don't often use a pass, but the only one I've used so far is the same as Ian's - the turnover pass from Expert Card Technique. I've tried to get the hand positioning right from the extremely detailed instructions given there, and when you combine this with the right timing it does seem deceptive. I could still do with a couple more years of practice, though...
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
The cover pass is my favorite "invisble pass". It's available in most magic books that cover the pass or on Kaufman's On the Pass or Dante Kings Practical Methods.

I also like the ear cover and the watch cover for the classic pass.

Of course, a face up riffle pass is second to none in terms of spectator amazement.
Johno
View Profile
New user
Leeds, England
1 Post

Profile of Johno
I like to use the invisible pass or the turnover pass. I find that performing the Classic pass is just too hard whilst the spectators' gazes are burning your fingers, and so I only use it with extreme misdirection.

I would like perhaps to buy Richard Kaufman's On the Pass video someday when the bank balance will allow me. But I do however own Roberto Giobbi's Card College volume 4 which has a comprehensive and excellent section on different pass methods (although it doesn't contain the classic pass as that is in an earlier volume.)

Johno
Thomas Hudecsek
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Thomas Hudecsek
Absolutly invisible, in the sense of nothing had happend is in my workings: the turn-over-pass.
what I do most often is a riffle pass covered with a wrist turn forward. (start with packet necktied and then turn them back to audience)
or top-card-cover rifflepass.
I learned the passes from a video with Ken Krenzel and Gary Quellet. FANTASTIC

Thomas Smile
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1629 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Hey guys,

Marlo's Wrist Turn Pass and Larry Jenning's Circle Shift are two shifts well worth looking into. Also, Bruce Cervon's Free Turn Pass is very nice when done properly (as everything else in magic).

Take care,
Dorian Rhodell
controlled
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of controlled
Hi just wondering could anyone tell me how to do a top card retetion pass
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1629 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Top card retention pass?

If you mean a top card COVER pass, you can find it in Larry Jennings book The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, or you can also find it Roy Waltons books.

Take care,

Dorian Rhodell
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Favorite pass: The Estimation Pass. It becomes invisible through drawing attention to it, slowing it down and even pausing in the middle of the execution.

I don't try to hide it; it's camouflaged by being disguised as another, common deck handling. Pretty sneaky, huh.

Misdirection can take the afternoon off!
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
thelastdoctor
View Profile
New user
Dayton Ohio/USA
69 Posts

Profile of thelastdoctor
Geoff,

The "Estimation Pass"?

The Last Doctor
?who?
:stout:
The Last Doctor
?who?:stout:

I’m always looking for the perfect pint or sugar free Jelly Babies...
Dream&Magic
View Profile
New user
England
16 Posts

Profile of Dream&Magic
My favourite is the Cover Pass.
I also think that the Midnight Shift is quite cute, but as a flourish. Smile
Gary Cogis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Gary Cogis
Gotta be the riffle pass for me. I like to go from a cover pass to a double to start my ambitious. I've been working a lot with shifts lately. Anyone got any tips for a diagonal palm shift????
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
When you guys do the Turnover Pass, how do you justify the turning over of the deck? Do you just use the old, "Your card is not on the bottom." line?
family/magic/music/life
David Smyth
View Profile
Regular user
Stourbridge, UK
146 Posts

Profile of David Smyth
I'd have to say that my favourite covers are the Riffle Pass and the Squaring Pass. I don't know why, but I just feel more comfortable doing them.

Thanks,
Back at the magic...
cardstain
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of cardstain
I have to say that I use the classic pass and the turnover pass quite often. But I have taken a tremendous liking to the shifts from Guy Hollingsworth in his drawing room deceptions. They are just evil and invisible when performed correctly. They completely floored the magicians at our last meeting. I highly recommend looking into Guy's book for those shifts.

Lance
"Here, hold my tooth."-Joseph
controlled
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of controlled
Hey, just wondering what do you say when you turn over your hand, what I do is pull up my sleeves or something along those lines
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
In working situations I usually go with a Turnover pass or a Shrug pass (kind of like a Giggle pass, but not).

Someone asked about what to say when performing a turnover pass. It really depends on the situation, but there does have to be a reason. Sometimes I do use the old, "your card is not on the bottom" and sometimes I just talk about turning over the deck in my patter, i.e. "the deck can be turned this way, that way, or this, but if I turn it this way...". Sometimes (like in my ambitious card routine) I'm very blatant,
"now as I turn the deck over, the card tries to get back to what is now the top, but gets stuck in the middle". Then I show the card has floated back to the middle, etc. Needless to say, in this case I'm using the pass to send the card into the middle.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Robert LAMAR
View Profile
New user
Lakeside, Nova Scotia (Canada)
75 Posts

Profile of Robert LAMAR
Quote:
On 2002-04-12 16:28, sbasscase wrote:
When you guys do the Turnover Pass, how do you justify the turning over of the deck? Do you just use the old, "Your card is not on the bottom." line?

The following would have to "make sense" within your routine/presentation, but one effective strategem is to look at your watch and make a comment about the time (i.e. "The magic will happen in less then 10 seconds," or, "This will only take a minute," etc.).
With YOU in mind...Robert LAMAR

The power of thought is the MAGIC of the MIND." - Byron

Web Site: www.RobertLAMAR.ca
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » pass cover up (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL