The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Twisting at a buffet restaurant??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docbarnes
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of docbarnes
A buffet restaurant wants to hire me to twist, but I am unsure how to work the restaurant. It is a large restaurant and I am worried that I will not be able to make it to every table that wants a balloon. I was thinking of creating a balloon line at the buffet restaurant. Everyone is already up and about getting there food and there is no lag time between ordering and delivery of the food.

Any thoughts or experiences working a buffet restaurant???

Thanks,
Doc
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I would not do the line because if the kids are in line for several min. then they are not eating, which is why they are there. It is hard enough to get kids to sit down and eat. Do the best you can, hit the tables that you can. Go to the table that request you first then the others.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
I do an All you can eat Mongolian Stir fry place & I have worked a Asian Buffet Restaurant before too.

You might get stuck with the kids for a little while at a table while the adult go a stuff their face. Like Monti says do your best and don't worry about it.

Nice thing you can hit tables in a proximity order and not a service order. Less walking....
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
docbarnes
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of docbarnes
Thanks Guys,

My meeting with the manager is next week I will not suggest a balloon line.

Thanks,

Doc
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
From experience I can also say that if you rely on tips in addition to an hourly wage from the restaurant to hit your "magic number" you may want to ask for more money from the restaurant. Good luck.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I personally decline to work buffets like Golden Corrals and such. Most want me to work from a single spot in the restaurant. My sole purpose for working restaurants is be paid to audition my entertainment skills for the parents, my prospective clients. In buffet lines, I become a babysitter for the kids and the parents rarely see me. Refuse to give a clingy kid a second, third or tenth balloon and suddenly you have an entitled mother complaining to the manager.

On the other hand, I won't table-hop in buffets because it's VERY difficult in larger places to hit everyone as they finish eating and I am uncomfortable approaching a table as they're eating. Inevitably, someone is going to complain to the manager that I "ignored" them.

From my experience, there's no way to win in these joints. As always, this is based on my experience and entertainment style. The buffet may work well for you. Good luck.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
docbarnes
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of docbarnes
That is what I am concerned about Skip Way. This is a local buffet restaurant and it is different than a golden corral, but the place is huge and stays very busy.

It should be an interesting meeting.

Doc
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Make sure it is mutually beneficial! Don't make concessions for them if they are going to hurt you. There's thousands of other restaurants out there. If it works, it works. If it's not going to be good for either party, part with a handshake. Good luck.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
454 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
My wife and I have permanent stations for balloons and face painting in a huge pizza/birthday party place. We both sit and the kids come to us. I won't do walk-around with balloons because the kids are more than happy to come to me anyway. Plus I have my gag props all set and ready to grab as I twist.
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
I occasonally do twisting at the local Pound 'O' Gristle (Ponderosa) and They ask me to set up in a specified place, rather than work tables. I think the bottom line is the customer is always right: Even when they have no idea what they are doing!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I guess it depends on why you're working the joint. If one is chasing a steady paycheck and the occasional buck tip, then working a stationary position makes some sense and, yes, the customer is right.

If, like me, you're looking to promote your skills through a live audition before the parents and other potential adult clients (business owners, marketeers, managers...) then the stationary position is mostly a waste of time (IMO); they rarely see you in action. In this case, the customer is wrong - wrong for me.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
That's my point, Skip. "Even when they have no Idea...." I would love to be able to table hop!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I hear ya, Buddy! Smile

CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
454 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I sit in one spot. My set-up is there 24/7. When I'm there I have 3 big, bright lights (flashing) on it plus signs and an outdoor red & white 5 foot umbrella. The visual screams "here I am!" even when my mouth is shut (which is almost never.) My schtick uses plenty of sounds to help get their attention. Plus my jokes and gags result in a constant accompaniment of laughs and applause. I make my time and space there an event and it's the rare patron who doesn't see me. Gotta make 'em WANT to come see you.....
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Twisting at a buffet restaurant??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL