The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This is protest? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim

Ok I understand being unhappy with policies and practices of pretty much every country on the planet. I understand being outraged that a small number of people control the vast majority of wealth in the world. I get that.

But what does smashing windows and burning cars have to do with all this? Who accomplishes what with this.

Story.

I really don't get it.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
To your credit Magnus Eisengrim, you see all those who came to protest, come in peace. With the highest and purest of intentions of righting society's ills.

Good for you. Really.

But sadly, some people just want to watch the world burn.

Any chance they get.

Imo...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Where do anarchists get their money?
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Their evil capitalist mommies.

Don't be surprised John, I already said those types of folks are always wrong in their actions.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? got to justify the equipment upgrades somehow.
the blame game.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh there are groups who just want to have things to be angry about and then show up and fester this in others. They show up at soccer matches, football games and so forth.

They are they ones who turn peace rallies into violence. Fortunately the new facial recognition technology has gone a long way to getting on the way to stopping them. They are in business believe it or not and make pretty good money.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Danny, that is very cool from an abnormal psych perspective. Are there profile studies etc on how these folks think and how they integrate this displacement into the rest of their lives?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
Fire is about the only thing we are freighted of up here in our castle upon the hill.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'd've thought that picture was connected to a World Cup result.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Another question – have the G20 members ever thought of teleconferencing? Then, there would be no real place for the protestors to go.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3124 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
In response to the question of "This is protest?", we could also ask "This is policing?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h3nCoNvldk
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-26 17:58, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
To your credit Magnus Eisengrim, you see all those who came to protest, come in peace. With the highest and purest of intentions of righting society's ills.

Good for you. Really.

But sadly, some people just want to watch the world burn.

Any chance they get.

Imo...

I don't condone such actions, but peaceful civil disobedience only goes so far, and has been so perfectly co-opted and marginalized since the end of the 1960's, that many people feel that the violent tactics of the enemy are the only way to get things done. They will become that which they intend to fight, or be crushed underneath it...

This is less a protest than the temper tantrums of an infant revolution.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3124 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Let's also not forget that the use of agents provocateurs as a tactic to undermine peaceful protests has been employed both by the Canadian Police and by G20 security in the past.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is silly trying to use violence against power. The thing to do is not fight power but seize power. Then you can use all the violence you like and win.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-06-27 07:08, gaddy wrote:... that many people feel that the violent tactics of the enemy are the only way to get things done. They will become that which they intend to fight, or be crushed underneath it...

This is less a protest than the temper tantrums of an infant revolution.

It is evidence for a typical cycle of violence and abuse. I like the word revolution - and Lennon's song. Some things at the center stay the same and there's some shifting outwardly - much disturbance along the periphery and in the end ... well does it really matter what you call a rose?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-06-26 19:14, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Danny, that is very cool from an abnormal psych perspective. Are there profile studies etc on how these folks think and how they integrate this displacement into the rest of their lives?

Never seen one. Only know that if you spot the same faces enough times in enough spots you connect the dots enough to hand out pics and profiles to cops. That was 20 years ago when I was a cop.

These people may have an ideology, but money motivates them. It is a business. Now I am not saying all of them mind you. Nowhere near. But those who are emotionally charged are easily influenced to say the least.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 07:01, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
In response to the question of "This is protest?", we could also ask "This is policing?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h3nCoNvldk

Hard to tell what's happening there. There are a number of obvious stops and starts in the footage, and the police always begin their action immediately after an edit.

This is not to excuse anybody, but the footage does more to distort than to illuminate.

I hope nobody actually believes either

1. Protesters are good and police are bad.

or

2. Protesters are bad and police are good.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
Do you like the new black uniform of the executioner in the new fascist fashion? I think yellow would suit them better.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
So, magicians, where shall we direct our attention? To the bright fiery light over there, or to the quiet men behind the oak panels plotting their next acts?

edit reason: (note to self)it's only a magic board, it's only a magic board . . .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This is protest? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL