The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This is protest? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I hope that the "die dogs" painted on was not directed at any dogs in that were left in the car.

Sorry, one flaming car that was due to be replaced a few years ago in the middle of an economics protest just does not elicit much despair for me. However, reading naive analysis of the event is starting to have some effect.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jesse_james_mcguire
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jesse_james_mcguire
Some of these things are caused by the police to justify there force.

Also you should check out http://www.infowars.com I have found some good information there.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 09:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-26 19:14, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Danny, that is very cool from an abnormal psych perspective. Are there profile studies etc on how these folks think and how they integrate this displacement into the rest of their lives?

Never seen one. Only know that if you spot the same faces enough times in enough spots you connect the dots enough to hand out pics and profiles to cops. That was 20 years ago when I was a cop.

These people may have an ideology, but money motivates them. It is a business. Now I am not saying all of them mind you. Nowhere near. But those who are emotionally charged are easily influenced to say the least.

It's not money that is motivating the G20 protesters, it's injustice.

Organizations like crimethinc and disinformation.com are not in it for the money. There is very little money to be made this far out on the margins of society.

These sorts of folks are attempting to scratch out a living on their wits and attempting to stay true to their principles.

I don't know what the people who burned the Filth-mobile were trying to do. Probably, they really don't either.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The Filth, as in Grant Morrison's comic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Filth_%28comics%29
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 15:07, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
The Filth, as in Grant Morrison's comic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Filth_%28comics%29

British slang for cops, but yeah -that's from where it entered my vocabulary. That and the BBC comedies.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 14:50, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Danny, that is very cool from an abnormal psych perspective. Are there profile studies etc on how these folks think and how they integrate this displacement into the rest of their lives?

Never seen one. Only know that if you spot the same faces enough times in enough spots you connect the dots enough to hand out pics and profiles to cops. That was 20 years ago when I was a cop.

These people may have an ideology, but money motivates them. It is a business. Now I am not saying all of them mind you. Nowhere near. But those who are emotionally charged are easily influenced to say the least.

Some yea, and those are often manipulated.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Gaddy has a point, they should ban the police and things will be a lot safer and better.....dang those filthy scum.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3124 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 09:37, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 07:01, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
In response to the question of "This is protest?", we could also ask "This is policing?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h3nCoNvldk

Hard to tell what's happening there. There are a number of obvious stops and starts in the footage, and the police always begin their action immediately after an edit.

This is not to excuse anybody, but the footage does more to distort than to illuminate.

I hope nobody actually believes either

1. Protesters are good and police are bad.

or

2. Protesters are bad and police are good.

John

The major problem is that these tactics have a chilling effect on free speech. Who would want to go to participate in a meaningful protest knowing that the police are liable to pull this sort of junk?

Here's another one of plain-clothes officers arresting somebody. Look at the how the person taking footage is attacked, and then singled out at the line despite obviously not infringing on the barrier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XgEI5dCrE

One can see in the planning before the summit that there's been a great deal of effort to isolate and control the protests far and away from the actual meetings. They've set up a free speech zone (erm... last I checked, CANADA is supposed to be a free speech zone) far from the talks, with the promise that footage of the protests will be sent into the meetings so that the leaders will know about it (a laughable concept).

I'm not entirely without sympathy for the individual policemen there, since a lot of the footage has shown a great deal of adrenaline pumping on both sides. The key difference, though, is that in this situation, the police have been given the right to carry weaponry -- with that right comes a great deal of responsibility. Carrying away protesters so that their face is dragging along asphalt, or assaulting and intimidating individuals with cameras, crosses the line. That's the sort of thing that makes regular people cheer on the Black Bloc or maybe think about picking up a brick themselves.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Well, Andrew, I don't want to debate police tactics in a scene for which I have little to no context. All I can say is that a line of bicycles doesn't look particularly menacing to me. But it could be that the police were unnecessarily waving their batons near people. I could not make out what all was happening.

The original question remains: What is the "protest point" of burning cars and smashing shop windows?

John

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
The point is it gets your attention, obviously.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3124 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
A line of bicycles on its own might not be menacing, but a large group of plain clothes officers ambushing a protester and threatening and intimidating random bystanders with batons before dragging said protester behind that line of bicycles strikes me as a different thing altogether. And let's not underestimate the nature of those batons. I've had a chance to sit with a martial arts instructor and learn exactly what can be accomplished with them -- here's a fascinating tidbit: the shorter the baton, the more lethal it can be.

Quote:
The original question remains: What is the "protest point" of burning cars and smashing shop windows?

Dunno. Again, with the police and security forces having a documented history of employing agents provocateurs, I tend to view the results of these sorts of things with a grain of salt.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
Good point. Good way to get a new police car and overtime pay.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 16:18, MagicSanta wrote:
Gaddy has a point, they should ban the police and things will be a lot safer and better.....dang those filthy scum.

I didn't say that or imply that. You know this, but you say it to earn some kind of points. Dirty pool, pal. Dirty pool.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 15:26, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 14:50, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some yea, and those are often manipulated.

This is very true.

Yet the authorities are never questioned in such a way... Apparently they are above any such manipulations. No one tells them what to do except the good and pure rule of law that can never be wrong, and their actions are never challenged... Until someone is killed, or caught on video.

I guess that's the advantage of being the biggest gang on the turf.

I, for one, refuse to submit so blindly.

Question authority.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 12:35, tommy wrote:
Do you like the new black uniform of the executioner in the new fascist fashion? I think yellow would suit them better.

Hehehe. Yellow striped, anyhow...
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 17:03, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
with the promise that footage of the protests will be sent into the meetings so that the leaders will know about it (a laughable concept).

Precisely.
These protests only serve to show peoples unrest,as that,uncontrollable unrest!
Do you think these actions make a blind bit of difference to the geezers in charge?
The Pentrich revolution(Happened on my doorstep)the Tolpuddle martyrs and the Luddites were there early and achieved very little really,at great human cost.
The suffragettes were also vilified,in press as well as in real life,and also achieved what would be on the cards in the following years anyway.
Protesting in todays climate though is utterly fruitless,as the world(sometimes regrettably)has moved on.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is,haven't these people got anything better to do?
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 18:04, Ray Tupper. wrote:
I suppose what I'm trying to say is,haven't these people got anything better to do?

Indeed. Both sides are quite reminding me of a bunch of bored schoolyard gangs. About to launch the sound cannon, apparently. Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I bet things would be different if all the Canadian mercs were not in the gulf protecting BP.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 18:04, Ray Tupper. wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 17:03, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
with the promise that footage of the protests will be sent into the meetings so that the leaders will know about it (a laughable concept).

Precisely.
These protests only serve to show peoples unrest,as that,uncontrollable unrest!
Do you think these actions make a blind bit of difference to the geezers in charge?
The Pentrich revolution(Happened on my doorstep)the Tolpuddle martyrs and the Luddites were there early and achieved very little really,at great human cost.
The suffragettes were also vilified,in press as well as in real life,and also achieved what would be on the cards in the following years anyway.
Protesting in todays climate though is utterly fruitless,as the world(sometimes regrettably)has moved on.

***I suppose what I'm trying to say is,haven't these people got anything better to do?***
Ray.

Well I suppose they could just continue to suffer. They seem to do that pretty well...

Maybe there is something good on TV? I don't know...
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Piles of superficial BS all the way around.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This is protest? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL