The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Fake or something else??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Muzz
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Muzz
Hi, I've become interested in hypnosis recently, or more specifically stage hypnosis, hence my recent activity in this forum. I've purchased a few stage show dvds just to see what it looks like in action and I've really enjoyed them. However, one thing I noticed that I'd like your opinions on. In one dvd the hypnotist assigned different pieces of music to different spectators, saying that each one would carry out a post-hyp everytime they heard their song. Interestingly enough out of the three spectators the first two carried out their post-hyps perfectly when their music played, however the hypnotist made a mistake and pressed the wrong button for the final spectator resulting in a totally different piece of music. Here's the thing...the final spectator STILL acted on their post-hyp, which says to me two things: Either
a) The spectator was faking all along and made the mistake of acting on the wrong piece of music
b) The subconscious expectancy of the spectator that "his piece of music would be next" caused him to act.
OR some third option that I don't know. What do you think? Was this guy just faking it? This was towards the end of the show which means if he was he had been faking for well over an hour.

Thoughts?
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Could have been either reason. If hypnotised I would be surprised if he did this though.

In my first show everyone on stage had done everything I asked and I was confidnt they were hypnotised. They had all done a variety of group and individual routines. Halfway through I told them that when I counted to three they would jump up believing they were Eminem, dance rap and sing like him etc and anyone else who appeared to do the same they would out Eminem them. My soundman cued the music and I bellowed 1,2 wide awake.

No one moved. Not a flicker of interest, not an eye open or even a shift in position. The musical cue had no effect in confusing them. Non one moved because I made the mistake of saying 1,2 wide awake and not counting to three as I suggested I would. For me it was an illustration of how literally suggestions can be taken. It was also a reminder to be consistent with my trigger Smile

That is why I think it more likely that in the example you gave the subject was trying too hard rather than being confused or responding automatically.

All the best

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
I don't know about anyone else here, but, when it comes to stage hypnosis, your results are a potpouri:

1: You will have some people that do as suggested perfectly - this makes for a solid skit.

2: You will have some people that somewhat do as suggested, but, they like to go astray from you had in mind - This can take a skit to a higher level. The best stuff is the unscripted/unexpected stuff that happens. If you are quick on your feet, this is to your benefit.

3: You will have some people that do it part of the time - If it is a song based skit, they may possibly not know the song, or I guess, could hate the song so much personally, they kind of " block it out"...maybe??

4: You will also have some people that do nothing - This is my wife. She is what I refer to as "hypno-lazy". Once she gets into a state of hypnosis, she goes straight past levels 1 through 4 and usually hovers in around 5 or 6. She will do some things given to her, but, you can see the look of aggrevation on her face. When I bring her out ( which is quite a task, I might add ), her response is " It just felt so good being there ,that, doing what you told me was irritating me. I just wanted to be left alone there for a while." She is naturally a lazy person, so I guess this figures into her personality.

She went on stage at someone else's show 2 years ago and did the exact same thing. She did absolutely nothing that was suggested to her. Long story short, the guy comes to me and says " I can't get her up. Take her home and she will be okay." I said, " Just threaten to take her out and never allow her to go to that place again and she will usually start to wake right up." He did....and she sorta woke up. I went up and said a few nasty things I was going to do to her in bed...she snapped out of it ( evidently twisting the sheets with me is not her idea of a good time ). He realized I was a hypnotist at that point. We talked for about an hour. He said he gets someone like that about 1 out of 8 or 9 shows, but, never had one as bad as her. -Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You mean somebody asked you to take someone home who was still in a deep state of hypnosis? that's a really bad hypnotist. And one reason why it should be regulated.
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
In his defense, she was not completely "in" at this point. She was in and out.....mostly out. Which is typical for her. She is an odd duck. If I were to put her in and take her out immediately, she would go straight to bed....done!! She has been that way from the very first time she was hypnotized.-Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Some of us think it is all fakery. If I ever hypnotised anyone it was by accident.
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
I said mostly out.... I meant she was mostly in trance. -Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
I think that he could have been faking it, but on the other hand,you never know how the unconscious mind is going to react to a stimulus. For example, sometimes when I perform X-Ray glasses to a bunch of people at the same time, I get most of them seeing people naked through the glasses, but some of them just see everybody naked without wearing the glasses, which gives me room for a good joke even though they are not doing exactly what I suggested.

Giovanni.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Tony

that's right they often fake being hypnotised even after the show. They pretend to be in a trance.

Makes perfect sense...I mean its prett logical eh?

Tiriri

If they are seeing naked people without glasses your suggestions need tweaked.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
>>>>a) The spectator was faking all along and made the mistake of acting on the wrong piece of music
b) The subconscious expectancy of the spectator that "his piece of music would be next" caused him to act.
OR some third option that I don't know. What do you think? Was this guy just faking it? This was towards the end of the show which means if he was he had been faking for well over an hour.

Thoughts? <<<<

If I saw it I could tell if someone was faking it almost immediately. However since I didn't see it would assume that if it wasn't fake then suggestions need tweaked.

However there are some hypnotists who continue with people faking it. I get them off the stage immediately. Its a sign of an inexperienced or badly skilled hypnotist who isn't in control of the show.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
If you believe they are all faking it, then you will inevitably end up with a stage full of fakes. I tend to eliminate the bad and obvious fakes, keeping those who are throwing themselves into it completely.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Your logic makes no sense. And why would someone continue to fake it after the show and not come out of trance? Or fake amnesia? I think you fake believing its fake. Its more obvious that your beliefs are fake.

How are things anyway not seen you on here much?
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
Full and unrelenting confidence is needed for this art. Fortunately for me, I have the perfect blend of arrogance and ignorance. Not everyone can do this. I said this in another thread and kind of got slapped around about it.

It is not that they can't learn it, but, it requires a certain type of character to pull this off successfully. As an example, in high school, I played and loved football ( American football to my brothers across the pond ). I had great physique and size ( 6'1" and 220 pounds and all muscle then....all fat now...and a few more pounds ). I was supposed to play for Penn State.....there was just one wee little problem. I SUCKED!! I knew all the plays. I knew all the techniques. I just didn't have "it".....whatever "it" is. I practiced on my own as well as scheduled practices. I really worked hard and everybody knew it....coaches, parents, team mates, friends. Nobody on that team worked as hard as I did, but, I just wasn't that good. Could have been physiological, psychological, both.... whatever. It was what it was.

I feel hypnosis as well as most other things in life are like this. You may want it, but, you may not get it. You may go to all the clinicals, watch the DVD's, read the books and still not be able to perform if you do not sell yourself to your audience.

I notice all the different personalities on this forum and several of them really get on by bashing others for their confessed techniques and ideals. I also noticed that the members I consider to be top notch professionals, avoid this as it is bad for their business as well , even more so, know that not everything works the same way for everybody. Ant is very smooth. Nongard is an authoritarian. Cerbone's amp goes to 11. This works for them and will not work for me. I have a completely different approach and it works well....for me.-Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
Hi mindpunisher,

You are probably right about the suggestions because I did notice a couple of times that I was emphasizing too much about seeing people naked, so probably they took that part of the suggestion it literally ignoring the glasses part.

Giovanni.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Emphasize this ::: "Only when you look through the glasses do you see them naked these are magic glasses".

Or emphazise that the glasses are magic without them everything is normal but when you look through them you see everyone naked.

Also think about the reactions you want to work with to make it funnier. You might say somethin like " you will be really impatient to get your turn because you will be really looking forward to lookng through those glasses and you will be unable to contain your excitement"

" when you get them you will be totally amazed at what you see it will be be one of the most erotic experiences you will ever have etc"

You could also pick on one and tell them it will an awful experience all the women or all the men will be really fat and flabby or whatever.

I don't do this skit but If I were to I would try and squeeze more out of it by amplifying the reactions and then trying to get them to all play off each other.

You could get two of them arguing about what they see one saying how sexy the women are and describing details and he other disagreeing telling what he says. Winding the volunteers up and getting them interacting with each other can pull up some funny moments that you couldn't script.

Just an idea.
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
Thanks for the advice mindpunisher! You gave me some good ideas Smile

Giovanni.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Tony is obviously a knowledgable guy. But I also have challenges with his claims of faking etc. The obvious answer is that our collective communications (in The Café)are mixed up, indeed that our belief maps of what this stuff actually is does NOT allow us to start from the same premises. When that happens it's almost impossible to find a common ground and a total waste of time arguing.
For what it's worth I've been fortunate enough to talk and work with some of the great hypnotists, who in some cases, claimed there was 'no such thing as hypnosis'.
It was only later, sitting down with a nice glass of wine that allowed us to openly explain our individual premises and maps that we came to agreement... always. (and that agreement was never that one of us was right and the other wrong).
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You've not sat down with me yet...

I think you probably subscribe to most of what I think anyway...
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
No I haven't sat down with you yet Brysie. But I have on two occasions allowed you to kiss my hand and curtsey (which you did very well). I know there's other guys reading this but I don't care. You're cute... very cute. Just don't think I haven't noticed! ok?
Also you're a class above. What other hypnotist gets guys to strip off in a bath an w-nk each other off to the tune of 'Said the pink toothbrush to the blue toothbrush'? Your a fecking class act and that's undeniable!!!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Well I was brought up proper ya ken.,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Fake or something else??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL